pattern storage

Old January 13th 05, 11:47 PM
Trish Brown

melinda wrote:

Trish Brown wrote:

Barbara Raper wrote:

Think your son would lie to visit me and see the USA for a couple of
weeks??? My sewing room could definately use up some of his energy
cleaning. LOL
Barbara in FL & SC

Nono! He's mine! *Mine*, I tell you! Obsessive cleanliness can be such a
boon to a household! ;-

My DS seems obsessed with making a mess all the time, but then he's only 18
months old.

ROTFL! Start training him now! By eighteen, he'll be just right! ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old January 14th 05, 06:52 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Pattern storage? Hmmm - oh, you mean "bag it, bin it or burn it?"
I don't bother putting all my activewear patterns away in their envelopes
anymo one bag holds all. Then I mix and match pieces to make the
outfits - and if there isn't a piece for the style I want, then I make it
and it, too, goes into the bag. Might seem a bit insane, but the "system"
works for me! I loved the one sorting classification listed, but mine is a
bit more basic for all other pattern types: costumes, children, ladies,
crafts, and finally a drawer for men, sleepwear and outerwear. I have a
separate cabinet for polar fleece and little-used activewear patterns.
Cynthia
Joy: Can your Mom come and sort my room?
"joy beeson" wrote in message
On 10 Jan 2005 16:56:59 GMT, ospam
(DKiely33) wrote:

What is the best way to store patterns that have already been used, cut

and
will be used again?

I use 9 x 12 envelopes (the kind for mailing letter paper
flat). I punch a hole in a corner of each envelope so I
can hang the envelope on a nail while I'm using the pattern.
When not in use, I keep them in an antique trunk.

Each time I use the pattern, I write the date and the name
of the fabric on the envelope -- and on each pattern piece
that was used for that garment. When I'm feeling really
organized, I'll glue a snippet of the fabric to the
envelope.

This system doesn't work very well for stuff made of the
blue-plaid linen shirting I bought to test patterns with,
and that's when version control is most important!

The last time I used the same fabric a second time, I
embroidered a mark on the garment and put a matching mark on
each pattern piece. I *meant* to put the mark at center
back of the neck, like a label, but when the finishing was
nearly done, I found a fabric flaw near the hem of one
sleeve, so I put the mark there, using thread that matched
one of the colors in the print.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old January 14th 05, 12:09 PM
Joy Hardie

No....you really have to keep an eye on her...becaue she really wants
to throw stuff out. Her main goal is to "de-clutter" at any cost.
So, I have to keep one eye on her and one eye on what I am doing.
Joy

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:52:48 -0800, "Cynthia Spilsted"
wrote:

Pattern storage? Hmmm - oh, you mean "bag it, bin it or burn it?"
I don't bother putting all my activewear patterns away in their envelopes
anymo one bag holds all. Then I mix and match pieces to make the
outfits - and if there isn't a piece for the style I want, then I make it
and it, too, goes into the bag. Might seem a bit insane, but the "system"
works for me! I loved the one sorting classification listed, but mine is a
bit more basic for all other pattern types: costumes, children, ladies,
crafts, and finally a drawer for men, sleepwear and outerwear. I have a
separate cabinet for polar fleece and little-used activewear patterns.
Cynthia
Joy: Can your Mom come and sort my room?
.. .

Old January 15th 05, 11:28 AM
Joy Hardie

Oh YES. I buy favorite patterns...or ones that look great in ALL
available sizes too!

But, here is another sad one to admit...in my plastic storage bins of
pattern organization this week...it came down to this...so as not to
waste space...one bin is labelled "MEN & DOGS". I love them both and
turns out I had about equal amounts of patterns for each but not
enough to warrant separate containers. Very Sad...but had to do it.

Ah, and if we are all confessing, in my cleaning of my horrid mess in
the basement, I came across a rumpled bag with cut material and a torn
pattern that "was" going to be the dress I was planning to wear on my
first date with my now husband of nearly 20 years (March). Maybe I
should finnish it....except it is hopelessly out of style and
dreadfully romantically youthful...a gauzy, flowy white
material...silly really.
Purge, purge, purge and organize. We are doing great ladies...and for
all you that are having time for the tea and getting a laugh, have one
for us disorganized souls!
Joy
Old January 15th 05, 01:54 PM
Kate Dicey

Joy Hardie wrote:

[...]

Make that dress up, Joy, and sell it on eBay! Then you can have miles
of new fabric and patterns for it...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 15th 05, 04:49 PM
CySew

Make it up and wear it for him on your 20th anniversary to show you still
think about that first date. One of my DDs saved the outfit she wore on her
first date with DH and wore it on their 25th candlelit dinner(alone) before
the party.
Emily

Old January 15th 05, 06:28 PM
Kate Dicey

CySew wrote:

Make it up and wear it for him on your 20th anniversary to show you still
think about that first date. One of my DDs saved the outfit she wore on her
first date with DH and wore it on their 25th candlelit dinner(alone) before
the party.
Emily

I'm aiming to be back in my wedding dress for my silver wedding in 3
years time... Hm... If I hit my goal, it'll be to BIG by then!

Old January 15th 05, 06:29 PM
Karen Maslowski

That's impressive. I wish I could fit into the things I wore 25 years ago!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 17th 05, 10:17 PM
Nancy Scott

"Dixie Sugar" wrote in message
I find that if I iron my pattern pieces I can get them back in the package
easier. I store them in pattern boxes and just boxes. I can't find the
pasteboard pattern boxes anymore so have to make do.

Brenda

"DKiely33" wrote in message

What is the best way to store patterns that have already been used, cut
and
will be used again?

I'm going to be setting up a little sewing area and would like to know
how to
set it up correctly from the start.

Would an art store be useful for storage options?

Thanks,
Dee

Something I found recently, bought to use for something else (isn't that
always the way?). Sheet protectors of the type that fit into three ring
binders. Patterns and envelopes now got into the larger plastic sheet
protectors and into a binder to set on the shelf. It works very well in my
setup.

Old January 18th 05, 11:27 AM
Joy Hardie

I'm aiming to be back in my wedding dress for my silver wedding in 3
years time... Hm... If I hit my goal, it'll be to BIG by then!

Now that's interesting....because I have always been afraid that my
wedding dress isn't actually in the box. You know when you take it to
the cleaners to have it specially cleaned and they seal it up in that
protective wrap etc? They say not to opent he box to let air
......well how do I know my dress is actually in there? My Mother told
me not to open it or it would "yellow" or something. That's what the
drycleaning guy told her and she had paid a bundle so I just did as I
was told.
I told you all the story of having my mother in tears at my wedding
because she had paid me money to hire a seamstress...who got sick and
so I decided to learn to sew. Started with the underskirt where
nobody would see and figured by the time I got to anything important I
would know what I was doing. Well, at the reception somebody had
commented to my mother about my dress and she had said I hired a
seamstress and my husband blurted out..."no, Joy made it". Oh, my
mother couldn't believe it and after asking me she was shaken with
emotion. She let me keep the money she was planning to pay the
seamstress!
But, Do you peek in those hermetically sealed drycleaning boxes to
see if your wedding dress is really in there or not and spoil the
"seal?"
Joy