Credit card fraud.

Old September 13th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

Default Credit card fraud.

On Sep 12, 12:00 pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:

No, what if someone else gets hold of the list ? I have all my cards
registered at my bank, lose one, lose all, a 1-800 number
(internationally as well) fixes the problem and cancels the card

Do you pay for this service?
Can you call them any hour of day or night?

On my list, I have xxxx'd out part of the account numbers, which I
know by heart. If some hotel maid digs around and finds the list, she
still won't be able to do much with the info.
Old September 13th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Becky A wrote:

EEEK! That's exactly why I DON'T use PayPal other than when I
absolutely have to.

They've twice told me my account doesn't exist. Once, the account had
originally been opened for a transaction with a friend, and she
confirmed that I was remembering correctly which e-mail I'd tied it to,
so the problem wasn't my confusion.

I use it only for credit card transactions with people who don't take
credit cards, and that card has a very low limit on it, so my risk of
loss is minimal.

But after that experience, there is no way that I'm telling PayPal the
number of my bank account. If someone wants to pay ME by PayPal, I
offer a better option: I have friends who have LNSs and can process your
credit card for me. You order a "gift certificate" from them, and then
I have a shopping spree.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

SEPTEMBER 8-14 NATIONAL INVISIBLE CHRONIC ILLNESS AWARENESS WEEK
http://www.invisibleillnessblog.com/

Finished 9/9/08 - Butterfly Drama (Dimensions)

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old September 13th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

val189 wrote:

On my list, I have xxxx'd out part of the account numbers, which I
know by heart. If some hotel maid digs around and finds the list, she
still won't be able to do much with the info.

I did something similar when I had multiple PIN numbers and access codes
to recall. For example, I had an account at Crocker Bank, so that
information was filed in my pocket address book under "Betty" (as in
Betty Crocker, though my Betty had no last name). I picked a local
telephone exchange, and affixed the four-digit PIN to the end. Only I
knew which phone numbers were real and which were codes; in fact, the
number in my book for Betty actually rang through at a downtown
business. The "office" phone number with my boss's first name on it was
actually the code for the alarm system; the home number for him was
actually his home number. (Well, duh, if I'm going to call him at the
office, it's the number I give out two dozen times a day and I don't
need to write it down.)

Old September 13th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:
Just had a nasty scare - some B*****d has been playing fast and loose with
my credit card! Just been talking to Cahoot fraud department, who read me
out a whole list of "purchases" - loads of them with an internet perfume
company.

How did they or you think the perp got your info?
Old September 13th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"val189" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:
Just had a nasty scare - some B*****d has been playing fast and loose
with
my credit card! Just been talking to Cahoot fraud department, who read
me
out a whole list of "purchases" - loads of them with an internet perfume
company.

How did they or you think the perp got your info?

They didn`t say. I can only think that somewhere in the past I bought
something online and someone at the place I bought whatever it was from
misapropriated the details and used them for their own nefarious means.
Lesson learned -I shall only ever use my special account with the very small
credit limit another time, or PayPal, of course.

Luckily no harm seems to have been done - just thwarted attempts were made.
However, I`m very annoyed that several attempts had been made as far back as
April and no-one told me!

Pat

Old September 14th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/13/08 12:16 PM, in article , "Pat P"
wrote:

"val189" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:
[...]

We've had issues where various chains had the entire customer credit card
info for a certain time period were stolen. New cards eventually arrive - no
damage to my account but a terrible PITA.

Worst thing was when someone tried to get a credit card and loans in my late
FIL's name. And he was dead several years at that point. Both the bank and
card company sent letters rejecting the accounts to my house. I called and
let them know it was a good thing - he was quite dead at that point. Still
don't know how the information was obtained. We shred nearly anything with
our or the kids name and address on it.

Cheryl

Old September 14th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Worst thing was when someone tried to get a credit card and loans in my late
FIL's name. And he was dead several years at that point. Both the bank and
card company sent letters rejecting the accounts to my house. I called and
let them know it was a good thing - he was quite dead at that point. Still
don't know how the information was obtained.

With me, it was an inside job. The day after I moved out, before my new
address hit the credit bureaus, the about-to-be-ex and a woman claiming
to be me tried to buy a top of the line vehicle on credit. Thankfully,
the salesman thought it a little unusual that a woman who was supposed
to be intelligent enough to be a paralegal had to ask her husband "where
do I work?", and gave them an excuse not to put the loan through on a
Sunday. And, thankfully, I don't drive for medical reasons, so it
struck my office manager as odd that I would be buying a vehicle, so
when the employment confirmation phone call came in on Monday morning,
she asked me what was going on.

But unfortunately, the government makes you put both Social Security
Numbers on joint tax returns, so my ex had easy access to mine and it
was quite easy for him to impersonate me. And since your SSN never
changes (and it's a royal PITA to get it changed, even after identity
theft) I have to remember to renew the fraud alert with all three credit
bureaus on a regular basis the rest of my life.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

SEPTEMBER 8-14 NATIONAL INVISIBLE CHRONIC ILLNESS AWARENESS WEEK
http://www.invisibleillnessblog.com/

Finished 9/9/08 - Butterfly Drama (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

Business Card ,Credit Card, ID, or Cash HOLDER justjoansetc Marketplace 0 May 22nd 06 04:59 PM
Paducah--Credit Card Fraud (?) joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 21 May 5th 06 04:19 PM
Business Card ,Credit Card, ID, or Cash HOLDER [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 5th 06 03:34 AM
Credit Card Processing MoonFish Beads 4 January 13th 05 05:55 PM
Need credit card machine roxan Beads 1 August 5th 04 07:14 PM