Dead Machine Revived

Old March 1st 04, 05:54 PM

Default Dead Machine Revived

"AAat's right, gave it a little mouth-to-mouth, and it came right
around." snaps suspenders as she relates the tale
My first Singer Futura, which was new in 1976, and which, I thought,
finally died from over-use; I had reluctantly shelved it about 10 years
ago, secretly hoping that if it rested long enough, it would revive.
This machine had a lot of plastic fatigue on the cover parts, cracks,
broken parts, but originally it sewed like a champ.
Couple of years ago, I began stripping parts (feet, throat plates,
spool pin) off, using them on secondhand machines, then sorta forgot the
carcass was still on a shelf.
Mario's recent post on Futuras reminded me of this machine, so I
pulled it out to play with and do some serious stripping. I was in the
middle of removing a part, when I thought,' what the he!!, let me clean
it, and grease the gears', (which had 3 layers of grease in varying
colors--black, antique gold,, and semi-beige) 'and see if I can make it
run', sez I to myself.
The gold grease was solidified around gears, which was a pretty good
clue as to why it quit running. Looked as if my repairman had never
cleaned the old gunk off, just kept adding more, the topmost layer still
being slightly pliable, the bottom layers set up like concrete. Other
than that, my machine was clean beneath, as I used to clean it and have
it serviced regularly.
LO! Dead machine walketh!
This is the last of 3 machines which I opened up, cleaned and greased
within the last 2 days. 2 Futuras, and the Touch-Tronic 2010, which I
am considering gifting to GDD.
Conclusions: most problems are caused by:
1/2 cup of lint and fibers packed densely into the cavity beneath the
foot. 1/2 cup seems to be the defining amount of lint--after that, the
machines shut down. Lint gets packed into gear teeth, which mesh tightly
when clean. Packed full of lint, they grind to a halt.
Top cavities never collect much lint, for obvious reasons.
Threads--loose threads wrapped around gears. Looks as if canned air
might have been used. Yes, it does drive the lint and threads deeper
into the machines. Lots of straight pins jammed inside one
machine-another reason not to sew over pins. Broken needles jammed in
places, loose screws.
Joanne, this can all be laid at your doorstep, you machine-collecting
enabler, you! (BTW, Thanks!!!)
Where to put them, where to put them...
Cea

Old March 2nd 04, 03:55 AM

Dead Machine Revived

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2004, 10:10am
(EST-3) From: (Penny=A0S)
stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who
would listen :
=A0=A0=A0=A0The gold grease was solidified around gears, which was a
pretty good clue as to why it quit running. Looked as if my repairman
had never cleaned the old gunk off, just kept adding more, the topmost
layer still being slightly pliable, the bottom layers set up like
concrete. Other than that, my machine was clean beneath, as I used to
clean it and have it serviced regularly.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0LO! Dead machine walketh!
---
HOW did you clean it? solvent tank?
penny
---
Endless patience; a long slim screwdriver, the tip wrapped in soft
bits of cotton knit fabric, for gently chipping the crusty places and
buffing greasy levers; a bunch of pointy wooden toothpicks (one of which
I managed to drive into my left hand, at the base of the thumb, yowsa)
for cleaning gear teeth; dental floss for tight spaces; the main tool, a
mascara brush--great for picking lint out of crevices--lint gets caught
up in the twisted bristles and pulls right out of the tight spots.
I reapplied white grease to gears--including the nylon gears-- and
metal/metal areas with one of the toothpicks. which picks up just the
right amount of grease.
Couldn't find what really wanted, which was a box of un-linty. long
slim wooden handle Q-tippy cleaners which H used to have for TV repair.
A while back, (when I was feeling too peaky to sew), I took all the soft
cotton knit scraps from the remnant pile, and chopped them roughly into
2" x 2" squares, and stashed them in a large baggie. They're great for
cleaning the serger loopers and the machines. I tuck a corner into the
long serger tweezers, wrap it around the tip, dust, buff, then toss.
Cea

Old March 2nd 04, 04:44 AM
Frank Warner

Dead Machine Revived

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2004, 10:10am
(EST-3) From:
(Penny S)
[...]

Try Carburetor cleaner.. comes in a spray pack .. automotive area of
Kmart .. use it outside .. the stuff stinks ..and ware glasses you don't
want it in your eyes! But it does a good job of dissolving old stuff.
Old March 2nd 04, 12:24 PM
Ron Anderson

Yes and all the plastic parts too.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine

