OT - Whine and Rant, Long and feel free to ignore

Old June 12th 05, 07:58 AM
Sharon Harper

Default OT - Whine and Rant, Long and feel free to ignore

This is long, this is all about me having a whine so feel free to ignore.

Have tried to tell DH how I feel but it ain't working.

This new role he's taken with work has had hime home for about 2 days a
month over the last six with about 4 more months to go on this b***h of a
schedule. For example, he left on the 4 May for 3 days in Thailand, got
home on the Sunday and left the following Tuesday for a couple weeks in the
USA. He's been "home" (working quite long hours) for 2 weeks and left 5
June for 2 weeks in Japan and Korea. He lands in melbourne 7.40am next
Sunday and departs at 10.40am (same day) for 2 weeks in the USA. Home for a
week (annual leave) and then he's off again.

I've told him how peeved I am with the schedule and he's saying that once
the trainers he's training are trained (!!) he won't travel so much. Fine
and dandy but right now is more what I'm concerned about. He's always
travelled a bit and the girls were pretty much used to it. However this
trip they literally grabbed onto his legs and begged him not to go. It damn
near broke my heart - especially because I wanted to do the same but
couldn't (someone has to be strong right?).

I'm tired. Tired of being the one who has primary care of the house,
meaning I feed, clothe, bathe, drink, make breaky, lunch, dinner, snacks,
help with reading, homework for the girls, deal with mail, bills, phone
calls, trash, neighbours, families, shopping, whatall else as well as go to
work four days a week. I'm tired of having no-one to talk to at the end of
a long day. I'm tired of sitting down at night quilting and actually
looking forward to an episode of Lost or CSI, or the Amazing Race so as I
can talk to the characters (sometimes I feel they are a part of my family).
I'm tired of having to make the decisions. I'm tired of having to take
sleeping pills to get 4 hours of sleep a night because my mind is so wired I
can't switch off.

I'm tired of reaching out at 3 am and feeling cold sheets instead of my
husband. I'm tired of him saying "it's only a few more months". I'm tired
of asking him to ask his boss for other trainers to step up or to tell his
boss that I'm p'd off.

I'm tired of hearing my mum whine about my uncle (her brother who looked
after my nan and pop until they both passed and who's having trouble
coping). I'm tired of telling her to sell up if dad can't manage the steep
incline at their house and to move to a flatter block only to hear "we will
we'll move near you very soon" then in the next breath hearing "12 months".
I'm tired of hearing her say "we'll probably be down to see you this
weekend" only to (yet again) find the weekend here with no visit, and to
hear "next weekend".

I'm tired of wanting to sit down and cry my damn eyes out and yell and
scream and kick and then feeling the tears and having to suck them back up
again because it upsets the girls when I cry and the last thing I need with
DH away is 2 upset children. Lordy that's not good. I'm tired of feeling
like I'm going to explode if someone says the magic word - and I don't know
what that word is.

Dear Angels I'm just tired. And what's worse. I don't want to go to DH's
parents tonight for his father's birthday and pretend that everything is
a-ok. Especially with his sister and her new "friend" (for heaven's sake
she ain't even divorced yet) and his brother and his wife and ratbag kids.

God save me, I can't take much more. Thanks for listeing. End of whine.
Deep breath, dry the eyes. Go change shirt. Smile on face and time to go
sing happy birthday. I'm tired.

quicker)

Old June 12th 05, 08:36 AM
melinda

Sharon Harper wrote:
This is long, this is all about me having a whine so feel free to ignore.

[snip]

Sounds like you need at least a week break from the family to do stuff
just for you. I wish we lived closer together I'd come over to mind
the kids so you could have some time for yourself or just come over
so you could a conversation with an adult. The best I can offer is

((((HUGS))))

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old June 12th 05, 10:31 AM
Roberta Zollner

((((Sharon))))
What about an au pair to help with the house and kids? (They aren't meant to
be housemaids, but it might take some of the pressure off.) Or just hire a
weekly cleaner -it would be worth the expense.

