VERY OT International traveling???

Old July 6th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Default water quality/taste..... VERY OT International traveling???

I don't like to drink our tap water, partly because of the plumbing
pipes in our house... Which are old and rusty. sigh. (good way to get
extra iron in your diet though. G)
We have very hard water, and it tastes bad too. I cook with it, and wash
with it... but it can show that too. For drinking we finally invested in
a cooled water dispenser and bottled water. I am drinking a lot more
water and less soda. DH also noticed a difference in his cool tea. G

Pati, in Phx

Taria wrote:
DS in San Diego has water that is really bad. Dad in south OC has bad
tasting water but not nearly as bad as SD. I think they get their water
from the colorado river and/or the aqueduct. They really don't have any
of their own. Water in San Bernardino was really hard. It is local, in
fact the Arrowhead water is local spring water that you buy bottled.
Our water is pretty soft and tastes pretty good here in the desert. I
would imagine depending on the municipality there is a whole gamut of
different qualities. We do get a report of quality annually.
So glad to have you back Pam. Welcome home!
Taria

Dragonfly wrote:
I find the tap water in southern California to taste "odd" -- and I
lived there for about six months! But especially coming from
Washington, where there are very few minerals in the tap water, the
stronger taste of the CA water was off-putting. When the kids and I
went to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm for a week in 1997, we did
the same thing TiaMary mentions -- I'd fill up the ice bucket at
night, and pour the melted (filtered) water into our water bottles the
next morning! I'd also try to fill the ice bucket before we left for
the day so we'd have some good water to drink when we got back from
our day in the heat. Ice machines that use filtered water are your
friends. :-)

Dragonfly (Pam)

Old July 6th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default VERY OT International traveling???

On Jul 3, 12:08*pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
It seems I am going to have the opportunity to do some traveling- I've never
been outside the USA except for a short way across the border into Mexico..
And I've only flown about 5 times and never even had to catch a connecting
flight. *I've never ridden in a taxi or public transportation. *I need to
know what to do??? *How do I find a curling iron that will work no matter
where I go? *Can I take an aerosol can of hairspray? *How do people pack
what they need without going over the weight limits? *Is cotton clothing the
best or too wrinkly? *How do you pack clothing so it doesn't look like you
slept in it???

Help!

Leslie- applied for my passport and now I'm lost! & The Furbabies in MO.

Leslie,
Congrats on the 'happy accident' and your upcoming travels! It's been
decades but I personally loved France and Germany! Enough English to
go around (and German is very similar to English at least as far as
being able to figure out what's what).

As to cell phones when travelling...I have been working in the
telephony field for the last several years. Mostly US and 'big
business' private systems but also a fair amount of cell dealings.
The folks I've worked with that were doing international travel swear
by Nextel of all carriers. They seem to have the best infrastructure
internationally and will work virtually anywhere. They have merged
with Sprint in the last several years and the two companies are NOT
the same internationally. You can probably get a 'rental' phone at
whichever airport you are departing from if not the cell provider
themselves. No clue on rates. As others have suggested, check with
your current, local provider first. You might be happily surprised.
Your phone will need to be 'international capable' otherwise GSM to
begin with. FWIW, most cell providers are now recommending you
upgrade your phone every couple of years due to technology changes.
Since most provider's plans let you do this anyhow there's usually not
a cost involved unless you're into tech toys and need the ones w/all
the bells & whistles.

Have a great trip! Getting a babysitter for the Furbabies or are they
going to camp?

Kim in NJ
Old July 6th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default water & quilting VERY OT International traveling???

Howdy!

Quite a few people drink distilled water,
all over the world, and many countries have it
available for sale to the public. ;-)
http://www.durastill.com/myths.html

I'd rather spend the money on quilting, but then,
I'm weird that way. g Thank goodness we have
good drinking water in most of the U.S..

http://www.annfahl.com/ann2/gallery2.php?category=lily

Cheers!
R/Sandy

On 7/6/08 1:52 PM, in article ,
"Pauline" wrote:

Yes, that's how bad rumors get started. Glad I'm not the only one who
thought that was a little strange.

