Expanding quilt display???

Old June 17th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Expanding quilt display???

I just had a crazy idea floating around in my lil' blonde pea brain and I need some input- tossing around some ideas.

Say you have an blank area on a wall. You have various sized quilts you'd like to display there at different times, but you don't want to mar the wall more than necessary. At the same time you want these various sized quilts to all be centered when hung there.

What popped into my head is to use something like an expanding/telescoping curtain rod that would work with magnets. You place it on the wall, centered, and use two screws about 12 in. apart centered on the rod to hold it to the wall. Then you somehow use magnets in the quilt- in the binding or a sleeve or inside a tube that could be tacked/pinned or velcro'd to the back of the quilt??? You can extend the rod to whatever width is needed for that particular quilt or collapse it for a smaller quilt... which would need magnets, too.

Now, how to get the proper type of rod and get it mounted on the wall just right and how to get the magnets into/unto the quilt and what rod height would be pretty much universal for the various quilts??? Give me some ideas!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 17th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Is a shower rod magnetic?
How about a corresponding shower rod with magnetic pieces attached [think strip magnets here], that would be placed into a sleeve on back of the quilt.. That way you can re-use the sleeve for more traditional hanging if you gift out the piece, or place it elsewhere. The rod with magnets attached can be expandalble just like its mate on the wall.

Ginger in CA
wondering it this will ever show up [see Mz Butterfly's related post]

Old June 17th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

If you bought an attractive curtain pole (one of those wooden ones with
pretty finials), you could place two brass 'cup hooks' and either end
and then hang any of your quilts - up to the maximum length of the pole
- on it. The pole would come off the hooks to change the quilts, and
could be put back up again. It wouldn't need any more fiddling than
that. The pole would be centred of course, from side to side: you might
have to do an average to get them to look more or less centred from
floor to ceiling?
..
In message ,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old June 17th 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D81959.html

These magnet based quilt hanging systems have recently appeared on the
market - perhaps this info will spark some more ideas for you...it is
possible to buy industrial strength magnets now at retail stores and metal
strips should be no problem either. barnyowl

Old June 17th 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

Hi everyone from one of "those" lurkers. Don't post often but read
all.

Leslie,
Here is the Ami Simms version. Haven't tried it but it has a video
that might give you more ideas.

Anna Belle in hot Palm Bay

Old June 17th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

Guess the heat got me, forgot to post the address = sorry.

http://www.amisimms.com/noseeumquhas.html

Anna Belle

Old June 17th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

You could also do like some museums do. They put a strip of moulding up
near the ceiling that is angled out and has a lip. From this wires, metal
hooks, and various other items can be used at whatever length and distance
apart to come down to attach to whatever hanging mechanism you have to
attach/grab/hold your quilt. This idea lends itself to no holes in the wall
and the wall could then also be used on occasion for pictures or other
objects.

Hope I've explained well enough what I've seen.

Steven
Alaska

Old June 17th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I think most shower rods would be aluminium?
..
In message ,
Ginger in CA writes

Old June 17th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

What goes around comes around gg: an old fashioned picture rail!!
..
In message ications,
Steven Cook writes

Old June 17th 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Thank you. I knew there was a name. I've seen them used more and more in
Hotels and Convention centers as well. It's from this that you hang any
banners or anything like that, or pin items too. And nowhere else. In my
mind they've come up with a compromise. Attendees want to hang things and
they venue says okay, here and nowhere else.

We've actually kind of done this in the hallways at school too for the work
from art class.

Steven
Alaska

"Pat S" wrote in message
What goes around comes around gg: an old fashioned picture rail!!
.
In message ications,
Steven Cook writes