OT cooking stoves and hand vacs

Old August 3rd 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default OT cooking stoves and hand vacs

Patti wrote:
Without actually recommending - because we are as individual with our
cooking things as sewing machines! - I'll tell you what I have and love:
I have a ceramic hob (had one in the last house too), and I would now
never have anything else. They are extremely easy to clean and, if well
fitted, any spills don't go down into the cupboard below! I also have a
fast-heating element for one 'ring'. I didn't think it was worth the
expense to have all four rings fast-heating, but we each have different
needs. A quick wipe over does for most days (I don't cook at lot
really), and the special cleaner gives it a Sunday-look polish.

As to the oven, there are a few things I would most strongly suggest -
even more than recommend, I would say were essential!
Even if it takes a little more 'fixing' than just take out the old one
and put in the new, I would say you *have* to have a high level oven, so
that you don't have to bend down to take things in and out. None of us
are getting any younger (at least, I'm not!), and backs and things
(mine) get dodgy. It is so much safer just to open the door and deal
with whatever is needed. I think in the US you tend not to have
separate grills? (broiler?). Mine is separate and just underneath the
main oven.
The other feature, now that it is available (though I couldn't get one
at the time) is 'self-cleaning'. How I would love that!
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes
When I first was introduced to this group, we had just moved to the Swamp
and were rebuilding a kitchen. When asked for your ideas on kitchen
creation, the input was just wonderful. Now, well . . . maybe not now
but
soon, the stove I love is going to need to be replaced. Please share your
thoughts.
Do you have a convection oven? Is it the greatest thing since sliced
bread or something you never use? Do you have a ceramic top? Is it a
pain
in the neck to clean or a great joy? Do you have one of those tops that
demands an absolutely flat bottomed pot/pan/skillet? Is it worth
changing
all the cookware?
At our homes before the Swamp, we had new stoves. One needed a
full-time parlor maid with a feather duster to keep its surface looking
nice. The other, a top of the line snazzy model was so flimsy that I was
afraid to do much in the way of stirring or flipping for fear it would
fall
into the floor. Please tell me what to look for or 'look out for'.
and, also. It crosses my little mind that a vacuum cleaner that
didn't
require cords and could wiggle into tight places like the bobbin case
area
of my SMs and serger would be so wonderful. Has anybody discovered a
little
jewel for picking up snips and fuzzies without weighing 9000 pounds and
needing its own garage? We have a museum quality Electrolux but it truly
does take more time to heave in here and set up than it does to run it.
All members of rctq who do not cook or clean are excused from
replying.
We know who you are. Polly

Yours sounds very much like mine, Pat, except mine is the freestanding
version (no room in my little kitchen for eyelevel oven). One halogen
ring, but I actually prefer the others which will simmer easier, and are
pretty quick controls. In the old built in (but below worktop variety)
oven I had the grill (broiler) in the main oven and hated it. No way to
do grilled meat and roast potatoes or a crumble. When the inherited
built in oven died we got a newer version of the free-stander we had in
the last house. The oven has the coated sides (just need heating on the
highest temp and then a wipe over) and I have a Lakeland thick oven
liner that you can take out and wash easily in the sink, on the bottom -
highly recommended despite being about £10! The roof? That has defeated
me so I stay defeated! I used to have an oven with a removable roof
liner - that was good!

My microwave I like to have on the worktop so I'm not reaching up high
to take hot things out and have somewhere to put them down quickly. I
think it is illegal here to have the high-up over the stove microwaves
(incorporating an extractor fan?) the US has, and you can get some very
pretty extractors here now. I just have a new stainless steel one with a
glass shelf which actually extracts (the fan not the shelf!) - unlike
the old one that just made a noise and pretended.

I'm sure I've seen a teeny weeny hoover thingy in one of those
catalogues that come with newspapers here, so they do exist. I bet a
computer shop would have them. I can just remember a picture of a
flexible little hose and a computer keyboard. Bet our keyboard could do
with a go since Hodge vacated the Pending tray in favour of the printer
tray for head and keyboard for the rest.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old August 3rd 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

I have an electric fan oven and a gas hob. Both are built in to the
counter top/front. As you know, I cook a lot but have a limited area
for such items, so opted for 4 rings and a single oven. I had a double
oven before and used it twice in 18 years, so decided I'd rather have
the programmable timer and the single oven. I like to cook 5 Christmas
cakes over night on cheap electrons, and stuff like that! I also
have a large and much used (BUT NOW ANCIENT!) microwave oven. I shall
probably replace that with a combi oven when it finally blows...

This combination serves me well for every-day cooking for 3-4 folk, and
is also well able to cope with influxes of guests for weekends, and the
occasional insanity of dinner for 40, if I plan a buffet type meal of
hot and cold stuff.

Had I but world enough and time - 3 acres of kitchen, and the dosh! -
I'd have a gas powered Aga and a suplimentary wok ring!

Little Sis has and loves her 5 ring programmable induction hob. She
regularly cooks for 4, and occasionally for more, and finds this suits
her well. She *does* have 3 acres of kitchen!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 3rd 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

I echo Leslie's sentiments regarding dual fuel. A gas cooktop and
electric oven(s) is the perfect combination, I think. We did a kitchen
remodel about a year and a half ago and I got a big fancy schmancy
stove. Some of you have seen the pictures. I love it to death!
However, you can get most of the same features in a standard size one.
Look for sealed gas burners. I didn't understand this until I saw it
"in person". All it means is that there is no hole in the stovetop for
yuck to drip through. The gas ring sits a bit high and there is a
sealed ring below it. Nice for the sloppy, like me :-)

Unlike Leslie, I have not made much use of the convection oven (oven has
a standard/convection option). It is "different" and I didn't have the
patience to make the appropriate temp/time adjustments when I did try.
I know it is easy. I am just impatient. You might love it.

