Paper Piecing

Old January 3rd 04, 06:10 PM
Cheryl

Default Paper Piecing

Converting Traditional Pattern to a paper Piece project. Is it
possible? Are there limitations?

I really enjoy paper piecing and have a Folk Art 11 Robyn Pandolph
pattern that I want to get started on but I want to paper piece it so
that the points are exact. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my first attempt at posting a question. Actually I posted
this question yesterday but it must have gone to planet Zandar!! haha

Thanks
Cheryl
Old January 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Pati Cook

Cheryl it is possible to convert a pattern to paper piecing, as long as
the seams are all straight. (Actually you can pp curves but that is a
whole 'nother story.)
First break it into sections. then start numbering the parts of each
section. I am not good at explaining this part, because it is just an
intuitive logical process for me. I don't do it much, but I can see how
it can be done, sort of like a puzzle in reverse.
There was a multipart article in several months of Quilter's Newsletter
Mag that dealt with pp and some of it was just on this topic. The
articles were written by "our own" Carol Doak, and are wonderful.
Not sure this will help at all, but hope so. If you could let us know
where to find a picture of the block in question it would help a lot.

And welcome to RCTQ too. Tell us a little more about yourself.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 3rd 04, 08:40 PM
ESTELLE GALLAGHER

The posts are often not seen by you but out there someone sees them. Sounds
quite spookey doesnt it!!lol Estelle
om...

Old January 3rd 04, 08:50 PM
Julia Altshuler

I got the question yesterday. Maybe the answers are showing up on Zandar?

Here's my answer from yesterday. I looked for a picture of the pattern
you're making so I could direct you on how to convert it to paper
piecing. I couldn't find it on the web. Direct me to a picture, and
I'll have a look.

Some patterns lend themselves to paper piecing better than others. With
some, the paper is hardly worth it. Without seeing the pattern, the
best I can do is to tell you to start by drawing the pattern full-size
on paper (I use a ruler and graph paper) without worrying about seam
allowances. Look for a X shapes. Those are shapes don't paper piece
well, or they paper piece in 2 pieces. You do one side of the X first,
cut out with seam allowance and then do the other side.

--Lia

Old January 3rd 04, 09:28 PM
Butterfly

DON'T forget the seam allowance!!!!!!!!!
did that converting with a Barn--------looked ohhhhhhhhh so nice-------took
a pix of it with the digital--put it on the compie and low and behold was it
WACKY. Didn't notice it in 'reality' (Must say that the digital camera has
more than paid for itself. Now I use it all the time in my quilting.)
So, it was back to the drawing board. Was worth it in the long run--didn't
have a bit of appliqué in it like the original pattern called for..and teh
grass ended up with more 'movement' than the original design. Who me folow a
pattern? ((Tried that once recently--it's all cut out one block sewn and
there it sits......doesn't have a deadline--just needs a LOT of
concentration which I do NOT have right now. It'll come--and it will be
finished : )
Butterfly

Old January 3rd 04, 10:11 PM
Julia Altshuler

Butterfly wrote:
DON'T forget the seam allowance!

Right. Don't forget the seam allowance, but that comes later when
you're piecing. At the moment, the question is about converting the
pattern. With paper piecing, the pattern is drawn without seam
allowance. The seam allowance goes on later when the fabric is sewn to
it. (And, I might add, this is one of the beauties of paper piecing.
In addition to getting those perfect points, one needn't worry about all
the math and formulas and measuring for seam allowances. Instead, you
just overestimate and trim off the extra.)

Cheryl-- Get us a picture or describe the pattern. This is driving me nuts.

--Lia

Old January 4th 04, 06:06 AM
Cheryl

Julia Altshuler wrote in message news:36HJb.50078$I07.157573@attbi_s53...
Butterfly wrote:
DON'T forget the seam allowance!

Right. Don't forget the seam allowance, but that comes later when
you're piecing. At the moment, the question is about converting the
pattern. With paper piecing, the pattern is drawn without seam
allowance. The seam allowance goes on later when the fabric is sewn to
it. (And, I might add, this is one of the beauties of paper piecing.
In addition to getting those perfect points, one needn't worry about all
the math and formulas and measuring for seam allowances. Instead, you
just overestimate and trim off the extra.)

Cheryl-- Get us a picture or describe the pattern. This is driving me nuts.

--Lia

Wow I am shocked at the response thanks to all of you. It took me a
little looking to find the pattern on the web (I don't have a digital
camera) I found a great little site under Moda Fabrics. The actual
pattern I am trying to concert is called Fold Art Christmas 111 and is
one of the archieved patterns. So try it out and let me know.
http://www.unitednotions.com/folk_art_christmas_III.pdf

Thanks again
Old January 4th 04, 06:19 AM
Cheryl

Cheryl wrote:

Converting Traditional Pattern to a paper Piece project. Is it
possible? Are there limitations?

I really enjoy paper piecing and have a Folk Art 11 Robyn Pandolph
pattern that I want to get started on but I want to paper piece it so
that the points are exact. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my first attempt at posting a question. Actually I posted
this question yesterday but it must have gone to planet Zandar!! haha

Thanks
Cheryl

You want to know a little about myself.....where does one begin. I
guess at quilting. Started quilting in 1991 (therapy when my dad
passed away) it became a passion very quickly. Love it all and have
managed to complete all the projects that I start. I am usually
working on three or four at one time.

I live in Calgary Alberta, this is the city of the Greatest Outdoor
Show on Earth. Because of the cowboy influence there is a fair amount
of Country Dancing. I love two stepping as much as quilting. I work
full time in a dental office. My kids are 26 and 28 and I am having a
BIG 50th birthday this summer. This is the short version of a
complicated but good life.

Wish I was in Phoenix tonight we are expecting -40 degrees with the
wind chill factor.

Cheryl
Old January 4th 04, 06:53 AM
Sharon Harper

What a gorgeous pattern! Good luck!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

om...

Old January 4th 04, 10:58 AM
Roberta Zollner

Think of the stars as a 9-patch. You can pp the center square plus 2 of the
middle patches as 1 unit (except you'll have to sew together 2 triangles
before attaching them to the ends). Then you need to pp the other 6 patches
separately before assembling the whole block. Add the corner triangles
afterwards. (Make these a bit larger than needed and sew on with the pieced
side on top so you follow the precise seam line. Then you can trim the
finished block to the correct size.)

However, I'd personally do it without pp.
Roberta in D

om...

Butterfly wrote:
[...]

**AD: New Layout Paper Piecing Artemis Marketplace 0 April 5th 04 12:44 PM
Paper Piecing Cheryl Quilting 2 January 3rd 04 08:09 AM
paper piecing CNYstitcher Quilting 1 November 17th 03 04:49 PM
paper piecing tip Leafyeb Quilting 8 October 19th 03 08:15 PM
paper piecing questions Elizabeth Young Quilting 30 September 3rd 03 04:17 AM