Choosing Ginghers?

Old June 23rd 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Choosing Ginghers?

DDIL thoroughly safely hid her best scissors. For good reason. Naturally I
loaned her my favorites until hers appear. Which, woe, forces me to buy a
new pair of scissors. Any reason at all will do just fine but it is not
easy. I find that there a knife edge, serrated edge, serrated knife edge
and if that's not tricky enough, there's one I've never heard mentioned.
Spring-action knife edge. Anybody tried those? Any up or down experience
with any of the edges available? Polly

Old June 23rd 12, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:11:42 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

DDIL thoroughly safely hid her best scissors. For good reason.
Naturally I loaned her my favorites until hers appear. Which, woe,
forces me to buy a new pair of scissors. Any reason at all will do just
fine but it is not easy. I find that there a knife edge, serrated
edge, serrated knife edge and if that's not tricky enough, there's one
I've never heard mentioned. Spring-action knife edge. Anybody tried
those? Any up or down experience with any of the edges available? Polly

I prefer a plain knife edge.
The spring action ones are handy if your hands are stiff, or sometimes
when you are doing those teeny tiny cuts with teeny tiny scissors.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old June 23rd 12, 08:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Haven't tried a Gingher version; but I have tried spring-action
scissors. I am beginning to have achy problems with my right hand and
the fact that you don't have to 'pull back the blades after making a cut
is a real help. If you are accustomed to using a pair of well made
seccateurs, you will know the good feeling when the blades spring apart
ready for the next cut. The scissors work in the same way - a great
boon. And, if they are made by a company with the reputation Ginghers,
they are bound to be great - even if you have no problems with hands or
fingers.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
DDIL thoroughly safely hid her best scissors. For good reason.
Naturally I loaned her my favorites until hers appear. Which, woe,
forces me to buy a new pair of scissors. Any reason at all will do
just fine but it is not easy. I find that there a knife edge,
serrated edge, serrated knife edge and if that's not tricky enough,
there's one I've never heard mentioned. Spring-action knife edge.
Anybody tried those? Any up or down experience with any of the edges
available? Polly

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old June 23rd 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

yup, what Pat said i agreen with.
also might i suggest making some pretty Fobs to attach to all scissors so
they never get lost or mistaken for anyone elses. i made 3 of them back in
05? with purple star beads, smaller LIME green and white beads and a couple
of sterling silver (i think) charms (leaf and butterfly). one lives here,
one in Washington state and one in Arizona now. i hope those other 2 work
as well as mine does for not losing those scissors.
i should have made more at the time but i was in a bit of a rush then.
i love mine anyhow.
good luck with finding just the perfect pair of scissors for you.
j.

"Pat S" wrote ...

Old June 24th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I'm not about to confess how many pairs of Gingher there are here. I know
there are more expensive makers but these serve me well. One of my favorite
parts of being a Gingher maniac is that you truly can ship them to their
nice sharpening guys and they will make them seriously new all over again.
There are guest stitchers here and to identify 'mine' ( mine, mine,
alllllll mine) I've put polka dots of lime green plain old Tulip craft paint
on the outside of the upper blade. Cheap and easy.
Meanwhile back to 'choosing', I believe I'll try the spring-action
scissors. Sometimes my hand gets so tired cutting that it locks up. Maybe
springing will help. Wonder if there's a spring-action skillet scrubber
available? Polly

Old June 25th 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly I wouldn't trade for my spring-action razor edged Fiskers. They're wonderful. I have worn out two pairs of the little ones now, but my big ones are still going strong. (little ones have a little spring that goes after a while). Otherwise, I love my Kai scissors. Light weight, sharp as all get out and easy to use.

Sunny
Old June 25th 12, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

So glad you climbed in. I went to order spring-action Ginghers and realized
that "I" don't really open my scissors all the way when cutting and it could
be the spring-action would not be a happy thing just for my way of cutting.
And - I really can't say that Ginghers are light weight or sharp as they
once were, even with kind care and expert sharpening. Just maybe I need to
venture into the world of Kai.

Old June 25th 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 6/24/2012 8:35 PM, Sunny wrote:
Polly I wouldn't trade for my spring-action razor edged Fiskers. They're wonderful. I have worn out two pairs of the little ones now, but my big ones are still going strong. (little ones have a little spring that goes after a while). Otherwise, I love my Kai scissors. Light weight, sharp as all get out and easy to use.

Sunny

The spring broke on my big ones. Fiskars will replace the spring, but I
needed a replacement "right now" and have never bothered getting it. I
still have the shears, so I could still do it.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old June 27th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly, you'll never regret going with Kai. I love those scissors. Feel lost when I can't put my fingers on them. They're absolutely the best and hold a razor edge a long time.

Sunny
Old June 27th 12, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

I have some old Ginghers, all metal, made before they started making
scissors with soft handles. I can't use these any more - hurt my thumb
joint too bad. Guess I should shop for some good scissors with soft
handles. I have a few pairs of Fiskars, but use them for everything, so
they're not very sharp anymore. I've never used Kai, guess I'll look at
them since some of you rctq'ers seem to like them.

Donna in Idaho

On 6/23/2012 4:37 PM, wrote:
I have several pairs of Gingher sissors. One pair I have is primarily for
cutting out applique pieces...they have a serrated edge so the fabric
doesn't slip so easily while cutting. I also have shears, snips, and
"airplane safe". The airplane ones I won't take on a plane for fear they'll
be taken away so I keep them in my "carry to class" bag. They have blunt
ends so won't poke through anything but they are very sharp. I also have
Mundial (I like these very much) and Fiskars. My first Fiskars were very
thin blades and sharp - DH used them to cut carpet. Not recommended for a
happy wife. Second pair of Fiskars had a much thicker blade. I don't like
these so much so I'll use them for paper. I love sissors, any kind, any size
but the ones I always reach for if they are in sight are the Ginghers.
Good luck Polly