I also am looking for a small vacuum cleaner recommendation. My sewing
machine and serger could benefit, I'm sure.

Rita L.
P.S. Are you getting one new stove or two? If one, won't the other
kitchen be jealous?

http://community.webshots.com/user/ggollymm
Old August 3rd 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

Hi Polly,
I have a convection oven. When I first got it I used it all the time. Now
I only use it when I am cooking for a very large gathering and my kitchen
oven doesn't hold enough.
When I was planning on a new stove (and worked in a department store) I
started getting flat bottom cookware. When the old stove finally died I
purchased a GE Spectra. It has 4 burners of various sizes and a warming
area. The surface is easily cleaned and the oven is huge. I'd recommend it
to any and all who would like an electric stove. I have used none flat
bottomed pans, it just takes a little long to heat them and the cooking was
not as even as that with the flat bottoms.
When I checked out the stoves with convection ovens, the ovens where sooo
small to accommodate the fans. I would only say that if you ever cook for a
large group of folks - you would have to have two ovens.
Can't help with the vaccum - I hate mine.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 3rd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

I thought you might like to see our Heartland Kitchen range. When we
first moved into this house about 8 years ago we bought this and have
loved it for it's appearance as well as it's function. The only
shortcoming is that for it's size, the oven is not as large as a large
family might require. It uses the same frame and parts as the companys
wood/coal burning models use, but all the internals and controls are
modern. Ours is all electric with convection oven and self cleaning.
They also come with gas and gas/electric combinations. It is perfect
for our house as it is "period correct" as to the look and does
provide a bit of a conversation piece factor when people come into the
kitchen for the first time. If we ever get another living situation
that would allow it, I would also buy one of their wood burning models
and, and place it in the same area of the kitchen alongside this one.
We used to have a country getaway house back in California that I put
a wood burning antique stove in the kitchen, along with a modern
stove, and I loved to get up on Sunday mornings and cook a pancake
breakfast on the weekends.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635abKiEU

Enjoy,

John

Old August 3rd 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I do have a Jenn-air elec cooktop...black shiny...and it seems to be harder
tokeep
clean than the Maytag one I had ---but it also is in an island where it does
show
every drip drop whatever . For a good clean up I use BonAmi --unlike
Comet..it
doesn't scratch and really does clean well. I don't hve a hood over
the cooktop because I hate
trying to keep one clean and I picked a model that has the vent in it. So
far I"ve
been careful ( only had it since Feb ) about frying a lot of things because
the
vent area could become a pain to clean too. In fact, if I had a fat arm I
wouldn't
even be able to clean it as it is a narrow area between the burners!!!.
There is a flat metal mesh piece that I pull out and
wash w/ hot water but it doesn't stay in place all that easily and I can see
it
being a bit of a pain in the future to get it to stay put. My appliances
are stainless
steel and always seem to be needing a wipe--I really miss my textured
enameled
fridge for that one thing alone. The top of the cooktop got a small
scratch from
a frypan the other day. The fry pan has a concentric design on the
bottom --kind of ridged...also noticed that
it doesn't all fit flat on the cooktop so I do have to buy a bettter
designed frypan.
I've been told to not use cast iron and I don't but others say they do.
Another thing is that these cooktops cook like an electric fry pan....the
temp doesn't
stay on high when you have it set at that temp....it fluctuates....so if
you want to have
the burner stay on high you have to move the pot/frypan a bit off the heat
to see
the red coil stay red and hot !!...Kind of annoying.
My appliances are stainless
steel and always seem to be needing a wipe--I really miss my textured
enameled
fridge for that one aspect alone. I haven't used the conv. oven much yet
but two roasts
did come out nicely and faster ....I just haven't figured out how to use it
yet...but will soon
as this hot weather subsides !...Good Luck...Mary in VT

Old August 3rd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I don't do any more cooking than I have to, but one thing I would look
at carefully is how easy it is to keep clean. A self-cleaning oven is a
must. The stove I have was here when we moved. It has a textured finish
around the knobs that is awful to keep clean; why they use that finish
on appliances is beyond me. It would be so much easier if it were all
smooth. I have always had electric stoves; that's what I grew up with
and what I prefer. I've never had a smooth top stove. I have a
microwave/exhaust fan combination over the stove; I like that a lot.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 3rd 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I don't think I've ever seen a stove quite that beautiful. Thank you for
sharing. Oh my. Polly

oups.com...

Old August 3rd 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Rita signed
P.S. Are you getting one new stove or two? If one, won't the other
kitchen be jealous?

That won't be a problem, Rita. DH uses the other kitchen and his repertoire
is pretty much limited to such specialties as corn flakes or peanut butter
sandwiches. Polly

Old August 3rd 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Polly Esther" wrote in message

Do you have a convection oven? Is it the greatest thing since sliced
bread or something you never use?

I love my convection oven. It really does cook food faster and more evenly.
About the only time I *don't* set it on convection is when I'm doing
something long, low, and slow like chile verde.

I can't answer your other questions because I refuse to cook on an electric
cook top. The real estate agent thought I was nuts when I told him not to
show me houses without natural gas -- DH took the guy aside and told him
that I really meant it, and not to mess with me on that one.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/