Ott Lamps

Old November 27th 04, 12:55 AM
Tamara

Default Ott Lamps

I was asked for my wish list by my parent's. I put an Ott Lamp on it.
I was researching them and see they come with 13 or 18 watt bulbs. Does
anyone have one and what can they tell me what they like or do not like
about them.

Thank you,
Tamara
remove nospam to reply

Old November 27th 04, 01:18 AM
Polly Esther

I love our Ott. I think it came from Allbrands for about $100. I think you
can get something similar at office supply stores for less. The Ott lives by
my SM and is wonderful; if I am handstitching I just swing it around. Can't
be beat late at night for stitching on black or at anytime for seeing what a
color really looks like. It even improves my disposition. Go for it! Polly

Old November 27th 04, 01:44 PM
Carolyn McCarty

I'm so envious! No one has offered to buy me an Ott light for any
occasion!!! :-) I've used the portable at a friend's house, it's grand for
checking color. But the one on the stand would be best. Don't know about
wattage, that's out of my technological league. I only know they work, and
they make work easier.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old November 27th 04, 04:29 PM
Debbi

I bought mine about 5 years ago. I have the large OTT light, will eventually
get a desk size to put near my SM. I love it. I enjoy doing handquilting at
night while watching the idiot tube. My eyes like the light as it is bright
enough to see the marking lines, but has no obnoxious glare to bother me.

Debbi in SO CA

Old November 27th 04, 04:45 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Carolyn McCarty" wrote:

I'm so envious! No one has offered to buy me an Ott light for any
occasion!!! :-) I've used the portable at a friend's house, it's grand for
checking color. But the one on the stand would be best. Don't know about
wattage, that's out of my technological league. I only know they work, and
they make work easier.

My two DDs always have trouble buying me a Christmas gift -- I don't
understand that, since I'm always happy with a gift certificate to the
LQS or clothes or something. Anyway, this year I asked for a floor model
Ott lamp and even gave them a coupon for JoAnn's sale, telling them that
I wasn't sure what it would cost and that they weren't to buy it if it
turned out to be too expensive. But I have my fingers crossed! g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old November 27th 04, 05:23 PM
Marlys in Indiana

By all means, get the 18 watt. I figure that the more light you get
the better. I love my OTT and it is a floor model, 18 watt. I really
wouldn't want the 13 at all. Mine, also, lives right by my SM.
Hope this helps.
Marlys in Indiana

Old November 27th 04, 05:40 PM
Kathryn Walker

Is the Ott light the same/similar as the full spectrum lights?

Kathryn in Mi

Old November 27th 04, 06:18 PM
dogmom

With such glowing responses, go for it! Sounds like you raised your parents
well! However if you're of a cheaper mind (or like your Ott so much you want
one everywhere) DH and I have "white" bulbs throughout our house. He says
some cast a slightly pink tint; others slightly yellow--but his eyes must be
better than mine, because to me they're all white clean light--fluorescent
in effect--and wonderful for sewing and reading. The one we put in the lamp
where I sew we got at Home Depot. It's made by Commercial Electric; it's a
spiral shape, 19 volts. It lasts forever and generates nearly no heat (which
is a nice feature when living in the South, in a trailer--the less heat
generators, the better!) I think the GE Reveal bulbs (which I've seen at
Office Depot) are similar. DH says none of these are as good at the Ott but
it's another option to consider.

Dogmom

Old November 27th 04, 06:22 PM
NightMist

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:55:57 -0800, Tamara
wrote:

I was asked for my wish list by my parent's. I put an Ott Lamp on it.
I was researching them and see they come with 13 or 18 watt bulbs. Does
anyone have one and what can they tell me what they like or do not like
about them.

I put a 13 watt ott bulb into a standard halogen desk lamp and it
works fine. I use it mostly for painting, I haven't really had any
problems with it at all. For sewing you might prefer either the clamp
on variety or a floor lamp. I think the clamps come in just 13W and
the floor lamps come in just 18. Wattage seems to depend on how far
from the work the lamp is going to be.

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old November 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Lee Kerrighan

In article ,
Tamara wrote:

I was asked for my wish list by my parent's. I put an Ott Lamp on it.
I was researching them and see they come with 13 or 18 watt bulbs. Does
anyone have one and what can they tell me what they like or do not like
about them.

Thank you,
Tamara
remove nospam to reply

Tamara,
I have both the 18w floor lamp and the 13w fold-up task lamp. I like
them both; the floor model is by the sofa where I embroider. It doesn't
*seem* to give that much light, but it is good light, not tiring to my
eyes. The smaller one is by my SM, where it is invaluable for matching
colours of thread or buttons to fabrics. It's also my travel model, so I
can embroider in dark motel rooms.
Lee