A Test: Political & Social Compass

Old January 9th 04, 09:47 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Nancy Scott wrote:
It seemed to have a lot of questions that were stated in such a way to
"push" the answerer left/anti-authoritarian. I would love to have my old
poli-sci statistics professor go through the questions and do a bias
analysis. It would be very interesting. Given th politician that it placed
my answers closest to (Gerhart Schroeder), I hope it wasn't accurate.

I agree, and would be extremely interested if anyone can point out major
flaws in thinking on this. I read quite a bit more on their site late
yesterday, including the "kudos".

My husband and I were very close, I was a bit further left, but we were
on the same libertarian line. There's only one or two issues which
separate us, so the results tended to make me believe it's fairly accurate.

Since I'm not someone with credentials, however, I'll just look at it
with intrigue and hope that it opens up conversation and self analysis.

Dianne

Old January 9th 04, 09:52 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Did you read the FAQ's page, Meredith? Did that answer any of your
concerns?

I think that, on a personal level, if you are doing your level best to
answer ALL questions as truthfully as possible, it could enlighten you
on your belief system. No matter where the questions or answers are
placed. I went into this in this manner.

Do I think it's probably perfect? Nah. But it does give you reason to
think hard. That's always a positive result. I came out left of Ghandi
and Mandela. I was pleased to see that, of course, but I didn't realize
I was THAT left! g And I had personally hoped I'd be more centered in
the libertarian area. huge grin
Dianne

Meredith wrote:

The structure of a questionnaire/test definitely has an effect upon the
results. I'm in grad school right now and have studied this in at least
two classes. If you want to see more divided results, you don't give a
neutral answer choice. Having the positive or negative choice first in
the list also makes a difference, as does the order of questions. A
general rule of thumb is to put the questions that people are least
likely to answer at the end of the questionnaire because they tend to
stop upon encountering such a question, and so on.

As Mirjam said, "Do you really believe that any test , on political
isues , or even political placing , can be tottaly Objective???"
It's impossible to write one that's completely unbiased.

Meredith

mondaymorning wrote:

I went to the site and took the test. I felt that the some of the
questions
were not worded in a way that answers could be given correctly. One
example
was: Mothers may have careers but their first duty is to be
homemakers. One
was to answer agree or disagree. I don't think anyone's first duty is
to be
a homemaker but I sure do think anyone who is a Mother has a duty to put
that job first. Being a homemaker and a Mother are not the same thing.

There were many other questions which presented the same dilemma.
So I got fixed in a position....but was it accurate? I don't think so.

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message

A few months back, someone posted a site with a test to see where you
were at on the political scale: right or left.

The following site does this a little better, has some interesting
statements to make about social and economic "visions", past and current
global leaders and where they are in the spector.

For those interested in this issue, take the test and read the
documentation. I found it fascinating. The questions intriguing, and
often times difficult to answer.

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...ass/index.html

Old January 9th 04, 10:22 PM
Meredith

Concerns? I didn't post because of that. Several people had remarked
about possible bias, and since I have studied this somewhat, I figured
I'd respond. I don't care about the content - my point is that every
type of test/questionnaire is biased in some form or another.

Meredith

Old January 9th 04, 11:57 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dianne i am sorry if my questions were not clear enough, my question
still stands , Why does one need a test ? or questionaire , to tell
one which political side one is ,,,,,,
The question was not if you pondered longer or shorter about some of
the terms ,, the question was is such a test reliable , and why trust
it`s results.
The Fact that you tell in your other letter that you came , Left Of
Ghandi and Mandella, tells Mountians about the Non objectiviy of the
test, Who said that Ghandi was Left??? he wanted Freedom for his
Country people yes ? he said he wanteed to support his own livelihood
? yes , But he was a Nationalist ,,, which is usually not considered
so left ,,,,
makes one wonder , who and why this test was posted .
mirjam
had trouble with several of the questions. I stood before this
question, with the word "homemaker" and pondered it for a very long
time. Perhaps we don't HAVE a current word? And perhaps the collective
you are redefining it by rejecting what it used to stand for. Or
splitting hairs about the definition. I'm not accusing you of this,
just commiserating about why the question was phrased this way. It
really, really made you think long and hard. But if you stop to think
of it, this country (U.S.) is fractured about this issue. So perhaps it
was worded just right. g
Dianne

mondaymorning wrote:

