Glass tools and Polyclay?

Old September 28th 04, 03:59 PM
Stephanie

Default Glass tools and Polyclay?

I have been reading the threads about the tools the lampworkers are working
with to musch glass into bead shapes. Has anyone tried these with polyclay, or
is it just overkill. (Like using a hammer and nails on clay).

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question? Search RCB:
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old September 28th 04, 04:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Any tool is fair game on polyclay. When I started sculpting with it I used
my fingernail file. Dental tools would be great. If it looks useful it
probably would be. (I have no idea what tools lampworkers use)
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old September 28th 04, 04:17 PM
~Candace~

When Diana says Anything--she means it. I use a cut up State of California
MediCal benefits card to square up my canes, or to let my roses sit on until
I have enough to justify heating up the whole house by curing them.

Old September 28th 04, 04:51 PM
Lori Greenberg

Stephanie wrote:

I have been reading the threads about the tools the lampworkers are working
with to musch glass into bead shapes. Has anyone tried these with polyclay, or
is it just overkill. (Like using a hammer and nails on clay).

Hi Stephanie.

I don't see why you couldn't use them but I would think that they're
kind of expensive since you could probably make your own molds right out
of polymer clay or something cheaper. That's my opinion though...I
haven't done clay in over 2 years now.

--
Lori Greenberg
www.beadnerd.com
Old September 28th 04, 06:20 PM
Stephanie

It's that squeeze action of the glass molds that appeals to me... I wonder if I
could find a cheaper alternative. Hey, maybe when you beadmakers have used them
up for glass work they would still be viable for polyclay? Does anyone have any
old squeezers you don't use and would want to sell?

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question? Search RCB:
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old September 28th 04, 06:38 PM
starlia

Those dang squeeze molds are expensive. First you have to have the base,
either $110 with lentil press or close to that for one that will hold four
presses. Then the press itself is around $65 I think. They are fairly new
but if you want to try one look in the swap shop on Wetcanvas and you might
find one for sale or trade.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 28th 04, 07:15 PM
Carla

I'm thinking of ordering the tiny lentil masher. What appeals to me is
the cut-outs for putting in holes.

I wrote to tapcraft and asked if they'd be suitable for polyclay. He
(she?) wrote back, asking how hard is the clay; said they may go out of
alignment if working something too hard.

I think clay may be soft enough where it won't be a problem.

Cheers,
Carla

Old September 28th 04, 07:26 PM
Lori Greenberg

Carla wrote:
I wrote to tapcraft and asked if they'd be suitable for polyclay. He
(she?) wrote back, asking how hard is the clay; said they may go out of
alignment if working something too hard.

I think clay may be soft enough where it won't be a problem.

The tapcrafts should be ok. Since they wouldn't be hot, you could press
with your fingers right on the cups and even trim around the edges.
You don't have to use the handles if you don't want to.

Old September 28th 04, 09:04 PM
starlia

Those sound great. Also the Onieda ice cube tongs are great for lentils. I
purchased some for another RCBer lately and adjusted them just so.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

ink.net...