Still knitting in New Orleans!

Old July 25th 03, 03:17 PM
MaryLyon

Default Still knitting in New Orleans!

Greetings:

Thanks to everyone again who helped me figure out seed stitich for the baby
blanket I was making about a month or so ago. I'm still working on the darn
thing, as I got all screwed up and had to find time to hit a knitting shop for
help - fortunately I found a great person to help me and I'm back on track. I
was getting so confused, knitting on a round needle, so I gave up and
transfered to traditional needles, and now I'm having a blast!

So, I just found out that my oldest friend is having a baby (actually, the
surrogate mother he and his partner impregnated via egg donor is having their
baby - better living through chemistry!), and I want to make him something
really cool. I've never made baby garments before, but I'm enamored of the idea
of knitting a layette for the little one - perhaps a sweater, cap and booties,
and blanket too.

I don't want to get too ambitious, but this would be a great project for me,
and I think he would be thrilled, so...how hard it is to make baby stuff like
that? I've made sweaters for full grown men before, and that wasn't too hard,
just time consuming, I'm sure baby stuff goes much quicker...

Any advice (including telling me that this is out of my league right now) would
be appreciated. I will at least make them a blanket, but I think I'll soon be
ready to try my hand at something a little more interesting!

Best, Amy
Old July 25th 03, 04:18 PM
Sonya Cirillo

Amy

Nah - can't be out of your league - long, long ago I got into knitting
because I was pregnant. . . picked out a nice layette (sacque, hat,
booties and matching afghan) and went to town. No one told me that it
wasn't a 'beginner' piece and after a little help with YO (wasn't sure I
was getting it right) I was off and running and never looked back

One suggestion is to start with the sacque/top/jumper, then do the hat
or booties and leave the afghan until last.

The reasoning - the top is going to be worked on straights or a
circular, it's small, but large enough that you can get into any pattern
in it. . . the hat is the next smallest - and the booties might be done
on double pointed needles (dpns) which might be a tad of a challenge but
you will be use to any pattern by then and they go really quickly.

Then you'll have a whole set to give, in case life throws a curve ball
and you don't get the afghan done before the baby arrives.

Other than that - we're all willing to help, plus you found a potential
helper there so you're all set - just have to decide on a pattern!

Sonya

Old July 25th 03, 04:29 PM
MaryLyon

Greetings:

Then you'll have a whole set to give, in case life throws a curve ball
and you don't get the afghan done before the baby arrives.

That is a great idea! Thanks for the advice! Baby is due in Nov, and I plan to
go visit them after the first of the year, not sure if I'll send the baby gift
or bring it with me...

Best, Amy
Old July 25th 03, 05:11 PM
Katherine Burgess

Amy,
Congratulations to your friends! Knitting a baby layette is definitely NOT
out of your league. There are many straightforward patterns available, so
you should be able to find one. I wouldn't look for anything lacy, and try
to find one in DK rather than baby weight yarn. Oh, and one more bit of
advice, I would use acrylic, as it is easier for a new mother to keep clean
than wool - no hand-washing required.
HTH
Katherine

Old July 26th 03, 06:59 AM
G.Kelly

Amy , baby wear is great - and the works get finished in less time than
adults and it is definately not out of your league. For ervery baby I hear
of I knit a circular shawl which is quite easy and very fast to knit and not
expensive using baby wool. You will just love doing those tiny bootees.
Best of luck God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old July 27th 03, 04:19 AM
Olwynmary

Amy: E-mail me direct if you like. As a grandmother of three, aged 9, 7 and
3, I have literally dozens of baby patterns of various degrees of difficulty.
I recommend you use baby yarn and small needles, as the chunky stuff is (a) too
hot for the little ones, and (b) they can stick those tiny fingers right
through large needle stitches. My DD insists that everything for the babies be
acrylic, so she can toss it all in the washer and dryer, and straight back on
the baby.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.