HandKerchief Quilts: Part II

Old August 3rd 05, 02:26 PM
The Larsons

Default HandKerchief Quilts: Part II

I am so fascinated by the hanky post that I felt another post was
needed....I have about 100 'old' fancy hankys and am someday going to make a
quilt out of them. I have been searching for patterns that appeal to me and
have had a hard time coming up with more than 2. I found one that uses 1/4
of each hanky (cut on the diagonal) and uses 5 cuts per block...it is like a
brides bouquet... the hankies are 'stuck' down inside of the basket and peek
over the top of the 'holder' of the bouquet-it's beautiful... if anyone
would like to see a picture of it-I can email it to them (off group). I
also have 100's of silk ties that I'm hoarding for that special 'tie'
quilt.. that is going to be a labor of love (I think)...and if I don't get
busy doing something with them my son will have them all in his closet!
Hugs-Lisa,queen of freebies

Old August 3rd 05, 11:58 PM
Susan Laity Price

If you don't want to cut the hankies there is a pattern for folding
them into a butterfly. You tack the hankies to the background. It
isn't a quilt that takes a lot of use but is great for a wall hanging
or a bed that you know the quilt will be removed before use. If you
are interested in this type of quilt I will look through my books.
Maybe someone in the group knows the name of the book without digging.

Susan

Old August 4th 05, 12:44 AM
Anne in CA

There was a really cute quilt at PIQF last year -- tea cups sitting on
"table cloths" made of hankies.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...12742903CvTJCA
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...12742908FZhjws

I've lost my notes so can't credit the quilt maker. DD#1 wants me to
make her one like this some day.

)O( Anne in CA )O(
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Old August 4th 05, 01:58 AM
Patti S

Anne,
What a cute "girly" quilt. I just love it.... and what a great way to
use hankies! Thanks for sharing......

Patti in Seattle

Old August 4th 05, 03:47 PM
Anne in CA

Yep. DD#1 thought so too, as soon as we saw it hanging at the quilt
show. "Oh, Mom, you *have* to make me one like that!". My reply, "So, is
*your* sewing machine broken?" :-)

I've started secretly collecting hankies though -- don't anyone tell her ;-)

Old August 5th 05, 05:53 AM
Flo Cala

In ,
The Larsons wrote this:
I am so fascinated by the hanky post that I felt another post was
needed....I have about 100 'old' fancy hankys and am someday going
to make a quilt out of them. I have been searching for patterns
that appeal to me and have had a hard time coming up with more than
2.

snip

Lucky you!
I just saw an ad for a 99 pg. book: _Hooked on Hankies_ by Laurene
Sinema - $19.95. Have no info on it. Might be worth a book search.
-Dot

Old August 5th 05, 06:35 AM
Patti S

I just looked it up on amazon and it sounds like a really fun book. I
may have to go to my favorite bookstore and give it a look...... thanks
for sharing!!

Patti in Seattle
(Always on the lookout for "hanky" books)

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Fri, Aug 5, 2005, 12:53am
(PDT+3) From: (Flo=A0Cala)

Old August 5th 05, 03:10 PM
nana2b

My Mom gave me a huge vinyl pouch filled with my Oma's hankies. Most are
cotton and from Germany. I washed them all and put them away. When I get
settled I would love to use them to make a coverlet or quilt for the Guest
bed.

Old August 5th 05, 03:15 PM
KJ

And Laurene was a really good person. She was my first quilt teacher. Just
had to take a second to publicly pay my respects to a really nice woman.

"Patti S" wrote in message
I just looked it up on amazon and it sounds like a really fun book. I
may have to go to my favorite bookstore and give it a look...... thanks
for sharing!!

Patti in Seattle
(Always on the lookout for "hanky" books)

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Fri, Aug 5, 2005, 12:53am
(PDT+3) From: (Flo Cala)