Searching for a sweing tool

Old July 6th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Woolstitcher

Default Searching for a sweing tool

Yesterday I got a quick glimpse of the Fons & Porter show. I wasn't able to
watch much, as we were getting ready to go out for the day. But, in the
limited time I was able to see the show I saw them use some sort of tool
that attached to a sewing machine that allowed a person to sew perfect
circles. I could see that you cut out a circle, adjusted the tool, placed
the circle on another pc. of fabric and placed it all on the center of the
circle on a pin. I'm not sure if there was a special food needed as well.
I could really use this tool, does anyone know what it is called or better
yet, a place that I can order it? I have googled, since I have no idea what
the tool is called I'm having trouble finding it.
Thank you very much.

Old July 6th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Special food? Su CHOCOLATE!
As to the tools, Pfaff makes a guide for stitching in circles. It slips into
the shaft of the foot thingie .... sort of like the guide for straight
lines. It has a small rubber tip that the operator presses gently so the
fabric goes around that in circles. The diameter of the circle does not
exceed about 5 or 6" though.
Is that any help?
PAT in VA/USA

Old July 6th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_4_]

Woolstitcher wrote:
Yesterday I got a quick glimpse of the Fons & Porter show. I wasn't able to
watch much, as we were getting ready to go out for the day. But, in the
limited time I was able to see the show I saw them use some sort of tool
that attached to a sewing machine that allowed a person to sew perfect
circles. I could see that you cut out a circle, adjusted the tool, placed
the circle on another pc. of fabric and placed it all on the center of the
circle on a pin. I'm not sure if there was a special food needed as well.
I could really use this tool, does anyone know what it is called or better
yet, a place that I can order it? I have googled, since I have no idea what
the tool is called I'm having trouble finding it.
Thank you very much.

Are you looking for something like this? It's called a circular sewing
attachment. http://www.sewnews.com/library/sewnews/library/aamach11/

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old July 6th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

I went to the same link as Julia - further down the page is a DIY
system using a pintack and tape to set up your own 'tool' for circle
sewing. Some of the sewing machine manufacturers sell their own
circular systems - check with your dealer for any information about
your brand of machine. I have seen quite large circles sewn using the
inside rim of an embroidery hoop as a guide while having the pintack
hold the fabric in place. I usually make do with marking out a circle
on the fabric (tracing an outline or using a pair of compasses) sew
the line using a small stitch length - trim close to the stitchline
with pinking shears - make a small slit on one side to turn the
fabric. There are lots of circle templates available now too if you
wanted to try this method. Spray starch would be an aid to circle
sewing as well as 'not having matching grain lines' for sewing.
jennellh

Old July 6th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I don't see that the poster said what size circle she wanted to stitch. If
she's meaning a tiny one such as an eyelet for threading or an eyelet as in
embroidery, there is a Bernina attachment for those little circles. If
fact, my Berninas can do those little circles as a special stitch. I use it
sometimes to tack a Minkee blanket. Polly

Old July 6th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Several different machine companies make "circle sewing" attachments for
their machines.
However, a cheap, easy way to do the same thing is this;
find a thumbtack with a fairly fine "pin" part.
Take a piece of tape and put the tack through the middle of the tape,
sticky side against the back of the head of the tack with quite a bit
hanging over the edges.
Figure out the radius of the circle you want and tape the tack
straight out from the needle that distance.
Put your fabric with the center of the circle on the tack, and sew,
slowly. The tack must be directly in line with the needle of the machine
or your circle will be wonky. G

I have used this technique on occasion, for some decorative stitching
(forward motion only) and such, but for applique I just follow the edge
of the circle I am appliquéing.

You might want to try it and see how it works for you. G

Pati, in Phx

Old July 6th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly

You can make your own version of this, quite easily and inexpensively.

Tools needed:
1 thumbtack
1 small piece of tape.

Measure your circle from the edge to the center (easiest to do if you fold
the circle in half twice, to mark the center). Place the thumbtack, point
up, on your sewing machine bed so the point is that distance way from the
left swing of the needle. Poke a small hole in the center of the tape (using
the thumbtack works!) and tape the thumbtack in place. Put the center of
your circle on the thumbtack, set your machine to a satin-stitch zigzag, and
sew.

Easy-peasy, and cheap! If you like the technique, you can buy an attachment
if you want, but you don't need an attachment to do it.

Dragonfly (Pam)

Old July 6th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

http://www.workshopontheweb.com/july2001/val.htm
yet another article about the machine attachment.
says there it works on different machines, worth a read to
check which ones.
j.

"Woolstitcher" wrote...

Old July 6th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

this seemed the diy way to me as well, Pam.
have you tried it? got pix of the results?
think'n of the time spent doing all those yoyo's by hand,
argh,
j.

"Dragonfly" wrote...

Old July 7th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

http://magstitch.blogspot.com/2007/1...stitchers.html
heres a pix of the tool.
j.

"nzlstar*" wrote...
[...]

searching for fabric Newsgroups Needlework 0 February 3rd 08 02:42 AM
searching for ? C Ryman Beads 6 November 17th 07 09:48 AM
Searching for ????????? Dorothy Quilting 26 April 18th 07 12:56 AM
purchase sweing and embrodiery and quilting supplies below retail prices at this website Laurie Spillman Machine Knit 2 February 24th 05 09:48 PM
Searching for a pattern [email protected] Yarn 2 January 19th 05 07:26 PM