OT-E Book reader ??

Old May 31st 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default OT-E Book reader ??

Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

Lucille

Old May 31st 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"lucille" wrote in message
Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

Lucille

My young BIL brought his to show me - I`m glad he did, as I`ve been
wondering about getting one myself. Now I know that I DON`T want one - I
much prefer a real book!

Pat

Old May 31st 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Pat P" wrote in message

"lucille" wrote in message
Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

Lucille

My young BIL brought his to show me - I`m glad he did, as I`ve been
wondering about getting one myself. Now I know that I DON`T want one - I
much prefer a real book!

Pat

That's what I've been thinking. I know they have a Sony at Staples and I
think I'll take my friend there to look at it. Her son wants to buy her one
and she isn't sure if she really wants it.

Old May 31st 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"lucille" wrote
Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

I think if I were going that route, I would get an iPhone and dowload a
bookreading app. I am enough of a traditionalist that when I am at home, I
want to be holding a real book and turning the pages (not to mention my
propensity for reading in the bath--I would drown a Kindle). When I walk
the dog, I do e-Books on an MP3 player. So I would use a reader when I am
travelling, sitting in waiting rooms, in line-ups etc. Except for the
travelling this would be more or less spur of the moment, and an iPhone
would give the possiblity of reading anytime anywhere, whereas a dedicated
reader you need to deliberately carry along.

Dawne

Old May 31st 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucille wrote:
Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

Lucille

Lucille,

I bought Jim the Kindle2 for his birthday as a surprise. He had to wait
a couple of days until it was released; yup he was REALLY surprised when
the new gift arrived.

He absolutely LOVES it!! You can download so much stuff, virtually
instantaneously, for little or no cost.

He subscribes to a couple of magazines, and the Orlando Sentinel; he
comes downstairs for "cocktail" hour before dinner, and sits and browses
his newspaper. It has lots of advantages; you can adjust the size print,
it is lightweight; he has some technical manuals in it, so he doesn't
have to carry the books along when he travels. It is very lightweight,
and he always takes it with him for doctor's appointments etc, and sits
and reads it in the waiting room.

He has downloaded the new Cooks Illustrated book that has just come out,
so passes it over to me to read.

He also downloaded an embroidery book from the late 1800s, with pictures.

For, me, I like the feel of a regular paper book for novels, but I can
see why the thing is so handy.

It would have been a godsend when I was young and taking exams. In many
of the Chemistry exams, you were allowed to take the textbook in....you
just had to know what you were looking for!

Gill
Old May 31st 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"lucille" wrote
Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

I think if I were going that route, I would get an iPhone and dowload a
bookreading app. I am enough of a traditionalist that when I am at home,
I want to be holding a real book and turning the pages (not to mention my
propensity for reading in the bath--I would drown a Kindle). When I walk
the dog, I do e-Books on an MP3 player. So I would use a reader when I am
travelling, sitting in waiting rooms, in line-ups etc. Except for the
travelling this would be more or less spur of the moment, and an iPhone
would give the possiblity of reading anytime anywhere, whereas a dedicated
reader you need to deliberately carry along.

Dawne

I'll share the info about the iPhone and just downloading a book at a time
for reading. I recently bought a mini netbook and that would probably hold
a book if I wanted to do that.

I'm with you, I love the feel of a book and the smell of a book. Plus,
there's always the possibility of dropping it into something wet in the
john, which is one of my favorite reading areas..

Just for fun, I weighed a paperback with around 650 pages on an old postal
scale I have and it came up 10 oz., which is what the Kindle 2 weighs, so
why bother.

Lucille

Old May 31st 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

[...]

I also can't wait to tell her that I already got a couple of very useful
answers on my favorite newsgroup. Where else can one go for so many brains
to pick.

Lucille

Old May 31st 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucille wrote:

[...]

Just for fun I also had weighed Jim's Kindle 2 on my postal scale. It
weighs 10 ounces, measures 8 x 5 1/2" and is 1/4" inch deep. It holds
literally hundreds of books.

I mostly read in bed at night, and DO like a real book! I have
accidentally "bought" a couple of books when playing with the machine!

Gill
Old May 31st 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
lucille wrote:

[...]

I think I could really see wanting it if you need to have a lot of technical
info at your fingertips, but for novels, not so important. I rarely read
anything now that I would feel was important enough to keep forever. Most
of my reading is fiction and I suppose a reading snob would call it "trash."

I have to look into whether or not my little netbook would hold a whole
book. That's light enough to schlep with me for traveling or waiting rooms.

Lucille

Old June 1st 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

lucille wrote:
Does anyone use a Kindle or a Sony E Book Reader? My friend was asking
about one and I have never given it much thought before.

I have played with a Kindle, and while I think there
are some shortcomings, I want one really, really badly. I have
a *bad* reading habit--typically at least 2 novels a week, plus
more technical reading. I have at least a dozen tall bookshelves
totally full, and teetering stacks of books all over the place.
I get very attached to my books, and though I do get rid of
some books (obsolete technical books, read-once-and-move-on
novels), I'm still amassing books at far too rapid a pace.
It would be a great help to be able to have my books taking up
a lot less space, and it would be great to be able to tote
them around with me so easily (particularly technical references).
I'm often hauling around several books, which gets old. And
frankly even though the Kindle is pricey, it's not as pricey
as buying the additional bookcases I need!
There are still books I would buy in book form,
particularly things where illustrations or color were
important or books that were just particularly nice to handle.
But, for the average novel, I'd be more than happy to have
it in ebook form instead of taking up space on my bookshelves.
I would also like to have my newspaper delivered to my reader
instead of having the paper show up at my door every day and
then get taken out for recycling each week.
I found it very comfortable to read on the Kindle
(not at all like reading a computer screen). It may weigh
about the same as a paperback, but I'm usually toting around
multiple books, so it's definitely a win for me weight-wise
(even the bigger one coming out this summer)! And, of course,
I'm out a lot taking kids places and whatnot, so I'm thrilled
with the ability to acquire another book wherever and whenever
I find myself finishing the last book (and not having to go
through my computer to do it). Oh, and although I don't really
like being read to, I'd be thrilled to be able to have it
read to me when I'm at that critical juncture in the plot and
the rehearsal has just ended and I have to stop reading
and run! ;-)

So, anyway, one way or another I'm going to find myself
in possession of a new Kindle either by my birthday or Christmas.
I'm definitely looking forward to it! Everyone I know who has
one loves it, though it is by no means perfect. There are
design decisions I'm less than thrilled with, but the core
functionality seems to work well.

Best wishes,
Ericka

For Sale: Janome / Kenmore Sewing & EMBROIDERY Machine 19001 w/ Reader / Writer box SewFunSewCrazy Sewing 14 May 3rd 20 03:00 AM
testing new reader Kiteflyer Quilting 3 September 18th 08 04:34 AM
Newsgroups Reader? [email protected] Quilting 8 May 24th 08 03:20 PM
OT News Reader Heidi B Quilting 10 May 4th 08 03:53 PM
OT/Testing new ng reader. Richard Williams Yarn 17 July 15th 04 03:37 AM