water in studio again

Old December 28th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default water in studio again

There is a saying in the Chicago area that if you don't like the
weather just wait ten minutes and it will change. We have just
experienced an unbelievable week of changing weather.

About 10" of snow fell in the week before Christmas. The days it
didn't snow were very cold. Several days the high temperature was
around zero. When I went shopping the Saturday before Christmas the
wind was biting cold to the point that I gave up shopping before I was
finished. I just couldn't stand the thought of walking across another
icy, wind-swept parking lot.

Yesterday, the Saturday after Christmas, the high temperature was 61
and it rained all day. You can probably picture the mess. The ground
is frozen so no water can soak in. It all runs to the lowest spot.
Roads were closed and any low spot in your yard had standing water.

As my Subject line suggests I did get water in my studio. It was
discouraging after all the work we have done this fall but nothing was
ruined and the new painted floor will be much easier to clean than the
old carpet. The water was not coming in through any of the studio
walls that had been repaired this fall. It was coming from a spot
which we knew still had to be fixed in the unfinished work area. We
were planning to fix it before spring. Foolishly we thought there
wouldn't be any rain storms until spring. When we first moved into the
house 23 years ago we fixed that crack but the pressure from the fall
storm forced the repair out. Our carpenter said the newer epoxies will
prevent that type of failure in the future.

A second leak was coming from the furnace room. We have never been
able to find the source of that water. During the storm the carpenter
who worked in the studio came over and thinks he found the source of
the problem under the fireplace. He thinks he can fix it by digging
down on the outside of the foundation but of course that will have to
wait until spring.

My studio is between the unfinished area and the furnace room. The
water was running from both sides through the studio to the low spot
in the laundry room. My husband and sons manned wet vacuums all day to
keep the water in check. The few things that we had to move to the
family room were the miscellaneous cardboard boxes of stuff that had
not been put away from our fall water problem and resulting
redecorating. If I had finished the reorganization of the studio
nothing would have had to been moved. Since we were home at the start
of the storm everything was removed from harm before the water reached
it.

Our backyard is a pond again. This is the fourth time in the 23 years
we have lived here that the backyard has filled. The annoying thing is
that two of the four time have been within four months of each other.
The neighbor two houses west has lived in their home for 28 years and
only had water in their basement twice, this fall and yesterday. We
will talk to the city but with budgets so tight I doubt they will do
anything. My son borrowed a gas pump and 150 feet of hose from his
office. The water was pumped from the backyard to the street in the
front where it could run to a storm drain. The pump ran from 2 p.m.
until 11p.m. keeping the water at a manageable level. This morning the
pond is frozen but I don't think the ice is thick enough to skate on
yet. As a child I always dreamed of my own skating pond in our
backyard so I didn't have to wait until someone could drive me to the
park.

Moral to this story---store everything in plastic tubs and keep them
at least two inches off the floor.

Susan

Old December 28th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Susan, I am so sorry that this happened to you again! Your schedule must be
a disaster! Wish I could send you some dry air from Tucson to empty your
basement and back yard quickly.

My sympathies, and keep us posted. I can only send drying thoughts and
gentle hugs. HTH

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old December 28th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh Susan, what a mess. I was thinking of you yesterday while I made the
dearest little size 3-pound diaper shirt from a soft sweet piece of tiny
blue checks that you sent to me. From our tv weather news, it looks like
the Chicago area is taking a horrible beating from all directions. We are
so sorry you're having such a rough time. Holding you close, Polly

m...

Old December 28th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Oh my Susan, this sounds terrible. Like Carolyn we could send
you some dry air. Better yet there are homes all over the area
here for sale at rock bottom prices. No basements but no floods.
Good luck with the clean up. Hope you get the chance to skate
at least before it is all over if you are near that point anyway.
Hugs, Taria
Old December 28th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

What a nightmare! I have experienced the misery of being flooded and
it's not pretty.

Sunny
Old December 28th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Oh, Susan, I can't believe this is all happening again to you! How
awful. I do hope you'll be able to get all of the repairs done before
the next rainstorm.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 28th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Hi Susan,

So sorry to hear about the wet studio. What a PITA! Hope you dry out very
soon!
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old December 29th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Well, DANG!
Too bad about the floods, Susan.

btw, that cliché about the weather changing so quickly is repeated in
many parts of the country. It was in the 80s here, Friday,
headed there yesterday morning before this front moved in :
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Vie...27_Storms.html
pic #30 shows what we woke to, the clear, bright blue (w/ winds
blowing gales of 20-50 mph for 2 days) w/ the cool front right beside it
w/ some light showers and tornado warnings, mid-morning; clear
skies and sunshine after noon. *sheesh* from a/c to heater in
just a few hours.
I vaguely remember the seeping basements from childhood "up north";
now the words sump pump make us scream & head back to our 'hood.

Best wishes on the clean-up & dry-out.

R/Sandy

Old December 29th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Aw, Susan..not again???? OMG. i get some water in the spring in the
basement, but it's my garage and laundry room....and the w/d are up on
pallets off the floor.
my sump-pump is new, so no worries there.

Hope you dry out soon. Too bad there isnt a spare room upstairs for
you to convescate for the winter to sew in.

Glad to see you're on the bright side...wish i could go back to
skating, but my ankles are too weak. Have fun.

amy in CNY (balmy today....cold tomorrow...what else is new??)
Old December 29th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

What a mess!
I simpathize - we had a leaky water heater that pumped several inches of
water into the basement sewing room for a day before our house checker
discovered it! Had fun dealing with the insurance company when we returned
home.
Our other experience was Hurricane Opal in Panama City. Fortunately my
sewing room was in the upstairs bonus room, so none of my quilt stuff was
damaged. The rest of the house was in knee deep salt water and muck for a
day before the water receded. Don't want to deal with that ever again!

--
Susan
in Zephyrhills FL for the winter