gluing organics to metal

Old August 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Snaggeltooth

Default gluing organics to metal

What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do
unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

ST

--
remove the brackets [ ] to reply by email

Old August 14th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

Snaggeltooth schrieb:
What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do
unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

ST

Every epoxy is good enough for that. Important is only your treatment.
Cleaning, perfect mixing of the ingredients, and good contact to the surfaces.
So it´s a good idea to sand the silver surface before.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck gut verkaufen und günstig kaufen http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Geschichten berühmter Juwelen http://www.royal-magazin.de
Old August 14th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:40:42 +0000, Snaggeltooth wrote:

What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do
unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

The quick drying epoxies usually do not form as strong a bond, and I
would stay away from them. The strongest epoxy I've found is JB Weld.
Both surfaces to be joined need to have a bit of tooth and must be very
clean.

BTW, don't do it with anything valuable -- use a mechanical
mount that can be removed.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/

Old August 14th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:12:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry mbstevens
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:40:42 +0000, Snaggeltooth wrote:

What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do
unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

The quick drying epoxies usually do not form as strong a bond, and I
would stay away from them. The strongest epoxy I've found is JB Weld.
Both surfaces to be joined need to have a bit of tooth and must be very
clean.

BTW, don't do it with anything valuable -- use a mechanical
mount that can be removed.

I'll second the comment on the five minute/quick epoxies. Among other things,
they're not waterproof (think perspiration) over time. My own favorite with
epoxy for jewelry is Hughes "epoxy 330" if you want the cleanest look, with a
transparent epoxy, or "epoxy 220", which is slightly stronger, but has an amber
color, not clear. Both set up in about an hour, but can be speeded up by
placing very close to an incandescent light bulb to heat them as they cure. Then
it's ten minutes. Fine with pearls (don't do this to amber, I suspect...)

As to the not doing this with valuables, well, I'll beg to differ a bit, at
least as it comes to pearls. Epoxies ARE removable. "Attack" solvent takes the
bonds apart with no damage to parts or gems, SO LONG AS THE GEM CAN WITHSTAND
THE SOLVENT. Cultured pearls are fine with this. Mabe or other assembled
pearls or things like doublet and triplet gems, are not. Resin gems like amber
probably are not OK with it either, though I'm not sure.

The other class of glues that are commonly used with pearl posts, by the way,
are the cyanoacrylates (super glues) Most perform about the same once cured.
Harder to disassemble, though you usually can do it with accurate application of
heat to the metal. Super glues require a very close fit between the peg and the
pearl, or other parts being jointed, to work well. They're not good gap fillers
(and the gel types that DO fill gaps, are not that strong). Epoxies are better
with gap filling. And, though you have to mess with mixing, they're neater to
apply. Super glues have some nasty traps, such as the propensity to leave a
whiteish foggy coating on things if, after you glue the pearl on your finished
masterpiece, you make the mistake of cleaning it, steaming it, or putting it in
a ziplock bag too soon after the glue sets.

cheers

Peter
Old August 15th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Snaggeltooth wrote:
What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Pearl cement.

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do

Why?

unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

Loctite industrial adhesives.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old August 15th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

mbstevens wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:40:42 +0000, Snaggeltooth wrote:

What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to do
unless there is not an alternative adhesive.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

The quick drying epoxies usually do not form as strong a bond, and I
would stay away from them. The strongest epoxy I've found is JB Weld.
Both surfaces to be joined need to have a bit of tooth and must be very
clean.

BTW, don't do it with anything valuable -- use a mechanical
mount that can be removed.

I disagree. Pearl cements and epoxies are fine, and CAN easily be removed with
"Attack" for instance.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...3&cat=0&page=1

And what exactly do you mean with "mechanical mount"? How would you mount a
pearl "mechanically" to a sterling silver post? Would you elaborate a bit
please.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old August 15th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Snaggeltooth

Great info! Although I have to say that if I intend to glue something
together, I want it to stay there forever so being able to disassemble is
not even a factor.
I tried using G-S Hypo Cement but it would not hold. Then I used E6000
which did take, but that stuff is too thick and gunky and hard to use in
very small applications without getting the spider web effect. I've
noticed the whitish film when using super glue, which is why I didn't
attempt using it on good matched pearls and sterling. So, I'll try the
Hughes 330 and see how it does.

thanks guys,

ST

Old August 15th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:29:51 +0000, Abrasha wrote:

And what exactly do you mean with "mechanical mount"? How would you mount a
pearl "mechanically" to a sterling silver post? Would you elaborate a bit
please.

I should have excluded pearls; I mount drilled pearls with adhesives
myself. I do believe that _generally_ if you want a permanent mount of
something on a metal surface, a mechanical one is better than an
adhesive one.

Old August 15th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Snaggeltooth

What is the best glue to use to join an organic material like pearls to a
sterling silver post?

Pearl cement.

I googled "pearl cement" and found only one place that sold anything listing
"pearl cement" and that was at HSWalsh. When I previewed the product, it
showed G-S Hypo Cement which I've already used and it didn't hold. The
pearl fell right off the post while I was wearing the earrings so that's
when I used E6000, but as I mentioned in previous response, that's goopy and
subject to the spider web effect. Not the best stuff to use for such a
small application. It did work however.
Does this pearl cement have a brand name?

Epoxies usually require mixing which is something I really don't want to
do

Why?

Perhaps I am remembering the kind my dad used to use, and I remember it
being a pain in the ass - having two huge syringes, finding something to mix
the two parts together on, making sure the two parts are of equal volume,
etc. Seems like overkill when I only need a miniscule amount for a couple
of pearl earrings at any given time. If epoxies have changed that much in
the past 15 - 20 years, then surely I need to look into it a bit further.

Any brand name adhesives you like better than others for the same
application?

Loctite industrial adhesives.

Thanks, I'll check it out as well as the Hughes 330 Peter suggested.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old August 17th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Andrew Werby

"Abrasha" wrote
And what exactly do you mean with "mechanical mount"? How would you mount
pearl "mechanically" to a sterling silver post? Would you elaborate a bit
please.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

[I'm surprised you don't know how to do this. Split the post and insert a
small wedge of silver. Push the pearl onto it, driving the wedge into the
split and expanding it in the hole. This results in a "mechanical"
connection that was often used before the advent of modern glues. Of course,
a little epoxy helps too...]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin General Crafting 1 January 17th 08 01:38 AM
Question for some one who uses perforated vacum flasks Bruce Jewelry 3 May 31st 06 06:41 AM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 01:28 PM
Gluing glass to metal MS Jewelry 5 May 15th 04 07:00 AM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Jewelry 8 January 29th 04 04:39 PM