Best Tip or Hint

Old June 26th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default Best Tip or Hint

I now have 2 office chairs for my sewing areas. One is set up high
for using my 1500 on the dining room table (a friend made a raised
platform for a foot rest - I like to use my heel to control the foot
pedal) - otherwise, I can't reach the floor. The other is in the
sewing room and I chose a mesh backed one so that the air circulating
from the fan will reach through the chair back - it works! jennellh

On Jun 26, 10:42*am, John wrote:
On Jun 26, 12:11*am, jennellh wrote:

I guess that this means either well-used or newly acquired helpful
hint that you might have found useful in your quilty life!

I was reading a page of hints on one of the bunnyhop pages recently -
this hint stood out! *I have always had a problem with threads
strangling the vacuum beater bar - the tip was to use a stiff bristle
bathroom brush to pick up loose threads from carpet. *I am now
thinking of the 99cent brushes with stand as sold at Ikea - I have a
lime green one already in the bathroom and will probably pick up
another for sewing room use. *It isn't that often that I have room to
manouever the vacuum in the sewing room so this idea hold merit.

What's your best tip/hint? *jennellh

One of the best things I have done to make sewing easier is not fancy
wooden cabinets, or tables or trick notions or any other "helpful
hints", type of items. It was the purchase of an adjustable commercial
sewing chair from a commercial sewing supply store. It makes sense if
you think about it. People who sew for pay for 8 hours a day can only
do so if they are comfortable and this chair, a "Reliable" brand
chair, is adjustable in about any way you would need to make it, to
make your sewing experience pleasant. I now don't get those upper back
and lower back pains like I use to with whatever chair I was using at
the time. They are a expensive, but pay you back with an easy sewing
experience. I like all those notions also, but this chair is a winner,
and makes the difference between comfort and pain.

John

Old June 27th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Always pre-wash your fabric and save yourself hours of grief down the road.
Who knows for sure what is and isn't going to run, etc., and why torture
yourself with that after the quilt is already made?

Trixie

Old June 27th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

Recently I heard somewhere that you could put clear vinyl on the back of
your rulers to keep them from slipping. I got the thinnest, cheapest stuff
from Wal-mart, cut it to fit my rulers...and it works great! Static cling
holds it in place.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old June 27th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

with a name like yours, Polly Esther,
i'd thot for sure you'd be hootchie mama.
go figure, )
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote...
I wear my threads. When I'm quilting, my usual tasteful
ensemble begins with a t-shirt, plaid flannel or
sweatshirt.
Cut threads cling quite handily to them so I just plop the
stray threads on my shoulder. None of that Hootchie Mama
spandex or crisp linen worn in here. When I happen to
pass a mirror or get so hairy that Yogi complains, they're
easy to swipe off and toss in the trash. Polly

"jennellh" wrote, in part I have always had a problem

Old June 27th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

I have also used pressn'seal when I ran out of 'Invisigrip' - worked
well except that the printing was a bother. jennellh

On Jun 26, 8:34*pm, "Alice" wrote:
[...]

What's your best tip/hint? *jennellh- Hide quoted text -

Old June 29th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Butterfly:
Please send me an email and tell me more about this 'lock.' I have a Pfaff
but am not sure if she includes that. Also, I inadvertently deleted about
half of the address file, including the first portion of alphabet, so I lost
your email address. If you send email, I can put you back on file. Thanks!!

--
Pat in Virginia/USA

"Butterflywings" wrote in message
Pfobe has a 'lock' that you can put onto any stitch. Won't go off until
you shut it off.

Butterlfy (Now to REMEMBER to use it--had only put a note by the SM when I
did use it)