A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

Old July 1st 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Too_Many_Tools

Default A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

Old July 1st 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
spaco

Singer made a heavy duty machine that was designed for canvas and
leather, with a foot that rotates so you can aim the needle anyway you
want. We bought one for $75. It is foot powered, but many of them
were motorized. It is a very basic machine; no zigzag, etc..

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Old July 1st 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Jim Chandler

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

Harbor Freight has a couple of nice machines. I have the single needle
and it does a good job for my occassional use. Made the lifting slings
for my new Smithy 1220 on it.

Jim Chandler
Old July 1st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:51:35 -0700, the renowned Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

You in a city with much schmatta trade? If you go to an industrial
sewing machine place they'll fix you up with a used machine like a
Juki that will run forever. (those machines actually have an oil pan).
They often do this for young 'uns setting up as fashion designers.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old July 1st 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ken Sterling

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

Yup.... called a model 29....
Ken

Old July 1st 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Richard J Kinch

Spehro Pefhany writes:

If you go to an industrial
sewing machine place they'll fix you up with a used machine like a
Juki that will run forever. (those machines actually have an oil pan).

Isn't the HF item a Chinese clone of that?

Look at the machines for sailmaking sold at http://www.sailrite.com/ where
they do the sorts of applications you describe.
Old July 1st 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Lew Hodgett

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

You in a city with much schmatta trade? If you go to an industrial
sewing machine place they'll fix you up with a used machine like a
Juki that will run forever. (those machines actually have an oil pan).
They often do this for young 'uns setting up as fashion designers.

Yep, my landlord has a bunch of industrial machines used to make
motorcycle bags.

Doubt he has a machine that is less than 50 years old.

Also, if you are in an area that has some sailmakers, talk to them.

Lew
Old July 1st 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Gunner

wrote:

On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

You in a city with much schmatta trade? If you go to an industrial
sewing machine place they'll fix you up with a used machine like a
Juki that will run forever. (those machines actually have an oil pan).
They often do this for young 'uns setting up as fashion designers.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Or a good ConSew.

Reliable Tool gets em in from time to time also.

Gunner

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Old July 1st 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
ted frater

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On occasion I find myself needing to create items for the home
workshop that require a sewing machine.

I am looking for recommendations in what to look for in a sewing
machine that will handle a number of differnet materials (canvas,
cotton, thin leather)

Any suggestions?

Any suggested machines?

Thanks

TMT

Yup.... called a model 29....
Ken

We call them boot patchers. We have acouple of them here tho never used
one in earnest.
The one to go for is the Singer k45
Real heavy motor driven one. Will sew 5 thicknesses of seat belt webbing.
When hang gliding took off? back in the 1970's ( mostly downwards of
course!!) I made lots of seated harnesses for this sport. Tested them
myself first.
Also made up shortened lifting strops from broken ones.
The light industrial Singers are used by furniture upholsters
Also Have acouple of 1860's model 12? is it Singers.
Iknow, im a sucker for old machinery.
Collect anything thats old and restorable.
As an applied art smith, hammers are my real interest.
Especially those made before 1860 when Bessemer introduced the blown
steel process.
These pre 1860 hammers were always from wrought iron with crucible
steel ends fire welded on.
te oldest I think I have is a roman one but cant be sure of its age
The design is right so is the form.
Heres hoping.!!
Ted
Dorset UK.

Old July 1st 07, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Bob in Phx

My 1950's anker sewed through 7 layers of marine vinyl and then about a 1/8
inch pvc extrusion. (camper awning cover). Then the wife used it to work on
her quilt. Great machine, big, black and chrome!!! I also have a Singer Red
Head treadle, with a leather belt foot power drive. Check with any good old
sewing machine and vacuum repair place. They can tell you the best machines,
or try an industrial machine repair center. Then watch Craigslist or the
classifieds... I found my Anker in a thrift shop... 15 bucks.

bob in phx
Side story on the Anker.
I found the Anker in the "as is" section of the local Mormon run thrift
shop. I figured I had better plug it in and see if the motor was good. Well
I plugged it in and it started to run, but without me touching the foot
peddle. So I un-plugged it and gave a close look at the peddle. I noticed a
couple of the rivets on the bottom were worn off. I also hear the remains of
the rivets inside the peddle, where they should not be. So I decided to see
if there was an speed up if I pushed on the peddle. So I plugged it in again
and put my hand on the peddle. Bang, 110 volts were shooting up my arm. So
again, I am in the middle of a very religious run store.... What came out of
my mouth as I got my hand off the peddle????? You guessed it, profanity. And
at the top of my lungs!!! I must have had 20 people, employees too, looking
at me.. I sheepishly explained that I had just gotten a pretty good
electrical shock... They bought it and I bought the machine!!!!

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 07:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 10:18 PM
my new sewing machine dreamboat Quilting 0 December 8th 04 06:06 AM
sewing machine [email protected] Quilting 7 December 7th 04 11:19 PM
old sewing machine Sindir Quilting 20 May 5th 04 09:30 PM