Scrappy border

Old September 15th 12, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Scrappy border

Well, not a scrappy border; scrappy quilt Needs a border. The grand
production underway here is bits and pieces totally at random. Putting
scraps of everything I've made for years was fun and the result is .. .
umm.. looking for the word. Raucous? Noisy? Abundantly cheerful? No
matter. You have the idea.
I'm thinking next comes a skinny strip of something dark and then a
maybe 3 1/2" quiet border. A wallpaper sort of floral stripe would be
pretty, a black/white something would be dramatic. A plain solid would do no
harm.
"They say" that great artists need someone to come bop them on the head
when it is time to stop. I don't need bopping but I don't know how to close
this one off. Anybody every tried it? Polly

Old September 15th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

How about a narrow Sairey strip of red, then an outer border?
I sew my two borders together, then first put the sides on, adding top and bottowm last. It makes a great frame. My stash includes many shades/prints of red and many know my projects byt that Sairey strip

Ginger in CA

Old September 15th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Either a dark plain border or a dark plain binding. That's the simple
solution. If you really need to subdue it, how about some kind of dark
silhouette applique on top of all the chaos? Remember those lovely
garden gates?
Or if you think it might need to be bigger, you could slice the whole
top into wide-ish diagonal strips and insert strips of dark and plain.
Roberta in D

Old September 16th 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 21:57:49 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

Well, not a scrappy border; scrappy quilt Needs a border. The grand
production underway here is bits and pieces totally at random. Putting
scraps of everything I've made for years was fun and the result is .. .
umm.. looking for the word. Raucous? Noisy? Abundantly cheerful? No
matter. You have the idea.
I'm thinking next comes a skinny strip of something dark and then a
maybe 3 1/2" quiet border. A wallpaper sort of floral stripe would be
pretty, a black/white something would be dramatic. A plain solid would
do no harm.
"They say" that great artists need someone to come bop them on the
head
when it is time to stop. I don't need bopping but I don't know how to
close this one off. Anybody every tried it? Polly

I like the idea of matching your binding to your Sarah strip and then
doing a "tamed" scrappy border in between.
Something on the order of a picket fence or a braid with your scraps
arranged so as to march around the color wheel, or perhaps organized by
tone. Maybe pair them with a neutral background and do half a Kentucky
Chain? Depends on what you have.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 16th 12, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Had a neighbor friend over tonight. She was doing a Seminole border and I
went through EVERY quilting book here trying to decide. The pure truth is -
I don't know what decade it was that I really turned through all of my
quilting books. All too often I've bought a book, glanced through it and
never really loved it. It was a few hours well spent. Do you ever go wallow
in your quilt books? Polly

Old September 16th 12, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Not often enough! A few years ago I had a broken finger, and that's a
real incentive to get all the ancient magazines and old books out for
a good review and culling. But wouldn't wish it on anyone, and it
shouldn't take something that drastic to motivate us!
Roberta in D

Old September 16th 12, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

It has been 13months since I last used a sewing machine! In that time, I
have definitely 'wallowed' in my hundreds of books and magazines (both
virtual and otherwise).....I want to sew again. The closest I have come to
that = ironing some new fabrics to shelve. Barnyowl

Old September 16th 12, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Well, not exactly wallow, but sometime peruse to see misforgotten projects or inspirations. Several years ago I culled my old Quilters Newletter magazines, pulling articles I wanted to keep and recycling the balance. Those two big binders are in my 6'h x 36'w design source bookcase [basically full!] It is pretty interesting - and sometimes confounding! - to see all the different things that have caught my eye over the years.

Ginger in CA
finishing up a small WUH to go to my dad

Old September 16th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

I love scrappy quilts!! And I spent much of the weekend at our guild
retreat working on our next raffle quilt which is scrappy. We're doing
string piecing onto a WOW foundation. The result gives sort of a 4
pointed star effect. For a border we are doing a narrow border of the
foundation then a 3" rim of more of the strips. The result is not
subtle, that's for sure. But oh so wonderful to look at!
Allison

On 14/09/2012 10:57 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
Well, not a scrappy border; scrappy quilt Needs a border. The grand
production underway here is bits and pieces totally at random. Putting
scraps of everything I've made for years was fun and the result is .. .
umm.. looking for the word. Raucous? Noisy? Abundantly cheerful? No
matter. You have the idea.
I'm thinking next comes a skinny strip of something dark and then a
maybe 3 1/2" quiet border. A wallpaper sort of floral stripe would be
pretty, a black/white something would be dramatic. A plain solid would
do no harm.
"They say" that great artists need someone to come bop them on the
head when it is time to stop. I don't need bopping but I don't know how
to close this one off. Anybody every tried it? Polly

First brights; now scrappy!! Patti Quilting 19 July 4th 09 09:21 PM
W.I.P. Scrappy Quilt Bronnie[_2_] Quilting 11 March 5th 09 03:25 AM
Scrappy SNIGDIBBLY Quilting 4 July 23rd 05 08:54 PM
Scrappy quilts Julia in MN Quilting 24 August 29th 04 07:03 PM
scrappy quilt & ot Christina in Ok Quilting 3 January 28th 04 10:07 AM