OT Sweet Tea

Old August 9th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT gator groundcover

I could use them to keep the neighbors out of my berries and my
tomatos.
On the other hand a couple of months ago I came home and found a
handful of my flowers in an old coffee pot, next to a strawberry
smeared flat rock out in the back yard. Are the gators good at
reminding the wee ones that they should ask before holding a tea party
on the premises?

NightMist

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:59:50 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Gators are, of course, an excellent ground cover in shady, muddy areas. In
addition to being an excellent security system, they require no care
whatsover but do appreciate an occasional chicken or doctor. Polly

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 8, 4:30 pm, Patti wrote:
That's so funny, Sandy! I have just given up trying to grow *any* kind
of plant on two particularly waterlogged spots in our garden and we got
the paving slabs delivered last week! Ours will be two stone circles,
6' diameter.. We will eventually get two 'objects' to put in the
centres.

Sometimes the green route is just so difficult.
.

Oh, yeah. Flagstones are your friend. It's the best thing we ever
planted in a shady side of
the house that was a perennial mudhole every time it rained.

Sherry

--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old August 9th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

It is a sad truth; gators can not be trusted. I asked about neighbors and
little tea parties. The gators only smiled. Polly

Old August 9th 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

Default OT Unique Sauerkraut Recipe OT Sweet Tea

What I do is rinse the canned stuff and mix it in with a head of shredded
cabbage. Then pop in some chopped bacon and some pork belly rashers (rind
off) and cook slowly until the pork is cooked. Oh Lordy I haven't had that
in ages. Hmmm.....

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z37/shazrules/
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
So how do you usually cook sauerkraut? (This recipe looks pretty normal to
me, but of course I live in a sauerkraut hotbed.)
I do mine this way, if there's leftover wine. Or I fry some chopped onion
in goose fat and add that, with veggie or chicken broth for the liquid,
plus the apples. Or toss in some juniper berries. Or some coriander seeds.
Or simmer with wine and a piece of cured pork loin. The main thing is not
to undercook. Sauerkraut needs long slow cooking, even the canned variety.
Roberta in D

"Pat in Virginia" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
A German friend gave me this unusual method for sauerkraut. It is yummy!

RITA'S SAUERKRAUT

Rinse well canned or bagged sauerkraut.
Drain well.
Replace liquid with champagne (!) or white wine.
Add diced apples. (Pared or not.)
Heat and stir gently.

Enjoy! PAT in VA/USA

MB wrote:

A German friend of mine told me once ---years ago---that the best
sauerkraut
was
the cheapest canned one...and then drained and rinsed well .

Old August 9th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Well, NOW I use Rita's recipe. But most people over
here just rinse and heat, adding just enough water to
keep it moist, and maybe some caraway seeds. The wine
and apples were new to me. Of course I am 'cooking
challenged,' so just about ANYTHING beyond Lemon Pepper
is exotic to me! LOL
PAT

Old August 9th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default OT groundcover for shade was OT Sweet Tea

Not sure if this would grow up there, but in my
Virginia Tidewater yard (Zone 7) I have lots of Lamia
(Lamnia/Lanmia?) growing well in shade. It is sorta
invasive though, so plan carefully. PAT

NightMist wrote:

I have a love-hate relationship with periwinkle.
If it wasn't trying to take over the world I would love it.
The problem with either bluebell is they die back after blooming. The
problem with lily of the valley (which I just adore) is it is just as
invasive as periwinkle only slower about it. On the plus side though
it does not thrive so well in full sunlight, so would likely stay
where I want it. Reletively.

Old August 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pami

Default OT Sweet Tea

I love Sun Tea. 5 tea bags in a 2 quart jar...fill with water put on the
lid and let the sun do the rest.
pami

Old August 9th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I have a bunch of different hostas in my shady spot. They might flower more
profusely with a little more sun, but it's the leaves that really look
pretty all summer long. Mixed in a bit of alchemilla at the front of the
bed, I love those leaves too, and it flowers very well.
Roberta in D, cold winters, summers moderate to warm

"NightMist" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a shady spot in the yard next to a wall that I am making plans
for.
Those plans include bleeding heart, I love them.
It is balancing the bloom times so that it looks nice most of the year
that is taking time. So far I am thinking bleeding heart, astilbe,
hellbore, and primrose. I think the shade is light enough that some
fritillarias might do alright there, checked lilies at least. I
figure anything that does well in full shade I can get extras of and
put them on the slope. Most of the mail order places sell groups of
three for very slightly less than two of anything costs, so some
things I can get an extra of very cheaply.
I do wish that those himalayan blue poppies were less expensive. I
found a place to get seed, but everything I have read warns that the
seed is fragile and thus has a very poor germination rate. At $3 a
packet as opposed to $20+ per plant I might risk it anyway. I am
thinking to at least get some dianthus and primrose from the same
place, so it would not cost the shipping. (www.hardyplants.com)

NightMist

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 20:08:11 -0700, (Patti S)
wrote:

NightMist
Bleeding Hearts do well in the shade, as do Coleus and Hostas. I have
one, teeny, tiny space outside that I can have for a "shade garden", and
some of the shade plants are just delightful!

Patti in Seattle

From:
(NightMist) wrote:
I have a love-hate relationship with periwinkle. If it wasn't trying to
take over the world I would love it. The problem with either bluebell is
they die back after blooming. The problem with lily of the valley (which
I just adore) is it is just as invasive as periwinkle only slower about
it. On the plus side though it does not thrive so well in full sunlight,
so would likely stay where I want it. Reletively.
I would put wintergreen on that bank, except DH is violently allergic to
it. kiri is almost as allergic to ferns as DH is to the wintergreen, so
those are out.
Maybe I should just start getting some shade plants and tucking them in
here and there every year. Make a map, take advantage of assorted
specials, and save my brain.
NightMist

Old August 9th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Mushrooms? Now that's unusual!
Roberta in D

"Bonnie NJ" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ink.net...
When I cook sauerkraut, I rinse and drain then add to a large pan. I add
couple of dashes of caraway seed, some frozen apple juice concentrate, a
few red skin potatoes and then put a pork tenderloin on top. Cook about
an hour at low heat and just before serving add a can of mushrooms.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 9th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Roberta Zollner wrote:
I have a bunch of different hostas in my shady spot. They might flower more
profusely with a little more sun, but it's the leaves that really look
pretty all summer long. Mixed in a bit of alchemilla at the front of the
bed, I love those leaves too, and it flowers very well.
Roberta in D, cold winters, summers moderate to warm

Love Hostas, but so do the slugs and snails. Most of mine have shredded
leaves, though there are one or two varieties they don't like so much,
but don't know any of the names.

With cotoneaster horizontalis you have the flowers followed by the
berries, so lots of interest over a long season.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Anyone tried Sweet 16 Pattern? joysjane Quilting 4 December 28th 06 05:41 PM
Sweet Treats? monique Quilting 24 June 23rd 06 02:51 PM
OT - Sweet Dreams? Dawn >^..^ Beads 0 July 7th 05 06:51 AM
Just a sweet lady NightMist Quilting 1 June 6th 05 11:03 AM
Sweet Pea Gazebo Linda Wright Needlework 20 June 3rd 04 01:55 PM