quilter's dream dream puff batting question

Old January 4th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default quilter's dream dream puff batting question

Hello everyone

First off, happy new year to everyone. Hope all your wishes come true
and you find new dreams.

I am now working on yet another sampler quilt, having finally finished
the flying geese quilt for DD2 (note to self; get a picture of that
posted!).

This sampler quilt will be a biggie (as are all quilts for my bed -
duh!). And I will NOT wrestle this thing under the machine to quilt
it. And hand quilting is no really an option I don't think.

So, I've been thinking. I have a piece of dream puff batting that I'd
like to try on this quilt. I would like to cut the batting into
squares, more or less the size of the finished block, and then quilt
each block separately. Then sew all the blockst together (haven't
quite decided on/figured out the right technique), and then add
another layer of the batting and the backing in one piece and then
just quilt through the square joining lines to hold the second piece
in place. That way the backing would still be in one piece and the
additional layer of batting will help hide the seams and
irregularities caused by sewing the blocks together.

Does this make any sense at all???

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this batting? I like the
idea of the dream puff because of weight....

All thoughts are welcome.
Claudia
Old January 4th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I made a quilt with that method about 10 years ago, Claudia. It looks nice,
has held up well, is rather heavy and (!) it is an absolute beast when it's
time to make the bed. The blocks want to pouf and roll, and each one has to
be sort of pounded into submission. We've moved it to the guest room where
it doesn't have to be tamed so often. Polly

"claudia" wrote Hello everyone

Old January 4th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lyn5

On Jan 4, 7:49*am, claudia wrote:

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this batting? I like the
idea of the dream puff because of weight....

All thoughts are welcome.
Claudia

I have used this batting on a biggy quilt and when It was finished it
was soooooo heavy..not a summer quilt. Not sure if the batting comes
in different weights or not though.

Lyn
Old January 4th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

So you'd end up with a double layer of batting? Or have I lost track
somewhere...
If you are very careful and determined, it is possible (and maybe
easier) to sew a vertical row of blocks. Cut a strip of batting to
match and sandwich to the middle of your backing. Quilt. Do another
row, place right sides together over the 1st, with batting. Stitch the
seam. Trim most of the batting out of the seam allowance to cut the
bulk. Press open. Quilt. Keep going until it's all done. (Last time I
did this, I didn't catch the batting in the seam, only the top, and
just butted the next strip of batting to the previous one with a
little hand stitching. then made sure to quilt across the seam.)
Or look up "quilt as you go" and see what appears! More than one way
to do this.
Roberta in D

Old January 4th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I've never used Dream Puff batting -- don't even know what it is -- but
2 layers of batting sounds like a heavy quilt unless the batting is
really like, more like Thermore batting.

Take a look at how I did one quilt in sections. It may give you some
ideas on how to quilt yours.

Another way: Years ago, probably before I really knew what I was doing,
I machine quilted a quilt a block at a time. I layered the block with
squares of batting and backing, and quilted it. Then I joined them with
sashing strips, batting, and backing. I stacked a sashing backing, a
quilted block, a sashing strip, and a sashing batting, and stitched the
seam. I flipped them open and sewed the sashing & sashing batting to the
next block, leaving the backing free. Then I turned under the edge of
the sashing backing and hand stitched it over the seam. Repeat with
blocks to make strips of blocks the length of the quilt. Then repeat
with the strips of blocks and long strips of sashing. It was quite a bit
of hand sewing to sew the backing down, but it worked. If I remember
correctly, I trimmed a lot of the batting away from the seams.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 4th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
anthony

Great idea Claudia. Although I do agree that two layers of puff might
be a bit much. Could you use regular Dream Poly for the back batting?
Request is the thinnest loft poly. I've done something similar and like
it much better than the usual quilt as you go methods.

claudia wrote:
[...]

Regards,
anthony
(to reply privately, replace live dot com with bigfoot dot com)
Old January 4th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Hi Anthony

Yep, you get it! Request loft for the back batting instead of dream
puff sounds great. I was thinking dream puff because it is supposed to
be very light weight. Yes, I have tried other quilt as you go methods
but have yet to find the one that I really like. The problem for me is
that I end up with a quilt whose back is all "straggly" with a zillion
seams that I have to then hide by hand. This way I would not. But I
don't want a really heavy quilt either: the amount of fabric used to
make a quilt of this size is already considerably weight so the
batting has to be light. But I like fluffy! I made a log cabin quilt
using the dream cotton supreme batting and the quilt as you go, sewing
finished and quilted bloks together. That left me with a zillion seams
to cover on the back, and the strips are always just that little bit
too short to do the job comfortably. And the quilt is HEAVY!!!! I like
cotton batts so maybe a request weight cotton batt for the back
batting and the dream puff for the individual squares. I'll let you
know how this works out!

Claudia

claudia wrote:
[...]

(to reply privately, replace live dot com with bigfoot dot com)- Ocultar texto de la cita -

- Mostrar texto de la cita -

Old January 4th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

My first sampler quilt was done square by square. We had to leave extra
batting beyond the block measurement so we could add sashing, thus
reducing the number of seams when we put the thing together. Behind the
batting was a fine calico (British or Muslin US) that we quilted
through. Then at the end the made up quilt was backed by normal backing
fabric (mine was a sheet) and then this was tied or stitched though the
whole 4 layers. I found that the joins in the battings didn't seem to be
very noticable, much to my surprise.

I think this is the Georgia Bonesteel's method, more or less? but my
instructions came from mt LQS.

Don't know about that batting - sorry, but wouldn't 3 layers be very heavy.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 4th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Good luck on that, Claudia! I have never tried the "Quilt as you go" method
but have purchased Sandra Millett's book as I intend to try it in the
future. I bet you could borrow a copy from the local library and see if
your method is similar to hers, and if her method might suggest shortcuts or
perhaps less weight.

Please keep us posted on your progress, I for one am eager to hear how it
goes! And of course a picture of the finished quilt will be much
appreciated!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old January 4th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
anthony

I think you're onto something here. The poly won't shrink, cotton will.
Even with a controlled shrink, my first backs looked baggy between the
quilting grid. I eventually solved that by preshrinking my 80/20 cotton
batt. Extra work, although definitely worth it.

But the poly might stay flat without preshrinking. Plus you don't have
to worry so much about the distance between quilting stitches. As a
die-hard batting snob, I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but
poly will probably work great.

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying it on the next large project.
anthony in Clearwater

claudia wrote:
[...]

dream puff batting question claudia Quilting 4 February 13th 08 10:21 AM
Batting - Dream Wool Pat in Virginia Quilting 10 October 27th 05 01:00 AM
Batting - Dream Wool Georg Quilting 0 October 25th 05 03:35 PM
quilter's dream 2 quilter Quilting 4 August 13th 05 11:25 PM
Warm and Natural vs Quilter's Dream batting?? Debbi Quilting 24 January 13th 04 11:51 PM