Questions about 36ct fabric; plys of thread & bead size?

Old October 22nd 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default Questions about 36ct fabric; plys of thread & bead size?

I bought the pattern for Mirabilia's Petal Fairy, see it he
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Mirabi...attern/04-3255

Now I'm contemplating what to do. I have a gorgeous peachy colored, opalescent fabric in my stash, but it's 36ct and I've never worked on that before.

If I were to stitch 2 over 2, would the thread be too thick for 36 count fabric?

I'm also considering stitching 1 over 1 but I've never done that before. Will 1 thread be enough coverage on 36ct? The pattern calls for Kreinik...I can't believe that stuff can be worked 1 over 1. Perhaps just using a single strand of blending filament would work?

Have you guys ever stitched such a large pattern 1 over 1 before, and will mistakes be too difficult to rip out? I doubt I can get through a pattern this size without needing to rip out at least some stitches (I make mistakes all the time).

Also, there's not too many beads on this project...it's hard to tell on the picture but the beads are only at the ends of the fairy's wings and swirling around the bottom of her dress (they aren't packed in too tightly, as they are in other mira's). What size bead should I use for 36ct?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.
Old October 23rd 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 10/22/2017 11:53 AM, Violet Stitches wrote:

I bought the pattern for Mirabilia's Petal Fairy, see it he
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Mirabi...attern/04-3255

Ooo, pretty!

Now I'm contemplating what to do. I have a gorgeous peachy colored, opalescent fabric in my stash, but it's 36ct and I've never worked on that before.

Make sure you lay the flosses on the fabric to make sure they look good
with it, especially with the colors on the edges, so they don't fade
into the fabric.

If I were to stitch 2 over 2, would the thread be too thick for 36 count fabric?

36 ct. equals 18 over 2, so 2 strands of thread (not sure what the
pattern calls for) would cover quite well. 3 strands might be a bit thick.

I'm also considering stitching 1 over 1 but I've never done that before. Will 1 thread be enough coverage on 36ct? The pattern calls for Kreinik...I can't believe that stuff can be worked 1 over 1. Perhaps just using a single strand of blending filament would work?

I've never worked over one (except the face in my Fairy Grandmother and
I don't remember off-hand how many threads I used on it), so I can't
help much there.

Have you guys ever stitched such a large pattern 1 over 1 before, and will mistakes be too difficult to rip out? I doubt I can get through a pattern this size without needing to rip out at least some stitches (I make mistakes all the time).

Also, there's not too many beads on this project...it's hard to tell on the picture but the beads are only at the ends of the fairy's wings and swirling around the bottom of her dress (they aren't packed in too tightly, as they are in other mira's). What size bead should I use for 36ct?

At 18 ct. I would use petite beads, which I don't think would really fit
if you did it over 1.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

HTH and keep us posted.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old October 23rd 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

At 18 ct. I would use petite beads, which I don't think would really fit
if you did it 1 over 1.

Thanks Joan for your input! You know I didn't even consider how the beads wouldn't fit if I stitched it 1 over 1. So that's out, because there's no way I'm going to do a mirabilia without beads.

I spent last evening and this morning himming and hawing about that peach fabric in my stash, and ultimately decided it was just a touch too close to the fairy's skin color. The fairy's face is back stitched (which would help it stand out), but it's still just too close. This is what I'm thinking of going with instead:

http://www.silkweaverfabrics.com/hom...erbet-site.jpg

Old October 24th 17, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 10/23/2017 5:10 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

At 18 ct. I would use petite beads, which I don't think would really fit
if you did it 1 over 1.

Thanks Joan for your input! You know I didn't even consider how the beads wouldn't fit if I stitched it 1 over 1. So that's out, because there's no way I'm going to do a mirabilia without beads.

LOL! Yeah, I can understand that!

I spent last evening and this morning himming and hawing about that peach fabric in my stash, and ultimately decided it was just a touch too close to the fairy's skin color. The fairy's face is back stitched (which would help it stand out), but it's still just too close. This is what I'm thinking of going with instead:

http://www.silkweaverfabrics.com/hom...erbet-site.jpg

Pretty fabric! If you did it with the pinkish part on the bottom and
yellowish part on top (assuming all the pieces they dye are 1/2 yellow &
1/w pink), I think it would complement nicely.

So, what count is that sherbet?

Old October 24th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Pretty fabric! If you did it with the pinkish part on the bottom and
yellowish part on top (assuming all the pieces they dye are 1/2 yellow &
1/w pink), I think it would complement nicely.

So, what count is that sherbet?

I agree, flipping the fabric so the pink is on the bottom might be best for color contrast. I'll have to see how my individual piece of fabric is dyed before I make my final decision.

I debated between 32ct and 36ct. I ended up going with 32ct opalescent lugana. The 36ct would have been great because the size of this fairy is a tad big for my tastes...she's 18" high and that's going to be expensive to frame. The pattern called for 32ct though, and I know others have a hard time with getting the beads to fit on Mirabilias, so I just bit the bullet and went with 32.

However, I swear I'm going to find something to stitch on that gorgeous piece of 36ct peach fabric in my stash...might have to buy another pattern!

As to whether or not 1 over 1 stitching is something I'm going to like, I think I'll try it with a small, simple pattern first. I've heard lots of people say they don't enjoy it, but I got this new magnifying lamp which is fabulous, and it might make 1 over 1 possible for me. It's this one on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did you get your Lowery Stand yet? I purchased the Lowery Light Bracket from SewandSo (UK stitching shop) and put the magnifying lamp on it...what an awesome stitching setup that is. I'll never go back to hoops and other kinds of magnifiers.

https://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/l...5919?TRE00000/

Happy stitching!
Old October 25th 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

Both your fabrics are very pretty. If you have a big enough piece of fabric I would mount the finished piece using a pre-stretched artist canvas. (Think modern paintings where the artist paints the sides of the pre-stretched canvas and then doesn't surround the piece with a frame).

Your painted fabrics are certainly lovely enough to be displayed over the sides of a pre-stretched canvas.

I have only used 1 over 1 on parts of pieces that need very detailed stitching, such as faces or hands. I wouldn't even consider doing an entire piece in 1 over 1, unless a miniature.
Old October 25th 17, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

If you have a big enough piece of fabric I would mount the finished piece using a pre-stretched artist canvas. (Think modern paintings where the artist paints the sides of the pre-stretched canvas and then doesn't surround the piece with a frame).

Hummmm...interesting idea to stretch it over a canvas. I'd have to find a canvas exactly the right size, but it could possibly work. I've seen youtube tutorials where they mounted stitching on top of a canvas, but not one where they stretched the work over the sides of the canvas...so that would take some figuring out. My only concern is that this is a big, intricate piece which will likely take me many months to stitch, and if I ruin it in the finishing I'll probably cry.

Still, it's an interesting idea to consider and I thank you for it. I might try it with some cheap, non-stitched fabric first to see how it goes. If it works out it could save me a crapload of money in future finishing costs.

Old October 26th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 10/24/2017 2:06 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

As to whether or not 1 over 1 stitching is something I'm going to like, I think I'll try it with a small, simple pattern first.

Maybe check for petit point patterns. IIRC, those are all stitched over
one. I know there are a lot of jewelry patterns.

Did you get your Lowery Stand yet?

Yup, got it last Thursday. Haven't set it up yet because it would tempt
me to start a new project and I am *so* close to finishing my Victorian
house...about a 3"x3" area left. I can be patient.

Old October 27th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

[...]

very pretty. We just moved into shepherds grove. I also am a stitcher. check out my instagram glennahenn1