Old March 2nd 04, 03:56 PM

Dead Machine Revived

(Pogonip)
wrote:
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Joanne, this can all be laid at your doorstep, you
machine-collecting enabler, you! (BTW, Thanks!!!)
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Where to put them, where to put them...
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
Cea
---
Aw, shucks, ma'am. Glad to have encouraged you and with such good
results!
Not to brag, but two more machines came home with me yesterday. One's a
Pfaff 332, the other a Singer 301 with the long extension!! Woooweeeee!
Both run smoothly.
You think you have space problems?
Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
---
Sheeeesh! Be sure to let me know when you find spots. H complains
because the old cabinets are really too high for side tables, so I'm not
getting away with as much as you do.
Which reminds me--DD dragged a machine home off the curb (well
trained, eh? NOT), and I'm not interested in this one--it's an old,
high- body black Wheeler and Wilson, with rusty face plate, etc., though
the body looks good. If it can be buffed up, it has tons of room for
quilt rolls under the body.
I need to work on DD some more--she left parts on the curb, and they
were gone in the garbage pick up by the time we revisited the scene of
the grime.
Anyhoo, if you want it, it's yours for the postage. I just hate that
people throw machines in the trash!! Let me know if you want more info.
Cea

Old March 2nd 04, 04:04 PM

Dead Machine Revived

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2004, 12:24pm
(EST+5) From: (Ron=A0Anderson)
Yes and all the plastic parts too.
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
---
Too cryptic for me, Ron. D'ya mean the carburetor cleaner will
dissolve plastic parts?
A carburetor has scads of plastic, rubber, and neoprene parts. I'll
have to find a can of c. cleaner and read the label for
contraindications.
(medical-speak for 'it might cure you, but here's the down-side'.)
Cea
---

"Frank Warner" wrote in message
Dead Machine Revived
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2004, 10:10am
(EST-3) From:
(Penny S)
stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who
would listen :
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The gold grease was solidified around gears,
which was a pretty good clue as to why it quit running. Looked as if my
repairman had never cleaned the old gunk off, just kept adding more, the
topmost layer still being slightly pliable, the bottom layers set up
like concrete. Other than that, my machine was clean beneath, as I used
to clean it and have it serviced regularly.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0LO! Dead machine walketh!
---
HOW did you clean it? solvent tank?
penny
---
=A0=A0=A0=A0Endless patience; a long slim screwdriver, the tip wrapped
in soft bits of cotton knit fabric, for gently chipping the crusty
places and buffing greasy levers; a bunch of pointy wooden toothpicks
(one of which I managed to drive into my left hand, at the base of the
thumb, yowsa) for cleaning gear teeth; dental floss for tight spaces;
the main tool, a mascara brush--great for picking lint out of
crevices--lint gets caught up in the twisted bristles and pulls right
out of the tight spots.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I reapplied white grease to gears--including the nylon
gears-- and metal/metal areas with one of the toothpicks. which picks up
just the right amount of grease.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Couldn't find what really wanted, which was a box of

Old March 2nd 04, 06:10 PM

Dead Machine Revived

(Frank=A0Warner)
Try Carburetor cleaner.. comes in a spray pack .. automotive area of
Kmart .. use it outside .. the stuff stinks ..and ware glasses you don't
want it in your eyes! But it does a good job of dissolving old stuff.
---
Ye Gods! The stuff you guys use! The way the can back reads, you
place your life in danger just uncapping the carb cleaner.
"Toxic gasses, may become concentrated in low areas...vapor which
contacts hot surfaces may decompose, producing corrosive and toxic
gasses...keep away from electrical connections...cannot be made
non-poisonous. Ingestion or absorption through skin of liquid, excessive
inhalation of vapor OR decomposed vapor (???)..may be harmful of
fatal....blindness...damage to the liver; kidneys; brain; heart;
nervous; respiratory, digestive systems, and other organs. Wear chemical
goggles or face shield."
NO, thanks, I have enough trouble breathing as it is. I'll stick with
the white grease.
Cea

Old March 2nd 04, 09:29 PM
Pogonip

---
Sheeeesh! Be sure to let me know when you find spots. H complains
because the old cabinets are really too high for side tables, so I'm not
getting away with as much as you do.
Which reminds me--DD dragged a machine home off the curb (well
trained, eh? NOT), and I'm not interested in this one--it's an old,
high- body black Wheeler and Wilson, with rusty face plate, etc., though
the body looks good. If it can be buffed up, it has tons of room for
quilt rolls under the body.
I need to work on DD some more--she left parts on the curb, and they
were gone in the garbage pick up by the time we revisited the scene of
the grime.
Anyhoo, if you want it, it's yours for the postage. I just hate that
people throw machines in the trash!! Let me know if you want more info.
Cea

Thank you for the kindly thoughts, ma'am. I have a
Wheeler & Wilson No. 9, and a Singer 9W1, which is what
Singer called the No. 9 after they bought W&W in 1906 and
needed to clear out all the old heads. It's a fine
machine, and I'm lucky enough to have all the parts they
need. W&W made a nice accessory box in wood, with the top
pressed with a lovely embossed pattern. DD would do
better to pick up the bits and pieces than the actual
heads - unless they are in really good condition. The
attachments don't take up as much room, are generally in
demand for those who lost theirs, and are easily shipped.
Shipping a cast-iron sewing machine requires a lot of
effort in packing to be sure the machine is adequately
cushioned against a 6 foot drop, and is costly.

However, you might find that all of the pieces that can be
removed from the head are needed by someone, somewhere.
Often, parting out such a machine is more lucrative than
selling the intact machine. A spoked handwheel alone is
valuable.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/