making teddy bear ears round

Old February 26th 04, 09:39 PM
joy beeson

You might try making two circles with the edge turned in,
then put them face-to-face and edge stitch or slip stitch.

A circle cut from stiff interfacing to turn the edge over
might help. (Tight curves are easier over a template, and
you don't have to get an interfacing template out.)

Embroider the ears on a single layer and trim close to the
stitching?

Little yo-yos?

Or cut the deleted things out of felt.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old February 27th 04, 12:11 AM
Maine-iac Rose

Sorry about that then, I never had children, and never got around to making
toys for them, I would make them sweaters. But thanks for that info, if I
do ever make toys for children, I'll keep that in mind.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns so you don't get pricked,
and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
The problem with felt ears is that little kids have a tendency to chew on
them and they just get all gummy and disintegrate........I know this for a
fact because I made my son a corduroy elephant with big felt
ears.........took one nice nap session LOL I went in to get him out of

the
crib and his face was covered in gobs of felt, there were clumps and goo

all
over the walls, crib and sheets........and NO ears on the elephant!

Val

Old February 27th 04, 12:47 AM
JC

I have had some sucess getting bear ears round by sewing in a series of
straight lines with a meaureable angle; stop sewing lift foot and turn
material, foot down and sew some more. The smaller the ear the shorter the
straight.

Another thing that I found helps is a dart along the bottom edge. This also
helps the ear stand up, with thin material you might have to cut the folded
material out.

--
John Cobo
"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
I have a very simple teddy bear pattern,
but the ears keep coming out rectangular.
How do I sew it so that the ears turn
around round?

Old February 27th 04, 06:24 AM
Irrational Number

Valkyrie wrote:

The flannel I use is 100% cotton. I wash and dry it twice in a hot wash and
a hot dryer before I iron it out to start using it. I buy 6 yard lengths
when it's on sale. Fold it over into fourths. Machine baste the selvedge
edges just so it doesn't twist up in the washer and dryer and then just pull
the basting thread out before I iron it. As a test I tossed a few in the
washer and dryer with a load of jeans just to see how they washed up and
they came out fine!

I'll ask the hospital about flannel. It's just nicer
and softer than plain old thin cotton.

If you have an embroidery machine I would be more than happy to send you the
pattern I made for the face on this Luvey. I also added a little heart on
it's chest and little paw pads on it's 'hands'. It's in Hus. format but
if you have any embroidery program I'm sure you can change it over. Drop me
an email and let me know.

Thanks, but I only have a basic Kenmore. I plan to hand-
sew these bears, 'cause that's a lot quieter and I can do
it after the 8-month-old boy has gone to sleep.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old February 27th 04, 06:25 AM
Irrational Number

joy beeson wrote:
You might try making two circles with the edge turned in,
then put them face-to-face and edge stitch or slip stitch.

A circle cut from stiff interfacing to turn the edge over
might help. (Tight curves are easier over a template, and
you don't have to get an interfacing template out.)

Embroider the ears on a single layer and trim close to the
stitching?

Little yo-yos?

Or cut the deleted things out of felt.

Wow, lots of ideas! I'll try these out. (I just
started sewing after getting a machine for Christmas!)

-- Anita --

Old February 27th 04, 06:26 AM
Irrational Number

JC wrote:
I have had some sucess getting bear ears round by sewing in a series of
straight lines with a meaureable angle; stop sewing lift foot and turn
material, foot down and sew some more. The smaller the ear the shorter the
straight.

Another thing that I found helps is a dart along the bottom edge. This also
helps the ear stand up, with thin material you might have to cut the folded
material out.

I used a dart for a hat before... I'll try that
for the ear.

-- Anita --

Old February 27th 04, 09:57 AM
TIZME

Would really like to have your embroidery pattern for the little bear
face...
TIA
TIZME

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:57:05 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
The hospital wants us to use only cotton or cotton
blend. I think they said no flannel (but isn't flannel
cotton?) and no corduroy (I would NEVER use corduroy
on a bear -- sorry, a luvey).

The flannel I use is 100% cotton. I wash and dry it twice in a hot wash and
a hot dryer before I iron it out to start using it. I buy 6 yard lengths
when it's on sale. Fold it over into fourths. Machine baste the selvedge
edges just so it doesn't twist up in the washer and dryer and then just pull
the basting thread out before I iron it. As a test I tossed a few in the
washer and dryer with a load of jeans just to see how they washed up and
they came out fine!

If you have an embroidery machine I would be more than happy to send you the
pattern I made for the face on this Luvey. I also added a little heart on
it's chest and little paw pads on it's 'hands'. It's in Hus. format but
if you have any embroidery program I'm sure you can change it over. Drop me
an email and let me know.

Val
Valkyriemi at yah** dot com