Persian Rug designs?

Old November 1st 13, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Persian Rug designs?

On Saturday, June 7, 1997 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant wrote:
I've just started browsing this group and have had a quick look through
the FAQs. I didn't see any info though on my passion. I am besotted with
the Persian rug designs of the Arab world. I am living in the Persian
Gulf at present. Will be in Saudi Arabia by September after two years in
Bahrain (off coast of Saudi). I have silk hand-knotted Persian rug and
a couple of 100% wool factory rugs from Turkey and Iran.
I have a book by Frank Cooper about miniature rugs, and one by Mary
Norden called Ethnic Needlepoint with some lovely designs.

My question is: are there any other books, publishing houses, kits, etc
that use the traditional Persian motifs? I don't particularly like the
Oriental, as in Chinese, designs, but the designs more associated with
Iran, Turkey, etc.

I also love the Australian/desert motifs and would like any advice on
the best place to look for those.

I am also a quilter and lurk on the quilting newsgroup. I am amassing
a fabric stash that will allow me to produce a quilted version of a
Persian rug design. They are so rich in colour.

Thanks in advance,
Sheila Plant in scorching, humid Bahrain.

Hi, I'm living in India, in the misty chilly Himalayas. I have the Cooper book and over the last decade have done all the patterns that I like. Some more than once! So today I just finished a little Mongolian design and am looking for something new new new to do.Preferably Kazakh or Caucasian or maybe even Bhutanese.
any charts would be ecstatically received.

nan