What kind of batting do you use?

Old February 14th 14, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich[_2_]

Default What kind of batting do you use?

With the bitter cold we are experiencing in most of the US right now,
it's been a good time to "test" all those quilts we've made. Big
disappointment for me. With one exception, I've always used Warm and
Natural needled cotton. I like it because it can be quilted up to 10
inches apart. But I don't like the thinness or its drape, and now have
discovered there is NO warmth to it at all; like sleeping under a
sheet. So I'm gonna change, especially for quilts used for wrapping me
in. But to what, in order to get at least a bit of loft, nice drape
(hang), and WARMTH. I know I'll have to give up the 10 inch quilting
but that's ok as long as I can still get about 6 inches apart. What
do you use or recommend?

KT. in MI

Old February 14th 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:42:37 -0500, KT in Mich wrote:

With the bitter cold we are experiencing in most of the US right now,
it's been a good time to "test" all those quilts we've made. Big
disappointment for me. With one exception, I've always used Warm and
Natural needled cotton. I like it because it can be quilted up to 10
inches apart. But I don't like the thinness or its drape, and now have
discovered there is NO warmth to it at all; like sleeping under a sheet.
So I'm gonna change, especially for quilts used for wrapping me in. But
to what, in order to get at least a bit of loft, nice drape (hang), and
WARMTH. I know I'll have to give up the 10 inch quilting but that's ok
as long as I can still get about 6 inches apart. What do you use or
recommend?

Well now. I live a bit south of Buffalo NY, and in this part of the
world we know from cold. I'm surprised that you haven't regularly been
living the minus 10 lifestyle up there in Michigan, I've never thought of
you guys being warmer than us'ns.

I generally make warm quilts and less warm quilts and we rotate them
seasonally. I use various sorts of batting depending on how warm the
quilt is intended to be, and what I am doing with it.
The coolest quilts have Hobbes cotton batting and a cotton cloth backing.
the warmest ones have Hobbes wool batting, and flannel backing.
I do use warm and natural, and find it warmer than the Hobbes cotton.
I have used a layer or two of Hobbes Thermore on some quilts. Generally
for people who cannot have a heavy quilt for some reason, most often
small children or the elderly, it is good and warm.
In natural fibers it is hard to beat wool for warmth.
I absolutely hate polyester, but it is very warm.

I do not hesitate to make wool topped quilts when I have the scrap for
them. It makes a difference in warmth. The cloth is expensive, which is
why I just use the scrap for quilts.

I was recently given a box of worn out wool sweaters that somebody
thought I could use.
They saw this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/12389337...r-coat-merino-
lambs?ref=related-1
and thought of their sweaters and me.
I may try my hand at such piecing, I may not. However the worn, frayed
and generally otherwise unusable bits will certainly be felted together
with an eye to batting a small quilt. I will also throw in the odd bits
leftover from spinning as well. I should probably get enough for a lap
or crib sized quilt out of the whole lot. I may make a coat instead,
depending.

Our house is heated with gas, but a good many friends and relatives have
wood stoves, one is still heating from a coal hole that has been in the
family for some generations. So good warm bedding is critical. Single
stove heating makes for a warm center of the house, but the bedrooms will
be more than a little chilly.

NightMist

Old February 14th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Jeepers! I buy Warm & Natural by the bolt when Joann has it 50% off... and that's all I use. Quilts made with it are heavy to lift and I find them to be very warm. I admit- I wash the batting in hot water and a hot dryer before using it in quilts (I pre-wash my fabrics, so this step was originally intended to eliminate shrinkage in both fabric and batting). That pre-shrinking may make my W&N batting more dense as it shrinks???

I, also, made un-quilted window coverings for the coldest winter and hottest summer months. I used insulated drapery lining, Warm & Natural and cotton fabric and used the pillow turn method to sew the layers together leaving an opening at both ends of the top to insert a tension-type curtain rod. The rod holds the 'blinds' inside the window frame about an inch from the glass. They are quick and simple to make and made a HUGE difference in my utility bills plus eliminated all the cold drafts. I own a 125 year old Victorian cottage with many large tall windows and 11 ft. ceilings. I *needed* the extra insulation on the windows even tho I dislike living like a mushroom in the dark. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. where the snow and ice is finally melting in 45 degree rain

Old February 14th 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 2/14/2014 10:54 AM, NightMist wrote:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/12389337...r-coat-merino-
lambs?ref=related-1