Pauline
Northern California

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Uh, Jack, the distilled water is for batteries and irons!! No one drinks
it!
PAT in VA/USA, wondering here these ideas surface!!

Old July 6th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly

Thanks, it's good to be here. :-)

BTW, water at my house tastes better than at my mom's house, 3 miles away.
Either we're on different wells (possible; there are 17 in this town), or
her older house has more mineral build-up in the pipes, affecting the taste
of the water.

Dragonfly (Pam)

Dragonfly wrote:
I find the tap water in southern California to taste "odd" -- and I lived
there for about six months! But especially coming from Washington, where
there are very few minerals in the tap water, the stronger taste of the
CA water was off-putting. When the kids and I went to Disneyland and
Knott's Berry Farm for a week in 1997, we did the same thing TiaMary
mentions -- I'd fill up the ice bucket at night, and pour the melted
(filtered) water into our water bottles the next morning! I'd also try to
fill the ice bucket before we left for the day so we'd have some good
water to drink when we got back from our day in the heat. Ice machines
that use filtered water are your friends. :-)

Dragonfly (Pam)

"Tia Mary" wrote in message

....snipped...

-- definitely a case of "better safe than sorry" time. Personally, I
would rather pay the $$ for bottled water than take a chance with my
"lower intestinal" tract :-). Actually, I don't buy much water, I just
fill up the ice bucket (assuming the ice is good) and let it melt then
drink THAT. I usually keep an empty water or soda bottle handy and pour
the melted ice water into it. I'm not too frugal, now am I -- LOLOL
?!?!? CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old July 7th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/distill.htm
explains how distillation works.

http://www.jbwaterdistillers.com/faq/
lots of info about water generallly.
even a 'mac guyver' way to make your own when you make on
the survivor tv show, lol.

http://www.seanmichaelragan.com/html...illation.shtml
for the real diy'rs among us, make your own essential oils.
who'da'thunk!!!

chill'n out (literally) in the south pacific,
j.

Old July 7th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

feed your plants.
http://www.submersibledesign.com/drinkpee/diy.html
hey, its just recycling, good for the whole planet.
j.

"nzlstar*" wrote...

Old July 7th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Just a question; won't those filter things that they sell to
hikers/campers work? They say that it filters out giardia (sp), so
that you can safely drink stream/river water.
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 11:00:28 -0400, "Pat in Virginia"
wrote:

Uh, Jack, the distilled water is for batteries and irons!! No one drinks it!
PAT in VA/USA, wondering here these ideas surface!!

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I suspect that no other developed country has water as bad as the US,
on a national scale. There's nowhere else that you can find distilled
water on sale in supermarkets. The idea that you might want it seems
just crazy this side of the pond.

Old July 11th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

Bottled water IS very popular in the US. I live in a rural area with a lot
of iron in the water- use a special filter so my laundry doesn't turn
orange, and a pitcher with a taste & odor filter for drinking. The water is
potable, just doesn't taste very good some of the time. I only buy distilled
for my steam iron, but I do buy bottled filtered water to carry on trips.
Having well water at home I find the chlorine in city water unpleasant. My
town sister buys distilled for her C-pap that she uses for sleep apnea. I
don't think I've ever gotten sick from tap water in the US.
Jane in NE Ohio

More often it's what it tastes like that's the problem. Most tapwater
in south-east England is horrible.

I suspect that no other developed country has water as bad as the US,
on a national scale. There's nowhere else that you can find distilled
water on sale in supermarkets. The idea that you might want it seems
just crazy this side of the pond.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk

How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] Quilting 0 June 2nd 05 08:01 AM
Traveling with Projects Kim McAnnally Needlework 24 February 22nd 05 02:15 AM
OT-traveling with grandson CHEX Yarn 8 January 30th 05 12:15 PM
traveling Judy Rubberstamps 0 June 9th 04 12:13 PM
ot traveling embroideries Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 May 20th 04 12:09 PM