Need advice on making prism

Old August 12th 04, 07:31 AM
Dave Mundt

Default Need advice on making prism

Greetings and Salutations.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:30:03 -0400, "Bob J"
wrote:

I have a project that requires two 4 degree prisms about an inch square for
deflecting light in stereo macrophotography. I have not been successful
finding a commercial supplier and have been using water filled prisms for
testing, but they leak and are not a viable long term solution.

I was thinking that maybe instead of water I could just pour an acrylic or
urethane resin in between two thin microscope slides at a 4 degree angle to
each other and create an optically clear prism. Would this work? And if
so, what type of resin would be best? And where could I purchase the resin?
Or should I learn how to grind glass instead? Any thoughts and advice
would be appreaciated.

--

Bob Jacobson
http://www.pbase.com/bobjacobson/

Hum...I just took a look at one of the pieces I have for
a bevel cluster (another pending project), and, without measuring
anything, that sounds pretty close to the angle that the edge is
bevelled at. You might be able to adjust the design a bit to
use this pre-ground angle.
However, I suspect that pretty much any person that bevels
glass could make you as many as you want out of whatever glass you
want to use. It won't be REAL cheap though.
The problem I see is getting a good, flat surface on the
thing. Ingall's, (hum...Ingal's??? - I dont remember right now) in
his seminal series "Amateur Telescope Making", covers making optical
glass prisms in great detail, so it would be a great resource for you.
Over all, though, with care, and some practice, you should
be able to crank these out in very short order, even if doing them
by hand.
A quick Google Search also turned up this site:
http://www.redoptronics.com/wedge-prisms.html
which has as standard stock, 3 degree, 53' wedge prisms of a
good optical quality. That might be "good enough" for your purpose.
However a search for "optical glass prism 4 degree" brings back
enough hits that SOMEONE can probably help you. Although it SAYS
25,000 hits, that is meaningless, as you can only look at the first
1000 thanks to an arbitrary limit set by Google.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Old August 12th 04, 02:23 PM
chunk

Contact your local rock club or rock shop and find some local faceters. They
should be able to make whatever you need fairly easily and accurately.

Chunk
vroc 5679