"Bored now."

Old May 21st 04, 05:47 PM
the black rose

Default "Bored now."

Making a quilt for my youngest son, it's a whooooooooole lotta 15"
mariner's compasses, I've gotta pic of one at
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43983978WWVbdx . My
original plan was to applique them into 16.5" squares, and set the
squares on point, 4 rows of 3 alternating with 3 rows of 2 (which equals
18 compasses).

I've made 5, and now I'm bored. *Now* I realize I should have varied
the colors I used, but I wasn't thinking. This many compasses, that
many strips of this fabric, this many strips of that fabric, yada yada,
it's all pre-cut now (I was being efficient), and the strips are
different widths (1.5", 1.75", 2.25") so I can't just mix and match.

Do I struggle through the rest of the 18 compasses, or do I throw
caution to the winds (and the precut strips into my scrap stash) and
improvise? Five compasses is enough to do *something* with.... just
make some nice wide borders or something, or maybe take some of the
strips and make some other kind of block to set with the compasses.

Or I *could* gird my loins, grit my teeth, turn on the TV and just keep
sewing. And it'll be an awesome quilt if I do.

*sigh* Decisions, decisions....

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old May 21st 04, 05:52 PM
Dannielle

I think they are gorgeous and it would be an absolutely fabulous quilt when
you are finished...however, if you are bored with it already it could end up
on the pile of things that will never be finished or things that aren't put
together as well as you would like because you just wanted it finished.

I believe that you could make multiple quilts with those that you have
pre-cut and vary the colors in all of them! Throw caution to the wind is my
vote (and get some extra S.E.X. to make it happy again)!

Dannielle

Old May 21st 04, 06:31 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"the black rose" wrote in message
I struggle through the rest of the 18 compasses, or do I throw
caution to the winds (and the precut strips into my scrap stash) and
improvise? Five compasses is enough to do *something* with.... just
make some nice wide borders or something, or maybe take some of the
strips and make some other kind of block to set with the compasses.

By all means, IMPROVISE! Why continue making it unless you're enjoying the
process?

As to the fabric that's already cut, well it will tell you what it wants to
be sooner or later. Maybe it will want to be in this quilt, maybe in
another. Don't sweat it.

(You could even put the strips on the back, and title the quilt "I Threw
Caution To The Winds".)
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 21st 04, 06:45 PM
Diana Curtis

I vote Improvise!!!
Or I will find you something to do young lady.... ooops.. shades of my
mother...
Diana

Old May 21st 04, 06:53 PM
georg

the black rose wrote:

Making a quilt for my youngest son, it's a whooooooooole lotta 15"
mariner's compasses, I've gotta pic of one at
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43983978WWVbdx . My
original plan was to applique them into 16.5" squares, and set the
squares on point, 4 rows of 3 alternating with 3 rows of 2 (which equals
18 compasses).

That is gorgeous- and is coming out well!

I agree though- boredom is evil. Improvise.

One idea: Alternate the stripsets perhaps with the green being forefront
on the next block.

Or use the sliced strips for sashing or stripped into the background.

You can even put one of the compasses in the center, and cut the others
into quarters and do a mock drunkards path type of setting.

Don't grit your teeth- that'll just add stress and agony that you don't
need.

-georg

Old May 21st 04, 07:01 PM
LAL

[...]

Greetings...

Ohhh, very pretty. And I do like your color choices. My first instinct....
Why do the compasses have to be in nice neat rows?? Put out a goodly size
piece of fabric and toss those compasses on it. See where they land. Don't
like the configuration? Pick 'em up & toss 'em again. If nothing else, it
could relieve the boredom and you might want to finished up the other
compasses. Or even make just a couple more to toss around.

Just what popped out of my brain.
lal

Old May 21st 04, 07:24 PM
JG

Very pretty! Maybe you could alternate compass blocks with squares of fabric
(similar to the layout of Candace's&Barbara'sQuillows2001 or
Mrs.W'sHeartQuillow2002 in my "Quillows" album at
http://photos.yahoo.com/gingerbread1958). That way, you would only need 11
or 9 compass blocks total. I also like lal's idea of not having them in nice
neat rows.
--
Ginger (in Texas)

Old May 21st 04, 07:34 PM
the black rose

Dannielle wrote:
I believe that you could make multiple quilts with those that you have
pre-cut and vary the colors in all of them!

Here's the problem with varying the colors.

The smallest points (greens) are made of 1.5" strips.
The medium points (medium browns) are made of 1.75" strips.
The large points (darkest brown/tan) are made of 2.25" strips.

Since the fabric is already cut, I can't make large points of the green
fabric or the medium browns. The 1.5" and 1.75" that they are already
cut into aren't wide enough. The colors are set in stone unless I cut
new strips, and I haven't enough extra fabric to do that.

This boredom is odd. I made 18 S&W blocks for a kaleidoscope quilt and
felt no boredom at all -- they were all the same technique, but I'm
guessing it kept my interest because I didn't know what the blocks would
look like until they were finished. With this quilt, now that I have
the technique down, it's lost its shiny new brightness.

I just need to get through making these blocks -- I've got several yards
of a dark print with tiger faces on it that the recipient wants put into
the quilt; I'll have fun figuring out where to put the faces. 12
compasses alternated with 6 fussy-cut tiger faces would be fun (so 12
compasses instead of 18), or I could put the tiger faces in the setting
triangles along the sides. I'm contemplating olive camo for the border
(and sashing if it needs it), and desert camo for the backing. (This
quilt is for a 13-yr-old boy.) I've also contemplated a nice bright
green piping around the compasses for a bit of visual zing, but it's
only 50-50 whether I'll do that.

Old May 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Julia Altshuler

I have a question for you. Forget for a moment about the boredom of
making these blocks. You have 5. How do you think the quilt will look
if you could get all 18 completed? Would the quilt look boring?

My guess is that this is the real trouble. I can do almost any
quiltmaking task (even applique) if my eye is on the goal and I'm
excited by that. I only run into trouble when it feels like I'm putting
in a ton of work for an end product that's not going to be worth it.

So my advice would be to think long and hard about that. Then, if you
decide that the 5 compasses that you have done provide enough interest
for a finished quilt, improvise. If not, buckle down and get sewing.

If you decide to the complete the rest of the compasses, can you do them
assembly line fashion? On one day sew the small green points together.
On the next, Do the medium sized brown ones. And so on. I'll bet
there are parts you could chain piece. Or maybe paper piecing is a
possibility?

If you decide to quit after the first 5, you could arrange them as you
would in a 9 patch with 5 compasses and 4 alternates. Am I correct that
you have the fabric cut into strips but not into small rectangles? If
that's the case, you could still cut it into like sized lengths and sew
it together for the alternate blocks and the border.

--Lia

Old May 22nd 04, 12:05 AM
DDM

Could you keep the 5 that you have already made and use some other fabrics
in the other 13? Or make 1 more to match the 5 you now have and 2 other
sets of 6? The strips you have already cut can always be used somewhere
else. I would agree with you though that it would look awesome with the way
you have planned it. The big question is how well do you work when you're
bored? g I like that pieced background you have it on a lot too.

Dee in LeRoy, NY