E. Rosevelt

Old January 18th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default E. Rosevelt

I saw the PBS special on Eleanor Roosevelt. I noticed that she was quite a
knitter. In many of the old newsclips, she is knitting right along. Who
would have thought that a person that busy, the president's right hand and
legs as it were, would be an active knitter?

Aaron

Old January 18th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:

I saw the PBS special on Eleanor Roosevelt. I noticed that she was quite a
knitter. In many of the old newsclips, she is knitting right along. Who
would have thought that a person that busy, the president's right hand and
legs as it were, would be an active knitter?

I didn't find it at all surprising. My gramma (same age) used to be
able to read, rock the baby, and knit at the same time. I'd probably
have been more surprised if she didn't do *something*. Nearly every
upper class woman did some sort of handwork (embroidery, knitting,
sewing, knotting, etc). Knitting has the added advantage of providing
something *useful* upon its completion.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
Old January 18th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
om...
I saw the PBS special on Eleanor Roosevelt. I noticed that she was quite
knitter. In many of the old newsclips, she is knitting right along. Who
would have thought that a person that busy, the president's right hand
and
legs as it were, would be an active knitter?

Aaron

:drily: Eleanor could really be considered our first female prez.
Noreen

Old January 18th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Eleanor Roosevelt was certainly into being "useful" . That would have
appealed to her. I can see her talking to ordinary women of the time
about their crafts - as a means to reach out to them and reduce the
perceived distance between them.
I also enjoyed the PBS special - I had read most of the information
over the years but it was well presented and the personal touches
through the interviews helped give a new perspective to the familiar.

One of my fondest memories is of the day back when I was a college
student when I was selected as one of two students to serve as hosts to
Eleanor Roosevelt. She was speaking at the conference of the National
Students Association. She was showing her age by then but her eyes
sparkled and she would listen with great attention when you spoke to
her and didn't in the least act like she thought herself to be some
very important person. She wasn't a physically attractive person but
had great charisma - it is hard to explain why she had such a presence,
but she did. I think she blossomed in the years after her husband died
- of course, I don't really remember the time before that - having only
learned of her earlier life by reading . (Hearing the news of his death
is one of my earliest memories of things beyond my family life.) I did
hear her speak one additional time - to the women students of my
university.

Old January 18th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The YarnWright wrote:
wrote in message
om...
I saw the PBS special on Eleanor Roosevelt. I noticed that she was
quite a
knitter. In many of the old newsclips, she is knitting right along.
Who would have thought that a person that busy, the president's
right hand and
legs as it were, would be an active knitter?

Aaron

drily: Eleanor could really be considered our first female prez.

Noreen

Troo.

Higs,
Katherine

Old January 19th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
wrote:

I saw the PBS special on Eleanor Roosevelt. I noticed that she was quite a
knitter. In many of the old newsclips, she is knitting right along. Who
would have thought that a person that busy, the president's right hand and
legs as it were, would be an active knitter?

Aaron

Aaron, Eleanor was that kind of a person, down to earth, inteligent, and
involved. I great woman.

Els