Newbie Help

Old November 22nd 03, 05:16 PM
A.J.Martin

Default Newbie Help

Hello everyone,
My wife has been really getting into making jewelry the last two years, so
much so, that she and my daughter are even doing a 'Mother/Daughter' show in
December.
I'd like to invest in her new found hobby and ramp her up to 'the next
level'.
To my thinking, this would be giving her the ability to
solder/weld/grind/polish silver.
Can anyone recommend a book and a 'starter set', whether it exists in kit
form or that I have to track down and buy the components.
As an example, she is using a Dermal and dental burrs to drill small holes
thru Abalone and semi precious stones and then putting silver clasps thru.
I know she would like to encase the entire backside and sort of 'frame' the
pieces, then have real hoops that have no joints in them.
Websites? Resources?
I want to give this to her as a Christmas present.
Thank you for all the help.
Andy Martin
Nash, TN

Old November 23rd 03, 01:24 AM
MP

Hi Andy,

A great resource to start with is the Rio Grande Tools
and Equipment Catalog which you can order from
www.riogrande.com. It's about 500 pages of good color
photographs covering just about anything you would
ever need in the way of jewelry supply and they
actually print the prices, unlike some others that
want you to call. The catalog is $10.00, but the
prices rarely change and it's great to thumb through
and see what's out there.

This catalog does offer "kits" of bundled tools, but
I would suggest holding off on buying something like
that. Most likely there would be some tools that would
never get used and create clutter. My view is that you
identify the tools you (or in this case your wife)
need and get the right item.

You identified two needs in your posting, namely
soldering and polishing. The first will require a
torch of some kind. All jewelry soldering is done at
high temperature, not the low temp kind used in
electronics, and so high heat is needed, which is why
you need a torch. Torches are based on the gases that
will be used (Oxygen/Acetylene, Oxygen/Propane,
Acetylene/Atmosphere). I use just acetylene with a
torch that introduces atmosphere. This means I only
have one tank to fill and secure, also this
combination does not burn as hot as Oxyacetylene and
so does not require UV eye protection to use (welding
goggles). If your wife is only going to be soldering
then this setup is ok, but higher temperatures are
needed for casting (as you have to melt a lot of metal
fast). Rio Grande carries all of these, but you could
probably find all these at a welding supply near you
to save on shipping and so that the tanks would be
filled right then (can't ship filled tanks).

As for polishing, a lot of people use the Dremel tool
that you mentioned, or they step up to using a Flex
Shaft tool from Foredom. These are like dentist drills
in that they are motors attached to a foot control on
one end and a handle on the other for using various
tips. There are several different models available
with different horsepower motors. These may spin
faster than the Dremel, have more attachments and a
larger range of motion. There are all sorts of burs,
sanders, polishers, etc. You can also buy or make a
stand that allows the end of the Flex Shaft to work as
a drill press (for small bits).

I'm a big believer in having a lot of books on a
favorite subject, so here are some that I have and might
suggest:

The Complete Metalsmith
Author: Tim McCreight
Tim McCreight has a virtual monopoly on jewelry and
metalworking books, but that is because they are all
pretty good. If your wife had no other books, she should
have this one for its clear presentation of practical
techniques, list of suppliers and further reading
suggestions. It's spiral bound so it lays flat for
bench reference and is about 11.00 new.

The Encyclopedia of Jewelry-Making Techniques
Author: Jinks McGrath
This book show a wide rage of techniques used in
jewelry making. While it does show the steps to do
these things, its best use is to see what can be done,
then find more in-depth material on how to do it.
(about 25.00 new)

Jewelry (Fundamentals of Metalsmithing)
Author: Tim McCreight
This book offers more examples and techniques
specifically aimed toward jewelry design and creation.
Another good one from Tim McCreight.
(30.00 new)

The Art of Jewelry Design
Author: Elizabeth Oliver
Where Tim McCreight focuses on the how of jewelry,
this book is all about the why. Technique is barely
mentioned in this book with all the emphasis placed on
how to generate ideas for jewelry, keeping your ideas
fresh and meaningful.
(30.00 new)

The Theory and Practice of Goldsmithing
Author: Erhard Brepohl
This book is dense in some places covering the related
chemical, physical and geometric properties relating
to smithing. If your wife becomes more serious about
metalsmithing or if you think she would appreciate
such a volume, it is a great addition to any
collection of metal references.
(70.00 new)

One last consideration is perhaps a subscription to
Metalsmith magazine. They put out five issues a year,
four regular article issues and one exhibition in
print (that issue is devoted to looking at examples of
artists working in metal from all over the U.S.) It is
a nice change from some of the jewelry magazines that
focus more on technique and sales.

Hope that some of this helps in time for Christmas.

Max Phippeny

Old November 23rd 03, 04:01 AM
A.J.Martin

Thanks so much Max,
Yours is EXACTLY the kind of input I was looking for.
Thanks again,
Andy

Intro and newbie question *~Candygrrl~* Beads 26 September 21st 04 06:04 PM
Newbie Lampworkers starlia Beads 17 April 24th 04 01:28 PM
OT A favor (Should be: Not so Newbie Introduction LOOOOONG) Carol in SLC Beads 104 August 28th 03 06:25 AM
RCB FAQ and Newbie Welcome - Weekly Post 8/15/03 Kandice Seeber Beads 1 August 15th 03 07:57 PM
Newbie!!! (i admit it, and need all the advice i can get) C. Gregory Beads 7 July 9th 03 04:31 AM