De-stashing

Old October 18th 04, 09:57 PM
The Other Kim

Default De-stashing

Hey all!

I've been a bit AWOL lately; work, kids, and just trying to get things
in some semblance of order tend to do that to a person. Anyway, I'm
going through all the stuff this house has accumulated in the past 15+
years. I've only just begun to see the tip of the iceberg,and I'm not
sure what all I'm going to find.

Anyway, I did find complete sets of the Annie's Attic bed doll series
(crochet patterns) for 1993 through 1996. All 12 monthly patterns plus
bride dolls. If anyone is interested let me know. I do check in here
just about every day, and my email addy at the bottom is valid, with the
appropriate changes made.

Now back to the landfill that is my family room closet g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old October 18th 04, 10:57 PM
Shillelagh

"The Other Kim" wrote in message

Now back to the landfill that is my family room closet g

The Other Kim

Hi Kim
I can relate. My computer room/sewing room looks like a landfill for yarn.
I have bags and bags of it in here, and just threw it all out into the hall,
so I can find the heat register. This is a tiny room, barely room enough
for the 'puter and sewing machine. I have shelves in the closet that are
full of Xmas wrap, cards, ski boots, a bag full of hats, scarves and ski
gloves, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure I can jam some of the yarn into the totes in the other tiny
bedroom. (sigh) Wish me luck. ;)

Shelagh

Old October 18th 04, 11:17 PM
Stella Fenley

Hi Kim,
Kim,
Could you let me know more about the doll patterns.
Stella

Old October 18th 04, 11:38 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Shelagh,

Gee, your room sounds like mine. It's supposed to be for me, but everything
that we can't find room for gets stored in here. I too had to move things
around so I could turn on the heat.

Hugs,

Nora
Old October 19th 04, 01:24 AM
The Other Kim

Shelagh wrote:

Hi Kim
I can relate. My computer room/sewing room looks like a landfill for

yarn.
I have bags and bags of it in here, and just threw it all out into the

hall,
so I can find the heat register. This is a tiny room, barely room

enough
for the 'puter and sewing machine. I have shelves in the closet that

are
full of Xmas wrap, cards, ski boots, a bag full of hats, scarves and

ski
gloves, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure I can jam some of the yarn into the totes in the other tiny
bedroom. (sigh) Wish me luck. ;)

I had a room like that in the last place we lived. It was a 3-bedroom
townhouse, and we only needed 2 bedrooms, so one became by craft and
sewing room. Well, we were only in that place less than 3 years, but I
managed to fill the entire room with yarn and other goodies to the
extent that I ended up throwing out a lot of stuff when we moved here.
Here I've already gone through the yarns and kept the stuff I know I
will use, donated the stuff I bought for afghans that I never made
(labels intact), and threw out anything that was a partial skein/ball or
didn't have a label on it. I used to have 5 Rubbermaid storage
containers - a fairly large size, too - filled with yarn. I managed to
get what I saved into only one.

The reason I'm doing this is that a couple months ago, while the husband
and son were at Scout camp, I decided I had had enough of wading through
the debris field that was the main living area of my house. I'm the
only one, it seems, who actually picks up after herself, yet I'm also
the one expected to pick up after everyone else. I also noticed that I
was quite able to maintain a status quo once it had been established;
the mess wasn't getting any worse but wasn't getting any better, either,
just holding in a steady state. A couple years earlier a friend had
posted a link to the FlyLady site, so I went over there and signed up.
My big problem is that I always had to finish what I started (says she
of the countless UFOs g) in terms of cleaning the house, and that's
why it never got any better; it would have taken me several hours to get
the family room floor cleaned up enough to vacuum, and it's a large room
(17 x 20 feet). I started with FlyLady and in a matter of a couple days
of 15-minute clean ups the family room looked about 1000% better. Now,
my family room floor is clear, my kitchen looks better than it has in
years - still have one counter that attracts stuff, but it's better than
it was - my bathrooms are sparkling (in all fairness to me, that's the
one thing I was almost obsessive about; needed to have clean bathrooms),
and there's nothing in the hallway. I'm slowly picking away at the
living room/office/computer room/my space, but that's also a lot better
than it was. As part of this I'm going through the closets and dumping
stuff, and the family room closet is a major undertaking. My craft
stuff was taking up just about the entire bottom of it, and now there's
room for the bowling balls and vacuum cleaner, too.

