OT Making you smarter

Old February 4th 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Making you smarter

I am going to type this real slow so those of you who are not so bright will
be able to grasp it. Making just a few tiny garments for expected
great-grandbaby son, the serger was needed to make a dainty rolled hem edge.
To do that, you Must remove the left needle. Unthreading said left-hand
needle does not produce the desired effect although that seemed logical to
me. (Logic does not always apply to sergers.) While you are messing with the
needles, you might as well insert a new needle in the right-hand location.
No matter how careful you are or how many adjustments you make, the
serger will not stitch a tiny rolled edge until (and only until) you thread
the new needle. Just thought you might need to know. Polly

Old February 4th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Polly Esther wrote:
I am going to type this real slow so those of you who are not so bright
will be able to grasp it. Making just a few tiny garments for expected
great-grandbaby son, the serger was needed to make a dainty rolled hem
edge. To do that, you Must remove the left needle. Unthreading said
left-hand needle does not produce the desired effect although that
seemed logical to me. (Logic does not always apply to sergers.) While
you are messing with the needles, you might as well insert a new needle
in the right-hand location.
No matter how careful you are or how many adjustments you make, the
serger will not stitch a tiny rolled edge until (and only until) you
thread the new needle. Just thought you might need to know. Polly

Oh, Polly! Your post made me laugh! Years ago, I had to make a ruffled
skirt for DD's ballet costume. Each ruffle (there were six of them, in
'disco sequins' fabric) had to have a rolled hem on it. Being 'clever',
just like you, I thought it'd be just as easy to unthread the left-hand
needle to make the rolled hems.

No.

After wrestling for ages with tension settings and stitch widths, I had
to give in and simply remove the blasted needle as advised in the
manual. And, just like you, I wondered why on earth the serger wouldn't
make a stitch. The right-hand needle was unthreaded.

I was purple by this stage.

Will you be posting pics of the tiny clothing???

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old February 4th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh for goodness' sake, Trish. I can't believe someone else failed to thread
the needle besides me. Do you suppose that pretty soon they're going to
take our crayons away? Probably no pictures, they are Very simple, basic
little things. I am just astounded at what baby clothes cost now - they
seem to be either sleazy or pricey. (Not that I mind, of course.) Polly

"Trish Brown"

Old February 4th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Your day will come, Sandy. Do make a note. Polly

"Sandy"
Thanks, Polly. If I ever decide to get a serger, I'll be sure to make a
note to thread the needle(s).

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

Old February 4th 12, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Crayons? Boxes of crayons?

How did you know that is what I got for Christmas?
How many? Well, you are going to have to wait until tomorrow until I can
count them.

Butterfly

Old February 4th 12, 07:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Polly Esther wrote:
Oh for goodness' sake, Trish. I can't believe someone else failed to
thread the needle besides me. Do you suppose that pretty soon they're
going to take our crayons away? Probably no pictures, they are Very
simple, basic little things. I am just astounded at what baby clothes
cost now - they seem to be either sleazy or pricey. (Not that I mind, of
course.) Polly

No one gets my crayons! (But I'll happily share with you, Polly! ;D)

I made all my kids' clothing until they were ready for high school and
saved $$$ as a result. More recently, I've offered to make baby clothes
for my DN's and DSD's babies, but was politely refused. Apparently, it's
Very Important for today's babies to be dressed like miniature adults
and not like babies. I find this so sad: they grow up quickly enough
without shovelling them into tiny jeans and midriff tops etc.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old February 4th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Betsy

On 2/3/2012 5:30 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
I am going to type this real slow so those of you who are not so bright
will be able to grasp it. Making just a few tiny garments for expected
great-grandbaby son, the serger was needed to make a dainty rolled hem
edge. To do that, you Must remove the left needle. Unthreading said
left-hand needle does not produce the desired effect although that
seemed logical to me. (Logic does not always apply to sergers.) While
you are messing with the needles, you might as well insert a new needle
in the right-hand location.
No matter how careful you are or how many adjustments you make, the
serger will not stitch a tiny rolled edge until (and only until) you
thread the new needle. Just thought you might need to know. Polly

Your lesson came too late for me. I'm afraid I've made both mistakes
with my serger. I've also managed to put the second needle back in
after the rolled hem, but forgotten to thread it.

--Betsy
Old February 4th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

I am going to type this real slow so those of you who are not so bright will
be able to grasp it. Making just a few tiny garments for expected
great-grandbaby son, the serger was needed to make a dainty rolled hem edge.
To do that, you Must remove the left needle. Unthreading said left-hand
needle does not produce the desired effect although that seemed logical to
me. (Logic does not always apply to sergers.) While you are messing with the
needles, you might as well insert a new needle in the right-hand location.
No matter how careful you are or how many adjustments you make, the
serger will not stitch a tiny rolled edge until (and only until) you thread
the new needle. Just thought you might need to know. Polly

Thanks, Polly. If I ever decide to get a serger, I'll be sure to make a

Your post made me laugh, Polly....so true and how often does soemthing
that happen to me - more times than I care to count!

-Irene
Old February 4th 12, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

This is the kind of info we really do need to make a note of and remember.

Last month I asked for ideas of what might be wrong with a friend's serger
that was acting up. I was sewing over there with a group of gals the other
day and learned that the thing was threaded wrong. I really figured since
she had been sewing successfully on the thing for so many years that she
knew how to thread it. I was wrong again. Sergers sure can be odd
machines.
Who ever suggested that threading was the problem was right (maybe Kay?)
Anyway never doubt the good advice here.
Taria

Are you smarter Kate T. Quilting 1 August 10th 09 07:21 PM
Steels Mast Making & Sail Making sailmaking 1932 Alys General Crafting 0 June 7th 08 08:38 PM
Steels Mast Making & Sail Making sailmaking 1932 Alys Marketplace 0 June 7th 08 08:38 PM
Making X's D.M.Evans Needlework 55 September 30th 04 02:48 PM
What I am making right now... :-) Aud Yarn 4 September 7th 04 03:28 PM