quilting advice needed

Old August 15th 12, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Default quilting advice needed

Does anyone have experience putting together a quilt where the blocks
are already heavily embellished? This is a group art project where the
participants made their own blocks and I'm helping at the last steps.
It's just simple squares with narrow sashing so assembling the top
should be ok but I won't be able to roll it it up to quilt along the
sashing to hold it all together. I'm thinking I should quilt it in small
sections? Any tips or suggestions??

I posted this over on FB but will repeat myself here for a different
audience.

TIA
Allison
Old August 16th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

My first thought was that you could try putting it together "quilt as you go
style" by Kaye Woods.
Batting and backing are both cut to size for log cabin-type piecing: There
used to be a video which showed this technique for making quick and easy
charity quilts on the serger.
Years ago, I did make a rather large sofa quilt for a friend which was made
using lots of discontinued decorator fabrics - crazy quilt style backed onto
a muslin base - with a batting and upholstery fabric for backing - that
thing was heavy and awkward to handle but it did eventually get put together
by birthing it and then tying it with the button-sewing stitch on the
machine (multiple zig-zags in place) in the centres and corners of the
blocks.
Hope these two suggestions help.....barnyowl
.com...

Old August 16th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Birthing it might be a good way to go. That way I could do the top in
one piece and then hand tack along the sashing. Hmmmmm....I've never
birthed a quilt before - I guess the batting and top would be basted
together? What happens to binding - no need for it??
Many thanks,
Allison

On 16/08/2012 9:55 AM, barnyowl wrote:
My first thought was that you could try putting it together "quilt as
you go style" by Kaye Woods.
Batting and backing are both cut to size for log cabin-type piecing:
There used to be a video which showed this technique for making quick
and easy charity quilts on the serger.
Years ago, I did make a rather large sofa quilt for a friend which was
made using lots of discontinued decorator fabrics - crazy quilt style
backed onto a muslin base - with a batting and upholstery fabric for
backing - that thing was heavy and awkward to handle but it did
eventually get put together by birthing it and then tying it with the
button-sewing stitch on the machine (multiple zig-zags in place) in the
centres and corners of the blocks.
Hope these two suggestions help.....barnyowl
.com...

Old August 16th 12, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

No need for binding with the birthing method but I usually stitch around the
outside edge to keep it sharp - depth of topstitching is personal
preference. barnyowl

"Allison" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

.com...