OT word of the day

Old November 22nd 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

Mohair

The fiber obtained from the angora goat.
It is valued for it's silky texture, and the fact that it does not
felt near so readily as standard wool thus also being considerably
less prone to shrinkage.
Because of its hairlike apearance prior to spinning, it is also
frequently used in making collectible or high end doll's wigs and toy
animal pelts.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 22nd 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Mo hair

What my father always said he wanted for Xmas. He went bald at 23 yrs
old........

Ginger in CA
[jeez give me a good night's sleep, walk at dawn and a cup of tea, you
never know what may be typed out!]

Old November 23rd 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Cashmere

The undercoat fibers of the cashmere (or sometimes spelled kashmir as
it was originally) goat.
A superior fiber for warmth, durability and texture.

It is significantly more labor intensive to harvest and prepare for
spinning than most other wools, even when the less desireable harvest
method of shearing is employed. Optimally the goats are combed during
their spring shedding, as this increases the length of the undercoat
fibers obtained and reduces the amount of outter coat hairs
contaminating it. The wool is then picked over, often mechanically,
to further remove undesirable hairs prior to cleaning.
In the last decade significantly more problems with fraudulent
lableing have arisen, as the wool may be shipped to several different
countries for processing prior to being woven or knit. Most recently
a large amount of cashmere yarn that had been adulterated with sheep's
wool during the spinning process, was shipped to China where it was
worked into garments and labled as 100% cashmere. Since cashmere wool
has fluctuated in price between US120 and US190 per pound of unspun
wool, it is easy to see why such practices have been flourishing.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 24th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Poplin

A plain weave fabric with fine ribs.
The ribbing is obtained by useing a heavier thread and a higher thread
count in the warp threads than in the weft. Most frequently found in
medium weights of cotton or cotton blends, but can be any weight or
fiber.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 25th 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Soutache
alternately called Russian Braid

A type of narrow flat braid used as trim.
Used extensively in old applique patterns.
Also seen as applique on modern clothing for celtic, tribal, or other
designs involving intricate line work where an unbroken line that
overlaps itself is desired.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 30th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Tunisian or Afghan stitch

One of the simplest crochet stitches. The even weavelike stitches, and
the reasonably flat surface of this type of work lends itself well to
various forms of needlework embellishment.
It is worked entirely on the front of the work and is achieved by
simply making a length of chain stitchs, then drawing a loop through
each chain which is held on the hook to the end of the row, then
drawing single chain stitchs back through each individual loop.

When done with warm weight yarns this creates a dense fabric with
reasonable drape that has been compared to thermal blankets in warmth.
When done with crochet cottons or lace weight threads, a sturdy fabric
suitable for cross stitch or tapestry (needlepoint) is made.

If the special long crochet hooks often used in this type of work are
unavailable, the loops may be kept on a seperate bar that is of a size
with the hook being used, or a series of same size hooks may be used*.

*Thank you Butterfly!

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 30th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Well, cool! Guess I need to add this to my bucket list of things to
learn!

Ginger in CA
[thanks nightmist for doing these word-of-the-day posts]

Old November 30th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Your welcome. I have one that has the middle embroidered with an elephant
and a lion. I don't have the 2 sides embroidered yet. Just can't decide what
would look best.

Butterfly (I get it out every so often and the inspiration just isn't
there.)

Old November 30th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

My mom has done TONS of blankets with the afghan stitch.
She taught it to me as well.
She usually does it with a regular weight wool or yarn and then cross
stitches various designs on it to make nice patterns.

The kicker is that she had a stroke about 20 yrs ago and she crochets
and cross stitches it all with ONE hand!
Her paralyzed hand is tensed up almost into a fist all the time, so
she just shoves the crochet hook in it and does all the work with her
good hand! She has also recently discovered that she can still knit
this way as well.

And blankets done in wool (or even polyester yarn which is what she
usually uses) with the afghan stitch are SO warm!

On Nov 30, 2:17*am, (NightMist) wrote:
Tunisian or Afghan stitch

Old December 2nd 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Body Canvas

A good quality suit coat is made with three layers of fabric, the one
in the middle is the body canvas. The body canvas is the layer that
gives the suit coat it's proper shape. Optimally the body canvas is a
material that will hold a shape when ironed properly, yet have a good
drape and be breathable. A cheap suit may imitate this layer by
useing a coating of glue inside the outer suiting fabric, obviously
this makes an uncomfortable garment. Actual body canvas may be made of
a number of fabrics. Often wool, or camel hair, or various blends
including these and/or horsehair and cotton are used. The prefered
fabric, and of course thus the most expensive, is camel hair.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 12:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 12:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 06:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 04:07 PM