Choosing Ginghers?

Old June 27th 12, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Choosing Ginghers?

Donna, bump up to tonight's scissors part 2. I'm still hoping to see
everybody's thoughts on such an important subject/tool. Sunny recommended
Kai and I find that AllBrands has so many my mind was blown. (An easy
accomplishment.) Polly

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
I have some old Ginghers, all metal, made before they started making
scissors with soft handles. I can't use these any more - hurt my thumb
joint too bad. Guess I should shop for some good scissors with soft
handles. I have a few pairs of Fiskars, but use them for everything, so
they're not very sharp anymore. I've never used Kai, guess I'll look at
them since some of you rctq'ers seem to like them.

Old June 27th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 24/06/2012 6:21 AM, J* wrote:
that is a very clever idea indeed, Sandy.
yup, hard to take them if they have your name on it. )
j.

"Sandy Foster" wrote...
I have fobs on most of my scissors, too. However, I found some little
"beads" with letters on them (JoAnn's with coupon!), and I used those to
spell out my name or initials for my scissors -- I think those would be
much harder for someone to take home accidentally.

The fobs don't get in the way when you're cutting? That's what I
would've thought - so I have blue tape on everything that could be
"borrowed" at a workshop or retreat.
Allison

Old June 27th 12, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default spring scissors Choosing Ginghers?

Howdy!
We used the Fiskars spring-action scissors at the quilt shop,
long ago when I worked there; great hand-savers! Lasted for years
when we took care of them (someone would cut into the wire ribbon -
not good; kids would pick them up and drop them: kill the spring,
get new scissors).
Whatever helps, keeps you cutting and sewing/quilting!

Ragmop/Sandy

On 6/23/12 9:35 PM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

I'm not about to confess how many pairs of Gingher there are here. I know
there are more expensive makers but these serve me well. One of my favorite
parts of being a Gingher maniac is that you truly can ship them to their
nice sharpening guys and they will make them seriously new all over again.
There are guest stitchers here and to identify 'mine' ( mine, mine,
alllllll mine) I've put polka dots of lime green plain old Tulip craft paint
on the outside of the upper blade. Cheap and easy.
Meanwhile back to 'choosing', I believe I'll try the spring-action
scissors. Sometimes my hand gets so tired cutting that it locks up. Maybe
springing will help. Wonder if there's a spring-action skillet scrubber
available? Polly