OTT LIGHT PROBLEM

Old January 20th 04, 03:21 PM
Lenora C

Default OTT LIGHT PROBLEM

Ok all you Ott light owners out there. Have you ever had a problem with
your ott light turning off all by itself but then when you flip the
switch it turns right back on? NO I do not have any ghosts. I was
wondering if this was a problem with getting too hot or the bulb going out.

Lenora
IN ILLINOIS

Old January 21st 04, 02:07 AM
fran

Your ballast may be going. I had a similar problem on an older model
(about 6 years old). The newer ones have a replaceable ballast
(indicating a common problem) available from OTT, but you would have
to get a new lamp if yours is over 4 years old.

I tried to take my lamp to an electrician for repair, but they won't
fix a lamp that has a unique ballast - they have to special order the
ballast (if it's even available), and then do the replacement, and
that costs $$$$$$.

So I wound up replacing it. Grrrrr.

Old January 22nd 04, 03:52 AM
Deb Milner

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:07:28 GMT, fran
wrote:

that costs $$$$$$.

So I wound up replacing it. Grrrrr.

I know this won't work if the light has to be replaced when the
specials aren't running, but if you are thinking of an OTT replacement
(or new purchase), when JoAnne's runs their 50% off coupons, OTTs are
included. That's when I bought mine, and got it for 1/2 off.

--
Deb

WIP: How Great Thou Art (Leisure Arts Greatest Hymns II)
Old January 22nd 04, 04:10 AM
Ruthie

Is "ballast" the plug? I had that problem, too. You have to make sure
the plug-thing is never covered by anything; it gets quite hot. Mine
fried itself under a cushion my dog dragged over it. But Hobby Lobby
replaced the whole lamp!

So now my routine is first, turn it on, second, check to see if the plug
is uncovered. Repeat step two every time a dog moves.

Ruthie in CO
alowan ert earthlink doot net

wrote:

Ok all you Ott light owners out there. Have you ever had a problem with
your ott light turning off all by itself but then when you flip the
switch it turns right back on? NO I do not have any ghosts. I was
wondering if this was a problem with getting too hot or the bulb going out.

Lenora
IN ILLINOIS

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old January 22nd 04, 04:16 AM
fran

Yes, the ballast is the big black plug. Evidently, OTT uses a unique
one that has a nasty habit of failing after a few years of continual
use, so thier later product designs take that into account by making
them replacable.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:10:37 GMT, Ruthie wrote:

Is "ballast" the plug?

Old January 22nd 04, 10:38 AM
Jeri

"Lenora C" wrote in message
Ok all you Ott light owners out there. Have you ever had a problem
with your ott light turning off all by itself but then when you flip
the
switch it turns right back on? NO I do not have any ghosts. I was
wondering if this was a problem with getting too hot or the bulb
going out.

A couple of years ago there was one model of Ott light that was recalled. I
can't remember any of the specifics but you might want to contact the
company to find out.
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old January 23rd 04, 09:42 PM
Nancy

wrote:

Ok all you Ott light owners out there. Have you ever had a problem with
your ott light turning off all by itself but then when you flip the
switch it turns right back on? NO I do not have any ghosts. I was
wondering if this was a problem with getting too hot or the bulb going

out.

Lenora
IN ILLINOIS

I had this problem and called OTT directly (found the info on the web).
They said it couldn't be fixed (ballast as this poster says) but did sell me
a new one at about 1/2 the retail price. I thought it was a good deal.

Nancy, in northern Ontario

Old January 27th 04, 03:49 PM
Lenora C

hmmm reading all this now I wonder. I did get a hold of customer service
at ott light and they said they thought it was the bulb and are going to
mail me one free of charge. Well I guess if that does not take care of
the problem I will have to tell them.
Lenora C

Old January 28th 04, 01:34 AM
susan ovard

My sister bought a trucolor table ott lamp at Tuesday Morning last
weekend. It was about $45. If there is a Tuesday Morning store in
your area, you might want to check it out.

Old January 28th 04, 05:36 PM
fran

You have to be careful about this - there are two levels of quality
for Ott lamps. The lower level ones run $45 - $65, and the better
ones are at about $145 - $165. The difference is in the bulb. The
better ones are full-spectrum.