How do you do labels?

Old December 28th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default How do you do labels?

I need help. I know this has been discussed before but of course I was
not paying attention.. How does everyone do there quilt label? I have to
admit I have never labeled a quilt. So I think it's time I started.
Check out the pic in my albums. I did it on my machine. It only has the
one alphabet so I can't change that. Also I did not use stabilizer so
it's not great. Which I will for the real one but I just wanted to try
this out.

Since a lot of my quilts are done all ready I am presuming I would have
to hand sew these on. But anyone try heat and bond? Did it hold up? I've
used it to hem work pants that got washed a lot and the pants wore out
before the hem ever came loose.Below is a link to the pic of the labels
I did.
Thanx
Joanna
Alberta

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55455754Ngkzvt

http://community.webshots.com/user/exrules
Or here under the "Sewing" album, it's probably the last pic.
Old December 28th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Just MNSHO, I have found that making the labels on my inkjet printer, using
muslin ironed onto freezer paper, works nicely. Almost any art program can
give you both text and graphics. I tend toward a Disney program that lets
me use Pooh and friends, but it does have limitations. I do watch the
paper/muslin combination as it feeds through, as on occasion I have not
fixed them together properly and have caused a paper jam.

After printing, I wait 10 minutes or so, then lay the label on the ironing
board with a piece of paper over it and press firmly with a hot iron. If
little or no ink transfers to the paper, I then fold over the edges and iron
them down. Pin to the back of the quilt and whip-stitch it into place.
When I send a quilt, I suggest that since the label may still be fresh, the
recipient may want to wait a month before washing. So far all labels are
still colorful and legible, even the ones that are almost 10 years old and
have seen lots of use and laundering.

I launder all quilts well before labelling and sending them off. The
laundering reveals any weaknesses in my sewing and/or quilting (or in the
fabric, my Confetti quilt still makes me a bit sad), and makes the little
bits of thread and cat hair more visible. Then I lay the quilt on my big
craft table and use some sticky thing, a lint roller or packing tape, to
remove the odd thread bits and cat hair.

HTH. But if you have an embroidery machine and know how to use it, I am
sure your labels will beat mine all hollow!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old December 28th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_2_]

Hi Joanna,

I sometimes use the printer with special material paper that can be bought
and I design the label in either Word or a graphic program then print it
off. So far no one has said the label bled - I certainly hope they haven't
not told me as I would gladly do another for them by hand. I also use a
laundry marking pen on the printed labels you can buy from the LQS.

I think your examples are great - I would love to be able to do that only my
machine doesn't have the facility.

Practice makes perfect and you could always do a fancy stitch around your
writing.

Cheers,
Di

Old December 28th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default How do you do labels?...Carolyn

That sounds way more fun, but I only have a black/white laser printer.
So I'm not sure that would work. I suppose I could try it to find out.

Also is this not quite a bit of waste if you were only printing one
label? Do you use a full sheet of paper? Then if you don't do you change
any of your printer settings?
Thanx
Joanna
Alberta

Old December 28th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy McNutt

I made my labels with my Designer 2 embroidery machine
I used the lettering in my customizing to program the
letters. You can check some of my labels on my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dreamboat116
dreamboat

Old December 28th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I think the process does not work on a laser printer, someone else on this
group is probably more knowledgeable! I suspect it might wreck your
printer.

Usually I do one label at a time, using freezer paper & muslin cut to 8-1/2"
by 11". I suppose it is wasteful, though I have never tried to do a
different size. Someday, when time permits......

Old December 28th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_4_]

I use PrintMaster to make my labels. I picked making a "card"
that is folded and then I can make 4 labels on one sheet of paper.
I like the size plus I can scan pictures whatever I want onto the
label....plus I have many options for fonts that I want to use.

Donna

Old December 28th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_5_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 02:22:45 GMT, Joanna
wrote:

[...]

I use my embroidery software to create labels and an embroidery
machine to stitch them out....then I hand sew them on.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...66907372HqKCyG

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...66907372dUrMtT

-Irene
Old December 28th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I frequently use a pigma pen or even a sharpie to write the label info
directly on the quilt back. If the quilt back is too dark or too busy to
do that, I write it on a piece of muslin and sew it on by hand after the
quilt is otherwise complete. I always include at least my name, my city
& state, and the date (usually just the year). I often include the name
I've given to the quilt (if any), the pattern name & designer, the name
of the recipient, the occasion for the gift, and any other info that
might be of interest at some time in the future.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old December 28th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Irene, those are beautiful! If I could afford an embroidery machine, your
labels alone would convince me it is worth every penny.

--

wrote:

[...]

Probably OT.. Name labels Gill Murray Needlework 21 July 3rd 05 06:01 PM
Labels MOMO Quilting 1 December 19th 04 03:16 AM
Labels Mermer30 Sewing 8 September 25th 04 03:12 AM
Labels Tamara Needlework 5 January 15th 04 03:17 AM
labels Valkyrie Quilting 8 October 16th 03 10:33 PM