sort on topic

Old August 12th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone[_3_]

Default sort on topic

On 12/08/2011 17:57, Ellice K. wrote:
On 8/12/11 2:53 AM, in article , "Shirley
wrote:

On 11/08/2011 20:52, Bruce wrote:
On 11/08/2011 20:28, wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:35:13 -0700 (PDT), Tia Mary
wrote:
Years and years ago, my Granny made braided rugs out of old
hosiery. She made *huge* rugs -- I think she collected the hosiery
from the other "old ladies" she knew from church. I can remember
sitting and braiding the hpsiery while she sewed the braids together
to make the rug. They were usually but on occasion she would make
round rugs. VBS -- too bad I don't wear hosiery any more. It would
be a great craft to do with the SMDGD when she comes up to visit.
Maybe I'll ask my friends b ack in GA to save their old panty hose for
me -- LOLOL!! CiaoMeow^;;^
I never made one but saw them and thought they were good looking. Very
durable too.

My grandmother used to make rag rugs - hessian base and old clothing cut
into strips. Very popular in WW2. They made good dust traps. And my wife
discovered they were virtually unwashable when she (in 1942 aged 7)
dropped a full, opened tin of condensed milk onto a rag rug; not only
was the rug ruined but the tin of milk was the family's ration for at
least a fortnight.
Bruce

I used to help my mother make rag rugs during WW11. We used to cut up
old clothes into strips of about 1/2inch x 3 inch called clippings. My
mother would open and wash a Hessian sack and sew the edges down to stop
fraying. Then she would mark a pattern on. Usually a square or triangle
in the middle and a border. The middle was either in black or red. the
border was black and the rest was done in random colours. There was two
ways to do it, from the back using a broken clothes peg (the dolly type)
which was sharpened to a point. First a hole was made with the peg then
the rag clipping was pushed through with the peg. Holding the clipping
under the Hessian a second hole would be made close by and the other end
of the strip pushed through. Both end would be pulled level. This was
also called the proddy method

The other method working from the right side was using a tool that had a
jaw on it. The tool would be pushed through through the Hessian holding
a tuck of about 1/4 inch in the left hand. The jaw was opened and a
clipping was inserted in the tool jaw the pulled back through both holes
keeping the ends level. The next clipping would be put alongside and
worked along a row. When the Hessian was covered it would be checked
over for any uneven ends.
Mother used to go to jumble sales to find old clothes that were
suitable. Knitted garments that had felted. She used to dye them to get
a bit of colour. If the fabric was thin then two clippings would be used
together.

I still have a large jar full of the jaw type tools called rug peggers.

Shirley -
Thanks for sharing this - really interesting. I never really thought about
how those rag rugs were made. I've seen the ones made out of old hosiery&
other polyester stuff braided and woven together. And certainly latch-hook
rug making, but this sounds kind of ingenious. Latch-hooks are likely sort
of the refined take.

Thanks again - great description.

Ellice

I will take some pictures of the tools and put them on my website over
the next few days.
Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old August 14th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 8/12/11 2:07 PM, in article , "Shirley
Shone" wrote:

On 12/08/2011 17:57, Ellice K. wrote:
On 8/12/11 2:53 AM, in article , "Shirley
wrote:

*big snip*

[...]

Thanks - that would be fun to see.

Ellice

Old August 21st 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan[_4_]

On Aug 11, 1:35*pm, Tia Mary wrote:
On Aug 7, 8:23*am, wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:12:11 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

wrote:
found two braided rug style seat covers - think they belonged to my
family...

think a bath in Orvus would be ok after I mend them?

Cheryl

They were generally made of washable fabrics - can you manage to test
a corner ?

I recall it was very popular years ago to braid stockings/pantyhose,
so they were very washable and actually the slightly differing shades
of brown wound up looking pretty good.

* Years and years ago, my Granny made braided rugs out of old
hosiery. *She made *huge* rugs -- I think she collected the hosiery
from the other "old ladies" she knew from church. *I can remember
sitting and braiding the hpsiery while she sewed the braids together
to make the rug. * They were usually but on occasion she would make
round rugs. * VBS -- too bad I don't wear hosiery any more. *It would
be a great craft to do with the SMDGD when she comes up to visit.
Maybe I'll ask my friends b ack in GA to save their old panty hose for
me -- LOLOL!! *CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary /\____/\ © ^.,.^
* * * * * * * * * * * = 0.0 = * * *( * * )~~~~~
their WHISKERS!
NOTHING is complete without a few cat hairs -- they make the best
decorative fibers! Tia Mary's Webshots

Mostly lurk on here but saw this and thought I would add my two cents.
My daughter wanted something to do with all the variety of plastic
bags we have and I remembered a neighbor making rugs from plastic
bread wrappers when I was little. After some searching I found this
web site: www.rusticgirls.com/fun/grocery-bag-rug. It shows how to
make rugs out of any style of plastic bags. Becca's been having fun
braiding and when I get a minute, I do a couple of rounds with needle
and thread. Hope this helps.

Susan from PA
Old August 22nd 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

wrote:

On 12/08/2011 17:57, Ellice K. wrote:
On 8/12/11 2:53 AM, in article , "Shirley
wrote:

*big snip*

[...]

I remember seeing those. Some were very pretty when an assortment of
bags were used.

Anymore, I use the fabric bags from the grocery store (mostly Publix,
since I am in Florida). When we travel I buy the local store's bag.
Great souvenirs, and great way to store the WIPs and UFOs.

Gillian

Sort of on topic Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 March 11th 09 01:12 PM
Have you seen these? Sort of ON Topic Laurie G. in CA Quilting 6 May 17th 08 02:18 AM
Sort of On Topic Lucille Needlework 21 March 24th 06 08:19 AM
Question (sort of ON topic) Sindir Quilting 5 May 6th 04 02:16 AM
I've been away... OT< but there's a sort of ON topic bit at the end... Kate Dicey Quilting 9 December 10th 03 07:37 PM