Now I'm tackling the shelves, and that's where the rest of the stash is.
I know I've got some old Vogue Knitting and Knitters magazines and who
knows what else. Should be fun to discover things again
:-)

Old October 19th 04, 03:14 AM
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"The Other Kim" wrote in message

Now back to the landfill that is my family room closet g

The Other Kim

Hi Kim
I can relate. My computer room/sewing room looks like a landfill for
yarn. I have bags and bags of it in here, and just threw it all out
into the hall, so I can find the heat register. This is a tiny room,
barely room enough for the 'puter and sewing machine. I have shelves
in the closet that are full of Xmas wrap, cards, ski boots, a bag
full of hats, scarves and ski gloves, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure I can jam some of the yarn into the totes in the other tiny
bedroom. (sigh) Wish me luck. ;)

"Landfill"!!! What a perfect term! That is what I have - not a stash any
more. Thank you, ladies.

Katherine

Old October 19th 04, 03:17 AM
Katherine

The Other Kim wrote:
snip

I started with FlyLady and in a matter of a couple days of 15-minute
clean ups the family room looked about 1000% better.

I have started with FlyLady, too, but so far all I have gotten is guilt. I
have managed a couple of minor things, and hope to do more, but it is
difficult. Glad to hear that it worked for you. Maybe you'll be my
inspiration.

Katherine

Old October 19th 04, 03:35 AM
The Other Kim

Katherine wrote:

I started with FlyLady and in a matter of a couple days of 15-minute
clean ups the family room looked about 1000% better.

I have started with FlyLady, too, but so far all I have gotten is

guilt. I
have managed a couple of minor things, and hope to do more, but it is
difficult. Glad to hear that it worked for you. Maybe you'll be my
inspiration.

I figure if I can do it anyone can. I never have a lot of time to spend
cleaning or doing anything with regard to housework. With my work,
dealing with three kids, all on different schedules and doing different
activities, and the usual errands it's hard to keep up.

I started with the sink thing. I always make sure my dishes are all
done before going to bed anyway, so that week when it was just me and
the girls home I picked a day to do it. I brought in dinner so I didn't
have much in the way of dishes to do, then did the sink thing. While
the sink was soaking I started clearing off the counters. It spread
from there.

There are a few things I don't do, like wear shoes in the house - I'm
sorry, but I do medical transcription using a foot pedal, and the first
thing I do when I go to work is kick off my shoes and socks - and lay
out my clothes for the next day - my bedroom isn't big enough to have
any room for an extra chair to lay stuff out on - and I'm not doing this
for anyone but me. The others living here benefit, but they weren't the
reason I started. I decided it was time to take back my life, and this
is a huge part of that.

Don't let it make you feel guilty. Just do a little bit every day, and
look at what you've done instead of what needs to be done. Yeah, I
still look around and think, 'Boy, I've got a long way to go,' but then
I remember where I was a couple months ago and think, 'Boy, I've done a
lot.' Some of it isn't obvious, like organizing the pantry, but it's
done. Those BabySteps do add up.

Hang in there, and don't let the nagging get you down g Click through
the email reminders and just do what you feel you can do. Making a list
of things to do, the Morning and Before Bed Routines, really does help.
I know that I get more done in my first hour awake in the morning than
everyone else in this house does in the rest of the day combined, but
that's the way it's always been. Now I keep track of it for when
someone dares to ask me what I do since I'm home all day g

Old October 19th 04, 04:26 AM
Shillelagh

Katherine wrote:

I started with FlyLady and in a matter of a couple days of 15-minute
clean ups the family room looked about 1000% better.

I have started with FlyLady, too, but so far all I have gotten is

guilt. I
have managed a couple of minor things, and hope to do more, but it is
difficult. Glad to hear that it worked for you. Maybe you'll be my
inspiration.

Huh - the above post by Katherine hasn't shown up on my computer. This
happens a lot... one or two posts just don't get d/l. Grump.

Shelagh

Old October 19th 04, 05:34 PM
Susana

"Katherine" wrote in message ...
The Other Kim wrote:
snip

I started with FlyLady and in a matter of a couple days of 15-minute
clean ups the family room looked about 1000% better.

I have started with FlyLady, too, but so far all I have gotten is guilt. I
have managed a couple of minor things, and hope to do more, but it is
difficult. Glad to hear that it worked for you. Maybe you'll be my
inspiration.

Katherine

I read about FlyLady in a Dear Abby column. I checked out the website
and signed up for the emails. It seemed a like a really good idea
because of the "baby steps" it says to take. I liked it but with all
the email reminders I got, it made me feel overwhelmed. On my good
days I still take those baby steps, though. She also has a book out,
which Dear Abby recommended, I'm hoping to look into that soon.

Who knew that keeping a place clean and yourself organized could be so
hard (well, at least for me)!

Susana