OT candy making tools

Old December 18th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT candy making tools

When II went to start the candy making for the holidays I discovered
that my candy bars had gone awol. Since I don't use them but once or
twice a year I am boggled. Tore the freaking kitchen apart looking
for them and they still are not there.

If they don't magically reappear I will need to replace them.
All the local shops where I might have been able to get some have
closed. Nowhere in websearches have I found anything close. Surely
there must be somplace to get such a basic candymaking tool. The ones
I can't find are ceramic coated steel. I don't want plain steel if I
can avoid it, but if I can't find something in coated or stainless I
may have to get one of the guys at the engine plant to cut me some.
They are just heavy bars that you set up and pour candy between, or
use to keep the candy from running off the edge of the slab.

Anybody got a clue?

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old December 18th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Have you called the local restaurant supply houses? Even if they don't have
it, they might point you in the right direction.

I did find stainless online:
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/ca...dcndy.htm#tool , about a
quarter of the way down the page.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old December 18th 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
I know this is a site that Wendy gave me a couple of years ago when I was
attempting candy making http://www.candylandcrafts.com/index.htm maybe
they might have something that fits your needs....

Great minds and all that.

Old December 19th 05, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Here are some links I have:

http://www.chocosphere.com/ (more chocolate than you can shake a stick at)
http://www.sugarcraft.com/ (some basic tools/supplies)
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/index.htm (lots of molds, some basic info and
good quality colored "chocolate")
http://tcbsupply.com/ (I have this link, but dont' remember anything about
the site)
http://dilettante.com/default.aspx (this one's just for drooling over)
http://www.cybercakes.com/new_products.html (another one I don't remember
anything about)
http://www.sweetc.com/sweetc.htm (limited tools/supplies, but a large
variety of Peter's chocolate)

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old December 19th 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ok, I just re-read your note. I don't remember seeing anything like that on
those links. You can try asking about it over at rec.food.chocolate. They
prefer bottom-posting, trimming of replies, all the basic usenet stuff, and
can be quite.... um.... uppity. Yeah, let's use that word. They get kind of
pi**y when one uses the term "truffle" to refer to something other than
thick ganache, hand-formed and rolled in cocoa. And the pretty colored
confection stuff all the fun candies are made from? Better not call it
"chocolate"!!

You're a big girl - you can handle it. Some of the members are very
knowledgeable.

Old December 19th 05, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

*looks at the price and faints dead away"

NightMist

Old December 19th 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

How nice of you to give a warning. A simple question answered by unfriendly
or nasty replies can certainly ruin one's day. Sounds like a pretty
exclusive "club" or chocoholics. I suppose that nomenclature would ruffle
their feathers too.
Might be fun to pop over and lurk, however.
KJ

Old December 19th 05, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I don't have them. But I will commiserate with you....that's the kind of
thing that happens to me far too frequently. I had no idea there even was
such a thing, but I'm sure they're very handy when needed. I'll keep my
fingers crossed they magically return to their designated spot. Could they
have gotten pushed to the back of a shelf and fallen down behind the
cabinets or some such event? As my very "clever" DH says, "it's always in
the last place you look." Duh!
KJ

Old December 19th 05, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My pan of Christmas Crack is about 3/4 gone. The relatives kept my busy
refilling the candy dish yesterday!
Your fudge sounds yummy. I think I caught an Alton Brown show last week on
a sleepless night when he was making.....geez, what was it??? I think it
was Christmas cookies. I remember thinking several times, "That's a good
idea, I'll have to try that." I guess I was sleepier than I thought,
because I have no idea what those great ideas were! Maybe I'll catch a
rerun sometime when I'm fully awake.
KJ

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
om:

Great minds and all that.

:-) I seriously think Wendy was up for some sort of humanitarian award
that year, but I did manage to pull off some simple candy lol... enough to
fool a youngster..... and today my fudge came out nicely...Alton Brown's
recipw with Shcaffenberger choc .. my compromise to KJ's recipe.... that
I'm still drooling over :-)

Jan

Old December 19th 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Maybe you've been looking in the wrong place! If I had a small
boy at home, I'd be looking into his 'treasures!' Those bars
sound useful for pattern weights, so perhaps they are 'on loa' to
the sewing basket. Don't' forget to tie a towel to the table leg.
It hasn't worked for me yet, but others say it is sure fire trick.
PAT

NightMist wrote:

[...]

Halloween -- planning for next year -- tools and tool storage LurfysMa Carving 0 October 31st 05 03:58 PM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin Carving 6 November 2nd 04 10:46 AM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin General Crafting 4 November 2nd 04 10:46 AM
Vintage Making Simple Wooden Toys 1945 ending today Sally Marketplace 0 September 19th 04 01:49 AM
Glazing tools contest Robert B II Pottery 3 July 24th 03 01:32 PM