making teddy bear ears round

Old February 25th 04, 06:11 AM
Irrational Number

Default making teddy bear ears round

I have a very simple teddy bear pattern,
but the ears keep coming out rectangular.
How do I sew it so that the ears turn
around round?

Hmm.. I hope that made sense. The bear
is about 10 inches tall, so the ears
are pretty small. There's no fur or
anything, just cotton fabric. I'm hand-
sewing it, but I can't get the ears to be
round. This is really upsetting me.

Thanks,
Anita

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old February 25th 04, 03:00 PM
Maine-iac Rose

After sewing the circle, do you snip the seam allowances to the sewing? Of
course you need to have small stitches to do that, or from machine sewing
that is what I've done. Or you can use pinking shears to cut the circles
out then sew up the circles. That will help in when turning to make the
edge be a little smoother, taking away some of the seam allowance.
Hope this help you.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns so you don't get pricked,
and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

Old February 25th 04, 09:26 PM
Valkyrie

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
I have a very simple teddy bear pattern,
but the ears keep coming out rectangular.
How do I sew it so that the ears turn
around round?

Hmm.. I hope that made sense. The bear
is about 10 inches tall, so the ears
are pretty small. There's no fur or
anything, just cotton fabric. I'm hand-
sewing it, but I can't get the ears to be
round. This is really upsetting me.

Is this the two piece teddy bear pattern? I made a herd of those little
guys, even had a cute face digitized so I could embroider the faces on 3
yards of fabric before I even cut them out, sort of the assembly line
method. I worked on those darned little ears every way I could think of,
even double stitched right on the DRAWN round line. I machine sewed, hand
sewed, clipped, graded, trimmed, pinked, used my bone folder to try to
'round them out, you name it and after 63 of the little buggers I still
never got a ROUND ear turned out. *sigh* The kids love them anyway, oh
well. Does seem strange though, the pattern IS round. I solved the
problem though....I just now call them 'Luveys' (Luv-ees)......Bears have
round ears, Luveys have weird ears but they are really just as nice to hug
and cuddle!! And BTW.....I found the ones I made in pre-washed flannel to
be especially soft and huggable.

Val

Old February 25th 04, 10:09 PM
TIZME

What pattern is this? I have a new grandson and I'm sure he would
love a simple teddy bear...TIA

Old February 25th 04, 10:41 PM
Valkyrie

This is the pattern I use. I printed it out so it just fits on a regular
sheet of printer paper. I digitized a cute little face and also the cutting
outline in a basting stitch from the shoulders up. The whole bear won't fit
in my large hoop. I would run a line of bears across the fabric, then take
the plastic template I made from the paper pattern, line up the face on the
template, trace the whole bear and do another row. I'd embroider about 3
yds of a 6yd piece of flannel, fold it over, put a couple of pins in each
bear and cut them out. Worked pretty well!! If you are only making one or
a few you can always just hand embroider the face. Just keep in mind that
most little folk put EVERYTHING in their mouth so make sure whatever you do
is secure and non-toxic.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bear.html

This lady has a lot of cute things on her site if you go to her home page
and look at the index.

Val

Old February 26th 04, 01:14 AM
TIZME

Thanks for the info. Watching a Featherweight on eBay right now but
will go visit the site when it closes...

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:41:55 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old February 26th 04, 07:00 AM
Irrational Number

Valkyrie wrote:
[...]

Maybe I'll just have to live with weirdly-shaped
ears...! I tried using very small stitches, I've
clipped in the corners, haven't yet clipped around
the ear in general...

Yes, I'm using probably the exact pattern that you
put in your other post. I'm making these bears for
the local hospital (they give one to every pediatric
patient) and they gave me the pattern. They gave me
one of their samples and I thought, oh, I'll make it
cuter, mine will have round ears and I'll sew on felt
eyes and nose (they used laundry marker to draw them --
VERY CHEESY). Well, that'll teach me to be obnoxious.
I can't get the ears round.

The hospital wants us to use only cotton or cotton
blend. I think they said no flannel (but isn't flannel
cotton?) and no corduroy (I would NEVER use corduroy
on a bear -- sorry, a luvey).

-- Anita --

Old February 26th 04, 03:52 PM
Maine-iac Rose

What about using felt cutout for the ears, just cut out the shape of the
round ear, with a flat side that will hide in the hem, that way you only
have to sew around the body of the Teddy Bear. Ask the hospital, maybe they
will make an exception with the felt.
Good Luck

Maine-iac Rose
@---

Old February 26th 04, 05:39 PM
Valkyrie

"Maine-iac Rose" wrote in message
What about using felt cutout for the ears, just cut out the shape of the
round ear, with a flat side that will hide in the hem, that way you only
have to sew around the body of the Teddy Bear. Ask the hospital, maybe

they
will make an exception with the felt.
Good Luck

Maine-iac Rose

The problem with felt ears is that little kids have a tendency to chew on
them and they just get all gummy and disintegrate........I know this for a
fact because I made my son a corduroy elephant with big felt
ears.........took one nice nap session LOL I went in to get him out of the
crib and his face was covered in gobs of felt, there were clumps and goo all
over the walls, crib and sheets........and NO ears on the elephant!

Val

Old February 26th 04, 05:57 PM
Valkyrie

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
The hospital wants us to use only cotton or cotton
blend. I think they said no flannel (but isn't flannel
cotton?) and no corduroy (I would NEVER use corduroy
on a bear -- sorry, a luvey).

The flannel I use is 100% cotton. I wash and dry it twice in a hot wash and
a hot dryer before I iron it out to start using it. I buy 6 yard lengths
when it's on sale. Fold it over into fourths. Machine baste the selvedge
edges just so it doesn't twist up in the washer and dryer and then just pull
the basting thread out before I iron it. As a test I tossed a few in the
washer and dryer with a load of jeans just to see how they washed up and
they came out fine!

If you have an embroidery machine I would be more than happy to send you the
pattern I made for the face on this Luvey. I also added a little heart on
it's chest and little paw pads on it's 'hands'. It's in Hus. format but
if you have any embroidery program I'm sure you can change it over. Drop me
an email and let me know.

Val
Valkyriemi at yah** dot com