I don't hate the word "homemaker" at all. I just don't see it the way you
do. My belief is that you may or may not be in the business world and still
be or not be a good mother or homemaker. Homemaker to me implies taking
care of a home. Mother is taking care of child. I see people who are
terrible homemakers but wonderful Mothers and also terrible Mothers but
wonderful homemakers. Everyone is a homemaker in some form unless they are
fortunate enough to be waited on hand and foot.

My problem with the question was that for me, it was two questions in one
which would have been answered differently. I answered it by disregarding
the second part of the question.

I went back to the site after Cheryl's post and did some digging. If
you read the "FAQ's" page, most of this is answered.

Actually, homemaker and mother go hand in hand. You can't do one
without the other. It's the word you hate? Yes, you can put the kid in
day care, hire a housekeeper, see the child between work and bedtime,
and still be a mother and care about your child. But the question made
you stop and think. The FAQ page answers some of this.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but either you think children come first
above all else and you stay with them (homemaker) or you slightly agree,
or slightly disagree or strongly favor one side or the other. If you
are being forced to work because of economic times, that won't change
your opinion on how you feel it SHOULD be done. Feminists are equating
work with freedom, and in my personal opinion, that's rather upside down
thinking.

I'm going back there today to read a few other pages which I just
glossed over yesterday. As the site says: this will get dialogue
going, which is so important. I was SHOCKED to see Dean just to the
left of Bush. Who fared as a libertarian-left? Kucinich! I'll have to
dig further. grin
Dianne

Old January 10th 04, 12:03 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Meredith for understanding my exact point ,
mirjam

Old January 10th 04, 12:41 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Thanks, Tara. I'm now making sense of what people are saying about the
questions. :-)

To Meredith: Thanks for the clarification. I was unsure the "gist" of
your post.
Dianne

Tara D wrote:

In a radio commercial for negotiation skills, I heard this story (no
idea if the story is actually true, it's not listed in Snopes).

Asking the right questions.

Two priests could not refrain from smoking during prayer. They both
wrote a letter to the Pope asking for a ruling on their problem. The
Pope gave his permission to smoke during prayer to one priest, but not
to the other. Why?

One priest asked: May I smoke while I pray? The answer was no. The
other priest posed the question differently: May I pray while I smoke?
The answer was yes.

Tara

Old January 10th 04, 03:53 AM
Gillian Murray

Laughing out loud , no initials here. Heck, Vic, we have known that for
years!!!
Gillian

On the other side of the aisle, but still putting out a friendly paw!!

"animaux" wrote in message
news
Okay, before I take the test I will say openly and with pride that, I am a

full
fledged, card carrying member of the ACLU and firmly on the left side of

the
aisle, as well as being liberal.

Let's see where the test puts me.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:06:41 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

Old January 10th 04, 03:53 AM
Gillian Murray

Cheryl, I must see you next time in NH. You sound very much like the woman I
am!!

I still believe common sense, kindness and courtesy makes the world a
better place!! Of course I am your mother's generation, but the basic tenets
hold true. An organisation isn't needed for that!!

We each earn our place in "society", and we have the option to climb above
it or sink below it.. Not sure if I am making sense, but it is to me. I
guess I am sayong that it is up to each individual to make the best of their
lives.

Gillian

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

American Civil Liberties Union - an interest mix of common sense and
complete lack of sense. Very active in the civil rights movements and in
prisoners rights. I like some of their work and hate other bits.
Cheryl

On 1/9/04 11:22 AM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

Excuse me waht is
ACLU ? mirjam
never heard this , nore read this ,.

compatibility test nimu Glass 2 December 28th 04 04:06 PM
Test post Paulette I. Beads 2 August 14th 04 08:05 PM
knot test of the EDK O J Knots 5 April 27th 04 11:39 PM
OT Story - Driving Test Follies Kandice Seeber Beads 9 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM