Tote Bag

Old July 12th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Default Tote Bag

Got the 'Olympics 2012' Tote Bag I entered for the WI competition in our
County Show back yesterday and have just got round to taking its photo.
It had to show at least one sport so I chose Swimming which has 4
sections. The criticism card said 'An attractive and practical bag -
good use of coloured fabrics and well stitched. Pale fabrics not too
suitable for wear'. I am still puzzling over the final sentence as I sit
here in my white tee shirt and blue and white skirt. Dare I be seen in
public!
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old July 12th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

What fun, good for you for doing it.
Love the little circles/heads with union flags. Are they buttons by any
chance? 9though one head seems to have two bits, so perhaps not). Nice
quilting - walls and water.
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
Got the 'Olympics 2012' Tote Bag I entered for the WI competition in
our County Show back yesterday and have just got round to taking its
photo. It had to show at least one sport so I chose Swimming which has
4 sections. The criticism card said 'An attractive and practical bag -
good use of coloured fabrics and well stitched. Pale fabrics not too
suitable for wear'. I am still puzzling over the final sentence as I
sit here in my white tee shirt and blue and white skirt. Dare I be seen
in public!

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 13th 12, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

The heads were all black circles with the flag bits appliqued. I was
fortunate that someone had given me some Union Jack fabric a couple of
years ago. I covered the button that fastens the bag.

Unfortunately I didn't get to the show as the second day, when I was
going was evacuated and cancelled due to high winds blowing various
things around and danger of the marquees collapsing. Fortunately the WI
tent didn't blow away!

I don't really enjoy the stress of entering things in competitions, but
there is no escape as unfortunately, despite having about 70 members
people are very unwilling to join the show group despite the different
categories covering flower arrangement, photography,poster design and
all sorts of crafts. We even had knitted scones, felt cakes and the most
wonderful flour and water modelled prawn and lettuce sandwiches for the
Wimbledon tea category!

On 12/07/2012 17:51, Pat S wrote:
What fun, good for you for doing it.
Love the little circles/heads with union flags. Are they buttons by any
chance? 9though one head seems to have two bits, so perhaps not). Nice
quilting - walls and water.
.
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

Old July 13th 12, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Been poondering that last staement.wondered if the judge 'expected a darker
fabric' for the bottom? It would ahve had to have been a separate piece like
a base............but what would you have used for it.....the same fabric
that you used for the binding..or a ddeper shade of blue to continue the
water theme? That is puzzling.

Anyway, I like it the way it is. Good work.

Butterfly (Listening to the wind howl without the promised rain)

Old July 13th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

The binding was stripes of this year's horrible Olympic colours of
orange, green, blue and purple - they do not go together! I didn't do a
base as I thought that might incur penalties if they folded it and
included it in the overall permitted size, and it was less likely to be
criticised, I'm getting quite a cynic!

Thanks everyone for nice comments.

Old July 13th 12, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Love the swimmers! I'd be puzzling over that comment too -surely they
don't think we care whether the best colors are the most practical? If
we did, then there'd hardly be anything that wasn't brown or black :-p
Roberta in D

Old July 15th 12, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

I really like your back Sally. Could I please snatch the idea (sort of) to
make an Olympic bag for a young friend?

Colours are just perfect.

Cheers,
Di
Vic Aus

Old July 15th 12, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Of course - the figures were quite easy and there are lots of the
silhouettes on all the Olympic sites, though I took 3 of mine from a
wall-hanging project in a magazine to avoid copyright issues. The diving
one I did from scratch which explains its short legs! I lined bag with
clear plastic over the blue water lining fabric so its a swimming bag.

Old July 16th 12, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Firstly, I meant to say "I really like your bag" - thumbs got in the way of
typing.

Thank you, I know my little friend is going to like it. Thanks also for the
advice re copyright and tips in making the bag.