I know exactly how you feel, BTDT. My DH traveled 1-2 weeks out of every
month for a number of years. There were plenty of occasions when I had the
new suitcase full of clean clothes ready to go, and he would just have to
switch over his razor and toiletry case, and repack the briefcase before
heading back to the airport. I eventually grew to enjoy my independence and
my ability to handle anything that came along. My amusement was to change
something in the house every time he left on a trip, then see how long it
took him to notice the change. (Once I painted a green stripe down the
stairs, and he never mentioned it!)
Roberta in D

u...

Old June 12th 05, 11:42 AM
Sharon Harper

Thanks Melinda. Just writing about it helped a great deal. If I'd had my
brain in gear I'd have hit delete instead of making y'all put up with it.

quicker)

Old June 12th 05, 11:44 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL Roberta, you made me smile. I'm actually thinking that to change
something and wait for him to notice it might be a fun new game. I don't
know about the green stripe though.

quicker)

Old June 12th 05, 12:20 PM
Roberta

Ohh Sharon (((HUGGS)))
I know how you feel (Hubbies in the military and currently on
deployment)
If I could offer you advice, I would. I have been doing this for 8
years and I still cry and I still get moody. It's just a matter of
breathing, and making it one more day - everyday.
Getting some time to yourself would be good. If you have someone,
anyone that can give you a break from the girls. I always try new
things while he's gone - a new book, a new store, start a new quilt.
If there are things you like that he doesn't - do that (I get chinese
food alot and watch "chick" movies)

As for the girls - try to make things special for them too. Take em
to the zoo, out for an ice cream just because, As dor them missing
their dad - I don't know how old they are but one thing that many
military dads do for their young kids is record themselves (tape or
video tape) reading books to their children.

Make him send postcards or pictures and then sit with the kids and
learn about where he is.

I hope you can get anything from all this - even if it just comfort in
knowing that we care about you and wish we could make it better

When things get really hard - I always remind myself that a few months
of absense isn't so bad since I have the rest of my life to spend with
him. (I also remind myself that there are alot of wives who's husbands
aren't coming home from this war - but that doesn't apply to you )

Take care of yourself and feel free to vent anytime

If ya just need a grown up to "talk" to - I check my e-mail lots
during the day

Old June 12th 05, 01:03 PM
Bronnie

Sharon
That is really tough. It helps to get it down on paper (or screen so
to speak) and air your feelings. So good for you butI I wish we all
had solutions for your predicament. I know I have oft have wondered
what your DH does, and why he doesn't delegate - I guessed he ran his
own business, but from what you say, he doesn't. People have this
crazy idea they are indispensible when in fact, employers are taking
unjust advantage of them. He needs to appreciate and take into account
your feelings and take a stance with his employer.
I am coming down to Melb on the 23rd, so let's see if we can meet up
for a coffee or sometin'.

Luv and hugs
Bronnie

Old June 12th 05, 01:14 PM
Kris Bishop

Sharon,
Possibly , you could make light of it by pretending with the girls
to be in different locations yourself.
Tell them that tomorrow is Hawaii day & put some tropical music
on, possible do a cut and fuse wall hanging that is tropical or a
beach scene, & serve tropical foods ( ham with pineapple & fruity
drinks). Or , you could pretend an imagineary European vacation, &
serve eruopean foods, have the girls color pictures or cut out photos
of the places that you're talking about. Or a pretend Alaskan cruise
trip with the girls & eat salmon, & make a little glacier/polar bear
quilt. ( you can find a photo of a polar bear on the internet and
print it out to use for the pattern & applique him to a glacier scene ,
with white tiny beads for the smow. An imaginary Japanese trip would be
fun.
At the end of the four months ( of your husband's training
travels), you'll have several small wall quilts, your girls will have
a collections of photos that they have colored or made, & you all would
have sampled foods from around the world. ( how old are your girls?)

My husband was in the military too. He died in an army airplane crash
when my son was twelve. I was used to him traveling. ( after twenty
years in the service).

Kris ( in northern virginia)

Old June 12th 05, 02:38 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

((((((((((((Sharon))))))))))))))))) As a single parent -by choice- for 20
years you have discribed the feelings I had then - the loneliness - the bone
deep weariness - better than anyone - I hope it will be over soon dearest
friend.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
u...

Old June 12th 05, 02:51 PM
Debi Matlack

Feel free to rant any time you need to. We care, and we'll always listen.
--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?