not project help - but storage of stitched item

Old February 16th 13, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default not project help - but storage of stitched item

Okay - have decided it was just plain old time to do something about the
"stuff" in the basement (have already donated 3 bags and 5 boxes of
stuff to the local thrift shop, + 100 books to library sales room)...but
have a issue with this find.

Some of my MILs linens got stored in card board and I didn't know they
were still in the cardboard boxes for going on 13 years now.

SO - how do I clean them and store them for the future? some have brown
spots...no mildew that I could find.

And any sources for affordable acid free storage boxes?

Old February 16th 13, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ramona Walker

You might check a scrapbook supply place - many of the photo boxes are
acid free that I use. Scrapbook boxes seem cheaper than other
antique archival places and Hobby Lobby or the other crafty chains
probably have some on sale from time to time.

Old February 17th 13, 12:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

I wonder how big those photo boxes come - this pile is about 12" x 18" x
24". I'm going to start with the items that are most clearly stained
and otherwise clear out the drawer with my table clothes and invest in
lots of acid free tissue paper.

Old February 18th 13, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/17/13 11:19 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:08:45 +0000, Shirley
wrote:

On 17/02/2013 12:46,
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 07:19:07 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I wonder how big those photo boxes come - this pile is about 12" x 18" x
24". I'm going to start with the items that are most clearly stained
and otherwise clear out the drawer with my table clothes and invest in
lots of acid free tissue paper.

On 2/16/13 12:30 PM, Ramona Walker wrote:
You might check a scrapbook supply place - many of the photo boxes are
acid free that I use. Scrapbook boxes seem cheaper than other
antique archival places and Hobby Lobby or the other crafty chains
probably have some on sale from time to time.

I believe they come in a variety of sizes and if you are not going to
lay the fabric flat, then a variety would be good and periodically,
open, refold differently and commit to the box again so the fold lines
do not 'set' in.

Do not use any starch, roll up in tissue when they are rough dried and
not ironed. You do not get any fold lines when they are rolled.
Hugs
Shirley

Even better idea !

I had thought about hanging the large items in a garment bag but rolling
is even better

thanks