I made this jacket from felted sweaters last year.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4999411658564&set=a.1283029991345.2 038579.1097952730&type=3&theater
and
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4999411658564&set=a.1283029991345.2 038579.1097952730&type=3&theater
(This facebook album is public so you should be able to see it even if
you're not on facebook)

I made it in a community ed class. The pattern we used is at
http://gailpatrice.com/2011/12/14/collage-it-minnesota-style/

Julia in MN
Old February 14th 14, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich[_2_]

"NightMist" wrote in message

Well now. I live a bit south of Buffalo NY, and in this part of the
world we know from cold. I'm surprised that you haven't regularly
been
living the minus 10 lifestyle up there in Michigan, I've never
thought of
you guys being warmer than us'ns.

the warmest ones have Hobbes wool batting, and flannel backing.
I do use warm and natural, and find it warmer than the Hobbes
cotton.

NightMist: Yeppers it's pretty cold here too. Today is the first day
in 6 weeks that has hit 30 degrees! Mostly temps in the tens and
below zero. We have about 4-5 feet of snow that has been on the
ground since before Thanksgiving. But I think you east coasters have
had a lot more snow and bad weather than we have up here in northern
MI this year.

I've considered wool batting but am concerned about users with
allergies to wool. Or maybe it's been treated to be hypo-allergenic?
If that's a problem, I'll try polyester on a small quilt and see how
that works. Thanks for your ideas.

KT.

Old February 14th 14, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich[_2_]

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in
message ...
[...]

----------

Thanks Leslie, I'm going to try hot-washing and drying W&N next quilt
to see if that doesn't puff and warm it up.
Love your ideas for window coverings!

KT.

Old February 14th 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I've never much liked working with or the result of warm and natural.
I have a Hobbs wool bat that is waiting to be used. Maybe someone
has some feedback on that. We use a down comforter in addition to
a quilt or two. Most of my quilts now have Hobb's 80/20. I think you
would get a warmer quilt with more quilting on any bat you use.
It is about 83 out here today. I am in the high desert of So.Cal. and
it usually is in the 60's for the high this time of year. Today we have
shorts on. This is crazy.
Taria

Old February 15th 14, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich[_2_]

Thanks Taria. Next trip into town I'll pick up some Hobbs wool to try
on a small quilt. And some Hobbs 80/20 for comparison.
You just have to rub it in with the 83 you've got in So. Cal, huh?
;-) Sure hope we get that kind of temp this summer. Last summer it
was very mild, mostly in the 70s (which I love) but 80s is much better
for swimming and boating.

KT.

Old February 15th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I am a fan of regular 80/20 batting.
If something is not warm enough, I usually layer, because my own body temp can change so rapidly. What is comfortable now isn't, in 10 minutes. I am trying to work on a flimsy for my bed, that will have no batting at all. In the winters it will cover the extra blankets on the bed.

Ginger in CA
[whoo-hoo! hoping this goes through!

Old February 15th 14, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I see you Ginger! Where you been hiding? Bet you are warm over on the
coast too. I am worried we are all
going to cook this summer! All the trees and plants are really confused.
Glad to 'see' you.
Taria

"KT in Mich" wrote in message ...

With the bitter cold we are experiencing in most of the US right now,

it's been a good time to "test" all those quilts we've made. Big

disappointment for me. With one exception, I've always used Warm and

Natural needled cotton. I like it because it can be quilted up to 10

inches apart. But I don't like the thinness or its drape, and now have

discovered there is NO warmth to it at all; like sleeping under a

sheet. So I'm gonna change, especially for quilts used for wrapping me

in. But to what, in order to get at least a bit of loft, nice drape

(hang), and WARMTH. I know I'll have to give up the 10 inch quilting

but that's ok as long as I can still get about 6 inches apart. What

do you use or recommend?

KT. in MI

Bamboo Batting - Soy Batting - pros and cons please DiMa Quilting 6 October 14th 08 09:01 AM
I'm kind new here. Donna Baliva Yarn 3 December 6th 06 09:05 PM
thanks for the kind welcome wendy Quilting 3 May 6th 05 03:10 PM
Kind-of-ad: Charlie Beads 2 June 14th 04 08:13 PM
OT well kind of. LOL Harry Beads 3 February 18th 04 12:40 AM