Wallpapering directly to walls or to posterboard first?

Old March 23rd 04, 10:07 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Wallpapering directly to walls or to posterboard first?

I had an idea about wallpapering - it's going to be difficult working
in such enclosed spaces, (though the gable is done already - I did
that portion prior to assembly - I KNEW I'd never be able to get
inside there) and I was wondering how I was going to hide some of my
(ahem) messy electrical tape runs, and the eyelets.

Someone suggested putting scotch tape over some of that, and I can do
that, but... what if I made posterboard plans of the walls, made sure
they fit perfectly, wallpapered that, and then when it was dry,
affixing it in place, perhaps with wallpaper paste.

There are some advantages:

1. Working in a non-enclosed space would be much easier.
2. It would be easier to correct mistakes (throw away the posterboard
and start over if need be)
3. It would better cover the flaws in the walls like bubbles in the
electric or whatnot.

However, I'm sure there are disadvantages, but I'm not sure what they
are, not having done this before. Is there anyone who has used this
method? What are the pros and cons?

Any advice?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 23rd 04, 11:22 PM
betsyb

Here is what we did. Card stock from staples We bought an off white, kinda
beige. Printed the wallopaper to that. Measured and stuck it on with double
sided sticky tape. Covers the electrical tapes and othe sins.
Nearly all my wallpaper was made on an old Geocities account I have from my
webtv days. All you need is a tile in the color you like.

om...

Old March 23rd 04, 11:26 PM
havana bill & holly

Making patterns of the walls & papering over acidfree cardstock is a good
idea even if you just want to change the decor later. You could attach the
wall pieces with double-lided tapethat would hold everything close enough to
the tape run so the brads make contact.
"Cathy Weeks" wrote
I had an idea about wallpapering - it's going to be difficult working
in such enclosed spaces ... what if I made posterboard plans of the walls,

Old March 23rd 04, 11:29 PM
betsyb

http://www.geocities.com/woodenigloo...throomwall.htm

This is one I made and it is very long. I need to shorten it a bit.

Old March 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
betsyb

Smaller squares

http://www.geocities.com/woodenigloo.geo/parquet2.htm

Old March 24th 04, 02:15 PM
Cathy Weeks

"betsyb" wrote in message ...
Smaller squares

http://www.geocities.com/woodenigloo.geo/parquet2.htm

Wow...thanks for the URLs!

Cathy
Old March 24th 04, 02:17 PM
Cathy Weeks

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
Making patterns of the walls & papering over acidfree cardstock is a good
idea even if you just want to change the decor later. You could attach the
wall pieces with double-lided tapethat would hold everything close enough to
the tape run so the brads make contact.

I take it the issue is that if I'm installing outlets, the nails on
the back of the outlet have to poke through the wallpaper, and
cardstock, and tape wire, and still be long enough to be imbedded into
the wall to hold tightly? Is this a problem?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 24th 04, 03:54 PM
betsyb

Since I didn't install them, I just had to go and look. They went right thru
the card stock into the tape behind it. The area the tap runs is marked in
pencil on the trimwork My hubby didn't swear, so I assume they installed
easily. If things aren't working like they should the room fills with green
fog!!