choosing a new serger

Old December 28th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Default choosing a new serger

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:44:13 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
Well, Kay. Wow. I don't think I ever had anyone solve a problem for me so
perfectly. My little face is smiling all the way around my head. Hot dog.
I was looking at the latest and greatest. The truth is, I really don't
want them. All I wanted was a perfect copy of what I'm comfortable with
that's not just about to fall to pieces.

I don't think it's a perfect copy -- the threading has greatly improved since
most ca. 1980 sergers, and you only have to flip a lever to roll hem instead
of change the plate -- but it's a very sturdy manual serger that its big brotherthe 5 thread takes me about 90 seconds to thread. The other thing I really
like about Juki is that these machines love Organ 15x1 needles, which are
dirt cheap in comparison with, say, Schmetz -- about $25-30/100, sometimes less
if you find a deal.

I've certainly enjoyed my Jukis.

Kay

Old December 29th 11, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default choosing, getting cut/ serger

Pat, I really don't think it is possible to cut yourself with a serger.
Never heard of anyone who did. I'm not so smug that I think I know
'everything' and reckon there's just heaps I've never heard of but that
would be quite an event. Unless, of course, you became brave enough to
change the blades yourself. (Not going to happen around here.)
To get hurt from the cutting blades, I'm thinking first you would have
to saw the backside of the serger off and reach in from behind. You wouldn't
do that, would you? Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
Yes - it was the fabric cutter that got to me in the end. I sold mine
pretty quickly!
.
In message
,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes
Just a thought- a lot of folks seem to buy sergers and seldom use
them. Maybe you could find a very gently used machine the same as
the one you have and love? I don't have a serger, never have and
know nothing about them other than they frighten me with too many
threads and a fabric cutter! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Old December 29th 11, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default choosing, serger care

Well. What a buy I found. The economy is certainly unusual/interesting but
this must be a Very good time to replace my beloved serger. The deal I
found was about 1/3 the list price and included: a carrying case (not that
I've ever been tempted to carry one), 100 needles, special feet I'll never
use, a dozen cones of thread, a video, a samples book and, and, and. They
gave me everything but the store's front door. I could ask. Anyone need a
new front door?
NOW. Let me threaten you. If you have a serger who is your good friend
and you depend on her, hie thee to a fine, reliable service techy person and
get her a cleaning/tune-up. Shame upon you if you expect her to survive
with neglect. Shame. Polly

"Kay Lancaster"

Old December 29th 11, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Polly,
My serger/overlocker has a slideback door and I did cut my finger (not
badly) because I hadn't shut the door properly.
It dropped open when I first started to sew and stupidly tried to shut it
before I took my foot of the pedal.
I got a bigger fright than cut but I am oh sooo careful now. I was fortunate
to have long finger nails and it took the nail and a tiny tiny bit of
finger.
I now make sure I turn it off at the on/off button before opening the door
for any cleaning.

Di

Old December 29th 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Me again.
You have shamed me Polly. I must admit I have never had it serviced in the
19 years I have had it.
My wish for the New Year is to get all my machines serviced by a
professional.

My NY 'TO DO' list growing longer every hour.

Old December 29th 11, 08:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

It wasn't that they could perhaps cut me, it was that they seemed so
terribly 'sure' about cutting the fabric. I could have had nightmares
about them developing lives (and minds) of their own! Remember, not
everything I do is rational gg. At the time I bought it, I was going
to 'go into business' making and selling made-to-measure leisure suits
with appliqué designs. I went to a course to learn how to do appliqué
properly, and it turned out to be just a section of a patchwork and
quilting course. Lesson 1 was log cabin - and I was utterly and
completely hooked! The rest is history.
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old December 29th 11, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone[_3_]

I learned to use an Over-locker (serger) some 57 years ago. I believe
that home machines were not available at that time unless on managed to
get a used one from a factory.
I worked in a underwear factory. I got paid for piece work.
For 24 pairs of ladies directoire knickers and mens boxers I got paid 1
old penny and three farthings. For ladies panties I got 1.1/2 pence for
24 pairs and for ladies briefs I got 1 penny for 24 pairs. That was
pre-decimal. Had to work very hard to make a decent wage and I had to
wait many years before I got my first serger.
My present one is a Janome My-lock634D.
Shirley

n 29/12/2011 08:06, Pat S wrote:
It wasn't that they could perhaps cut me, it was that they seemed so
terribly 'sure' about cutting the fabric. I could have had nightmares
about them developing lives (and minds) of their own! Remember, not
everything I do is rational gg. At the time I bought it, I was going
to 'go into business' making and selling made-to-measure leisure suits
with appliqué designs. I went to a course to learn how to do appliqué
properly, and it turned out to be just a section of a patchwork and
quilting course. Lesson 1 was log cabin - and I was utterly and
completely hooked! The rest is history.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old December 29th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Good thing too -does anybody wear liesure suits these days?
Roberta in D

Old December 29th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I've been warned that my favorite serger isn't going to last much longer.
Right now, it only goes if I have the wire to the foot control weighted
down with my 4 D battery flashlight.
Anyone have a new serger that does a beautiful tiny fine rolled edge?
I'm not going to finish seams on canvas tent stakes. The display items
I've examined at shows and dealers (none local) are never as pretty as
what my old Bernette 334DS can do. ( Only saying because I don't think
it's my superior skill level, just think most of them can't do what I want
to.) Polly

OK I must have missed reading something, but what serger did you end up
getting??
Barbara in FL who sometimes thinks of replacing my 26 yo Singer serger

Old December 29th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Ha! I'm talking 1994 here g Being so tall I could never get 'sweat
pants' long enough. So, I thought there might be tall/short, thin/fat
people 'out there' who could enjoy something that really fitted. I made
one for myself, but out of really cheap sweatshirt fabric and it didn't
last much more than five minutes!
..
In message , Roberta
writes
Good thing too -does anybody wear liesure suits these days?
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

OT choosing a kitty QI Polly Esther Quilting 42 June 23rd 04 03:11 PM
Need help choosing searobin Glass 0 April 10th 04 07:34 PM
OT-Help choosing new stove oldhag Quilting 47 October 27th 03 02:43 AM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM