Access to This Newsgroup

Old December 16th 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat Amos

Default Access to This Newsgroup

When the server thru which I access Newsgroups "dies", it
will not be replaced. The discussion in Nov 2009 on this site
on how to maintain access to Usenet groups has apparently expired.
I can't read it. Can someone refer me to a site that can tell me how to
gain access to this group when my server "dies"?
Old December 16th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Pat Amos wrote:
When the server thru which I access Newsgroups "dies", it
will not be replaced. The discussion in Nov 2009 on this site
on how to maintain access to Usenet groups has apparently expired.
I can't read it. Can someone refer me to a site that can tell me how to
gain access to this group when my server "dies"?

I use Thunderbird (free) and news.individual.net at approximately
$15/annual fee.

Dianne
Old December 16th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Pat Amos wrote:
When the server thru which I access Newsgroups "dies", it
will not be replaced. The discussion in Nov 2009 on this site
on how to maintain access to Usenet groups has apparently expired.
I can't read it. Can someone refer me to a site that can tell me how to
gain access to this group when my server "dies"?

P.S. I don't mind paying the annual fee. A university in Berlin
provides the service and I'm sure it helps them, as well as a learning
experience for students.

Dianne
Old December 16th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:16:18 -0600, Pat Amos wrote:

When the server thru which I access Newsgroups "dies", it
will not be replaced. The discussion in Nov 2009 on this site
on how to maintain access to Usenet groups has apparently expired.
I can't read it. Can someone refer me to a site that can tell me how to
gain access to this group when my server "dies"?

Try this one - it's free and is great - several people here use it.

news.eternal-september.org

It took me a while to get configured but it works for me also.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old December 17th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

"Pat Amos" wrote in message
When the server thru which I access Newsgroups "dies", it
will not be replaced. The discussion in Nov 2009 on this site
on how to maintain access to Usenet groups has apparently expired.
I can't read it. Can someone refer me to a site that can tell me how to
gain access to this group when my server "dies"?

In addition to using news.eternal-september.org, I also use
freenews.netfront.net. Both are completely free to use and I use Outlook
Express as my newsreader. Basic, but does the job.

Jinx

Old December 17th 09, 05:54 PM
woodswell woodswell is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Amos View Post
When the server thru which I access Newsgroups "dies", it
will not be replaced. The discussion in Nov 2009 on this site
on how to maintain access to Usenet groups has apparently expired.
I can't read it. Can someone refer me to a site that can tell me how to
gain access to this group when my server "dies"?
I have more experience with forums rather than newsgroups and prefer to read messages online. I first found this group on CraftBanter (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17) and did not even realize that it was actually a newsgroup! CraftBanter is free and has a lot of other interests represented in the groups there.

The ANG (American Needlepoint Guild - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANG_List/) and EGA (Embroiderers Guild of America - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EGA_National/) email groups are both on Yahoo Groups and I also read them online. To me, having the new and online messages accessible online with all related messages linked as a single thread makes reading and making sense of them easier.

Another plus is that if I cannot read messages for a while, I can catch up without filling my mailbox or losing messages.

Anne W.
Old December 23rd 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

And then there is always Google's at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ork/topics?lnk

in case any of the others die out or stop being free.

Google doesn't go in a thread to your Outlook Express (or whatever email you
are currently using that pulls down your newsgroup messsages) but accessible
via the web even when you are away from your regular computer.