Nothing to lose, right?

Old August 8th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Terri

Default Nothing to lose, right?

Well, I went and did it. After being out of work for months, and being
prodded yet again to sell my work, I finally let myself get talked into
trying it for real. I have a friend who travels the crafts show circuit in
the west doing
who told me of a show with a very small entry fee of $20.00 and it
happens to be a local one so I thought about it and said: "Huh"?
Okay I actually said" Why not"?

This weekend I toddle off, borrowed booth in hand, to spend two
incredibly HOT smokey-air-filled-days-from-forest-fires under a plastic
awning for shade, cooler with water and food in hand, to sit in a 10'x10'
space watching people scrutinize my work, handle it and hopefully not get
beat up too badly.

The primary goal is to hand out business cards, generate interest
and listen to what it is that is liked and not liked.

DH has finished putting up a website just for me and we managed to
do it without actually spending any money, no mean feat!
Wonderful friends have designed my logo and are spreading the word,
family swears up and down to help get the word out as well.

Wish me luck, please and if anyone else has done this sort of
thing I'd love to hear about it. Especially if there's a chance
I need to arm myself prior to attending.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/index_CQA.html

Old August 8th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Good luck with the enterprise, Terri.
It might be exhausting and frustrating at times, but will be very
worthwhile in the end, I'm sure.
..
In message , Terri
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Good luck Terri. Your web is very easy for users. I hope the orders come
rushing in!!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Old August 8th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Terri wrote:

[...]

Best of luck with this, Terri! Your site is easy to use, so customers
won't get frustrated -- that's a good thing.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 8th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

How funny, I saw the picture of the Jewel Box custom quilt, that is
under construction, thought the layout looks familiar and realised I'm
sat on one in the same design! It's green back ground with mostly floral
scraps, I have a tiny bit more quilting to do on it, then I need to bind it!

Anne
Old August 9th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Terri, start doing some hand piecing. G Will be a conversation starter
and will bring people to your booth. I highly recommend Inklingo (NAYY,
but I love the product. VBG) or some small blocks, like Dear Jane,
Dear Hannah or Quilted Diamonds, (again, NAYY.) I love taking some sort
of hand work with me when I am sitting a table, and it does bring people
over to see what is going on.

Have fun,

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Terri wrote:
Patti wrote in
:

Good luck with the enterprise, Terri.
It might be exhausting and frustrating at times, but will be very
worthwhile in the end, I'm sure.

I do hope I get some entertaining stories out of it at the very least.
I have my grand-daughter's visit in the booth to look forward to on
Sunday and lots of books to read in case I end up just sitting there.

Old August 9th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Terri, I haven't seen you mention your business card. Can you make it easy
to find? I'm thinking maybe on paper that's a color rather than easy to be
mislaid such as white or ivory; can you list on it the wonderful portrait
pillows and other special creations? and, for goodness sake, your website.
I'm thinking the customers this first time will be those who remember you
when gift-shopping later and you want that card to speak for you. Warm best
wishes for a great beginning. Polly

"Terri" wrote in message
Anne Rogers wrote in
:

How funny, I saw the picture of the Jewel Box custom quilt, that is
under construction, thought the layout looks familiar and realised I'm
sat on one in the same design! It's green back ground with mostly floral
scraps, I have a tiny bit more quilting to do on it, then I need to bind
it!

It's the second time I've made the pattern, the first one in greens,
blues and purple for my daughter.
I wasn't sure if the paisley would work but as I ran out of one
of the fabrics it was time to improvise and see how it went.
I like the pattern very much but both times I "quilted as you go"
but I'll not attempt that again.

--
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/index_CQA.html

Old August 9th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

It's the second time I've made the pattern, the first one in greens,
blues and purple for my daughter.
I wasn't sure if the paisley would work but as I ran out of one
of the fabrics it was time to improvise and see how it went.
I like the pattern very much but both times I "quilted as you go"
but I'll not attempt that again.

The instructions I had for it had you making blocks that had a diagonal
line of 4 squares, with triangles in the other two corners, so you were
making blocks from 2 4 patches and 2 triangle squares, but as I got
started I decided just to layout the whole quilt and stitch the rows
then join the rows - I think for me this enabled me to be more accurate.
Those units were 4 inch finished, if I'd have done the pattern method it
would have been 8 inch blocks, but personally I think that's too small
to do quilt as you go, I reckon it's got to be at least 12 or even 15,
to make quilt as you go worth it for all the finishing that needs to be
done! I think you also have to watch how the quilting is designed, so
for this quilt, the focus of the quilting is in the on point square made
by the 4 triangles meeting, which wouldn't be in the block. I haven't
done that yet, I've done my background quilting, which is simply wavy
lines and I've done a freehand leaf border which I'm really pleased with
.. I'm still umming and arrghing over exactly which motif for the squares.

Cheers
Anne