Lampwork question

Old August 21st 03, 06:14 PM
Dr. Sooz

Can you say LINKS LIST??? (Eye Candy!) MAN!!!

Here are some examples of what can be done with soft (soda lime) glass:

http://www.stumpchuck.com/gallery.htm

~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old August 21st 03, 06:17 PM
Dr. Sooz

As for me, I prefer boro glass to gemstones, to other glass, to just about
anything. Boro in the hands of someone like Kate Childers, who produces the
most beautiful colors in her work, Kathy and others, is nothing short of a
miracle to me.

Childers, Kate: Full Moon; Aesthete Beads
http://www.fullmoon.cc/
~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 22nd 03, 12:59 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oooooohhh, I learn something new every hour it seems!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Raku is a pottery/glazing technique where you don't really know what
color effects you're going to get until the firing is done. Very cool
colors, usually, but not a technique for control freaks, cuz a lot of
what you get is random and unpredictable.

Deirdre

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:08:25 GMT, "Kandice Seeber"
wrote:

Um, not sure about that one - as I don't know what raku is.

Old August 24th 03, 03:08 AM
CLP

Thanks for the help. I'm going to schedule the class once the kiddies are
back in school and I'll give you an update!

--
"Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really
bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like, a
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
In article eTR0b.3962$j26.1336@lakeread02, "CLP"
wrote:

If any lampworkers or lampwork afficionados could give me your opinions
regarding hard and soft glass, I'd appreciate it. I have read and read,
looked at sites, ingested these posts and I now know that there is a

huge
difference between boro glass and soft glass. I know the difference has

do with the amount of heat used, but what I don't know and can't seem to
find out is why somebody would hesitate doing the boro beads? Is it more
difficult? More expensive? Harder to work with? From what I can see, the
boro beads have a clear glass covering (pyrex) and the soft glass ones
don't? Is that accurate or am I *way* down a wrong road with my

thinking?

As with any art, once you have expertise, you can glance at something

and
say - this, this and this is good, this is bad. A typesetter "ows" at

poor
kerning, a knitter at dropped stitches. So I don't know what you/y'all

are
seeing when you show links to various beads that you've stumbled across

and
everyone oohs and ahs. Sometimes I think - "they're ok I guess, but no

big
deal; I like these others much better." But since the wows are so
exhuberant, I figure it must be an insider "knowledge of the art" thang.

I want to take this lampwork class (soft glass) but don't have a huge

amount
of cash to experiment with lots of courses right now. I'm not sure if I
should go ahead and this class will give me a base to build on or

whether
working with boro is a horse of a different color entirely and I should

try
to find a teacher for that, instead.

Anyone?
Gracias!
Live and be well,
Christy

I bet you've got all the info you want/need at this point, but FWIW boro
is *usually* more expensive and the glass is stiffer... but not harder
to work, if you have the right torch. Soda-lime (soft) glass is very
soft and fluid, but is kind of touchy about thermal shock and the colors
are susceptible to boiling and reduction and other issues. Many of the
new Moretti colors are almost as expensive as boro colors, too. Most
boro beads are sold with a lot of clear over a little color, because the
colored boro is expensive and the clear boro is cheap. Pyrex is a brand
of borosilicate glass. Some people love boro, some people don't; it's
very very different to work with than soda-lime glass, and the colors
react in incredibly different ways. Boro is more rainbow-ey, while
soda-lime has a more dense color effect. If that makes sense. I LOVE
soda-lime glass, some people LOVE boro... it's all a matter of personal
preference! Some people love both.

Understanding soft glass is a good starting point for working with boro,
IMHO, so I'd say go for it. Most of the popular two-fuel soft glass
torches (Minor, Bobcat, etc.) are also good for boro beadmaking. Mind
you, my experience with boro is limited, so I'm no expert!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org

Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Question for Kandice BedazzlingJewels Beads 5 August 1st 03 07:05 AM
using lampwork in jewelry, cont'd [email protected] Beads 1 July 23rd 03 04:38 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
AD and question: Lampwork on ebay and justbeads Tink Beads 0 July 1st 03 04:29 AM