Source for thick decorative felt

Old July 17th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Source for thick decorative felt

I'm looking for a source for thick felt I can use to make covers -- or
perhaps cozies -- for personal electronics like digital cameras and
laptops. I think the ideal thickness range is 3/16" - 3/8".

All I have been able to locate on the web are industrial felts, which
are thick but none too attractive. Does anyone have suggestions for a
more craft-oriented source? Ideally the product would look like nice
homemade felt and be available in a range of not-too-perfectly-even
colors (though I could dye it if it comes to that).

Thanks!

/afb

Old July 20th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Olwyn Mary

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:
I agree - it seems that one would be asking for trouble to encase any
electronic gadget in a wool cover, with the real possibility of static
buildup.

Betty in Georgia

"bluet3" wrote in message
s.com...

wrote:

I'm looking for a source for thick felt I can use to make covers -- or
perhaps cozies -- for personal electronics like digital cameras and
laptops. I think the ideal thickness range is 3/16" - 3/8".

All I have been able to locate on the web are industrial felts, which
are thick but none too attractive. Does anyone have suggestions for a
more craft-oriented source? Ideally the product would look like nice
homemade felt and be available in a range of not-too-perfectly-even
colors (though I could dye it if it comes to that).

Thanks!

/afb

wool felt electronics covers - wondering if you need to worry about
static?

Surely it is synthetic fabrics which cause static buildup? I have wool
carpets in my house and never get a static shock, but in my car, which
has nylon carpets, I do get static. Also, with nylon clothing many
people get static cling, but with my silk-lined wool or cotton skirts I
never experience it. Actually, I would be more inclined to worry about
moisture buildup with any fabrics.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 20th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
klh in VA

science teachers were doing electricity charge/discharge experiments
with silk and wool long before there synthetics. whether you get the
spark from a fabric depends on much such as humidity, degree of
friction, etc.

the cases for my digital camera and my notebook are both synthetic with
a thin padding and some fuzzy fabric to the interior. both are
breathable or at least not airtight. they also seem to be relatively
lintfree and i am not sure that felt would have that characteristic.

klh in VA

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:

I agree - it seems that one would be asking for trouble to encase any
electronic gadget in a wool cover, with the real possibility of
static buildup.

Betty in Georgia

"bluet3" wrote in message
s.com...

Old July 20th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Val

I've found that by the time I really look into specialty materials to make
something that I think "I can make cheaper", I usually can't.....and not
usually better either when it comes to a specialty like electronic gear
cases. Just to head you in another direction of thought; if you REALLY want
to make these things with the proper paddings/linings in them. Go to the
thrift stores, you'll find bins of perfectly good and often 'like new'
discarded cases for cameras and laptops, if the reason you're making these
are the cost of new ones. If you want to make these because you want to make
something uniquely special but you need the guts of the case you can always
cannibalize one from the thrift store for, most likely, much less than
purchasing these specialty products. I picked up a video cam case for my
neighbor for $3. Looked like new, would have been over ten times that if
purchased retail. It had all the extra pockets and two kinds of detachable
straps, the one that came with her camera didn't. If you do happen to be in
a very low humidity environment and static is a problem you can get
anti-static electronic sprays and wipes for both your equipment and cases. I
wipe down the OUTSIDE of my cases and plastic zippers, when things get to
snapping and cracking from static, with a dryer sheet. Works quite well.

Just a thought,
Val

newssBvg.7061$Lw.1711@trnddc07...

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:

I agree - it seems that one would be asking for trouble to encase any
electronic gadget in a wool cover, with the real possibility of static
buildup.

Betty in Georgia

"bluet3" wrote in message
s.com...

Old July 24th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Thanks for all your responses!

I'm not too concerned about the static issue -- static is caused by the
contact between two unlike materials, which will happen with any
natural or synthetic fabric. But modern electronic devices are not
especially static sensitive (though the bare internal circuitry is).

So I am seeking natural felt for its unique aesthetic qualities, though
the fact that it is thick and shock-absorbing makes it appropriate for
the task. Thus if anyone else has thoughts on suppliers, they're much
appreciated!

Regards,

/afb

Online Source for Floss Melissa & Doug Smith Needlework 4 April 14th 05 05:15 PM
Working on felt Dawn Alguard Needlework 1 January 5th 05 10:57 PM
Felt Kits was Question - Embroidery Directions Suzanne Needlework 1 November 11th 04 01:15 PM
Felt Art Craft Els van Dam Yarn 4 August 6th 03 07:00 PM
Source for jade Peter W. Rowe Jewelry 0 July 13th 03 06:20 PM