Quilting fleece backed quilt?

Old June 17th 12, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Default Quilting fleece backed quilt?

DDinL has requested a fleece backed quilt to be used like a shawl.
'Quick as a flash' (!) I have constructed a Warm Wishes(ish) quilt to
the dimensions specified, have purchased fleece and am just sandwiching
it (no batting so it will be more flexible). I am going to baste rather
than pin I think it might stabilize it more - if it needs stabilizing.

Has anyone got advice of quilting it - closely - sparcely -straight
lines only ??? etc. I have never quilted with fleece so have no idea how
it will behave. I have an extra bit I can play with, but that's not the
same as other people's experience.

Hope it behaves itself as I have a Peter Rabbit panel on order (slow
delivery!) to quilt in the same way.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside
Old June 17th 12, 11:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 17/06/12 11:24, Sally Swindells wrote:
DDinL has requested a fleece backed quilt to be used like a shawl.
'Quick as a flash' (!) I have constructed a Warm Wishes(ish) quilt to
the dimensions specified, have purchased fleece and am just sandwiching
it (no batting so it will be more flexible). I am going to baste rather
than pin I think it might stabilize it more - if it needs stabilizing.

Has anyone got advice of quilting it - closely - sparcely -straight
lines only ??? etc. I have never quilted with fleece so have no idea how
it will behave. I have an extra bit I can play with, but that's not the
same as other people's experience.

Hope it behaves itself as I have a Peter Rabbit panel on order (slow
delivery!) to quilt in the same way.

Hi Sally,

I back a lot of my quilts with fleece and have had no problems at all.
I do pin baste thoroughly, but have done straight line quilting, meander
close quilting all with success. It is pretty forgiving on the fleece
side as the stitches don't really show but give a sculptured look, but
you may need to adjust the tension to get the top side looking just
right. Also play with the presser foot pressure so the sandwich moves
easily under the presser foot.

There are some pics he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizzyas...7602094781864/
and here
http://www.instructables.com/id/Charm-Pack-Baby-Quilt/

HTH & have fun

Lizzy
Old June 17th 12, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

i've a maybe odd question....do you quilt with fleece side up?
might be obvious but i've never worked with fleece at all for anything.
j.

"Lizzy Taylor" ...

Old June 17th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 17/06/12 23:32, J* wrote:
i've a maybe odd question....do you quilt with fleece side up?
might be obvious but i've never worked with fleece at all for anything.

Hi J*,

I prefer to quilt with the fleece side down so that I can plan my
quilting to fit in with the quilt blocks and so that I can see where I
have been - the stitches tend to hide in the fleece. For an all over
pattern you could work either way up I should think.

Lizzy
Old June 18th 12, 10:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Many thanks for advice. All finished except that this morning I have to
sew the ends in and then post it, together with some new baby gifts from
friends I made grandchild quilts for. New baby clothes are so different
now - tiny jeans and sweatshirt and a 'hoodie'. I can remember my MiL
being horrified when I dressed toddlers in bright or dark clothes. Times
change!

I was terrified of quilting the fleece but it was surprisingly easy. It
had to be done quickly as it is needed, so I did another first for me -
machining the binding down with feather stitch and it looks fine. I am
normally too conventional, follow the book etc. it was really difficult
to come out of my comfort zone. I did in the ditch quilting on the 6"
blocks, and put a little tacking star in the middle of the unpieced
blocks. I'll put a picture up when the ends are sewn in.

Old June 18th 12, 11:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 18/06/2012 10:29, Sally Swindells wrote:
Many thanks for advice. All finished except that this morning I have to
sew the ends in and then post it, together with some new baby gifts from
friends I made grandchild quilts for. New baby clothes are so different
now - tiny jeans and sweatshirt and a 'hoodie'. I can remember my MiL
being horrified when I dressed toddlers in bright or dark clothes. Times
change!

I remember my Grandmother calling babygrows "growbags"!!

I was terrified of quilting the fleece but it was surprisingly easy. It
had to be done quickly as it is needed, so I did another first for me -
machining the binding down with feather stitch and it looks fine. I am
normally too conventional, follow the book etc. it was really difficult
to come out of my comfort zone. I did in the ditch quilting on the 6"
blocks, and put a little tacking star in the middle of the unpieced
blocks. I'll put a picture up when the ends are sewn in.

Sounds great! I do like fleece as a wadding-cum-batting for kids quilts
because it washes and dries so happily. My guys much prefer their
fleece backed quilts.

Lizzy
Old June 18th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Glad the quilting went smoothly! And now that you've done you might
want to clean the fuzzies out of your machine - I remember getting a LOT
more lint when I was quilting with fleece.
Allison

Old June 18th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Picture now taken and parcel ready for posting in the morning.

I wanted to do the two fleecies quickly as they were needed, but I have
just been told that the fabric from the second shop has only been posted
today - does it really take 6 days to put a panel in an envelope? Sent
the order at the same time I ordered the teddies from my usual fabric
place and got that the next morning, and there was more fabric for them
to cut. No prizes for guessing who I wont use again.

Old June 19th 12, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

The only thing I've backed with fleece was a mat for DGS to use for
playing with his cars. I pinned fairly close and then did free-motion
quilting along the roads printed on the fabric. It was really a quick
project. I don't think you need a lot of quilting because you don't
have batting that might shift or lump if it's not quilted closely
enough. All that is necessary is enough stitching to hold the top and
the fleece together nicely. Of course, you can do more if you like.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

quilting fleece EstelleUK Quilting 7 September 17th 09 09:29 PM
Crepe backed satin Kate Dicey Sewing 17 December 27th 06 04:21 AM
Fleece quilt - what thread to use? AliceW Quilting 15 December 9th 05 07:37 PM
first fleece quilt, no batting Irrational Number Quilting 7 August 27th 04 07:09 PM
Fabric Backed Glass Plates? Susan Maher Glass 1 August 4th 03 08:32 PM